• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Western Province vs. Bulls, Newlands, Saturday 14, 17:00

Seaton

First XV
Club or Nation
Sharks
Province take on the Bulls this weekend in the classic north-vs-south derby.
Province are on form and top of the log, whilst the Bulls are hanging in in third.
Obviously the home team are favourites, but the Bulls do have Kirchner and Potgeiter in their ranks, which should boost there confidence going into the clash.
I am hoping for a draw, need the Sharks top of the log, need Bulls far away from their.

Here are the line-ups

Vodacom Blue Bulls: Zane Kirchner, Gerhard van den Heever, Jaco Pretorius, Stefan Watermeyer, John Mametsa, Jacques-Louis Potgieter, Ruan Snyman, Gerrit-Jan van Velze, Dewald Potgieter, Derick Kuün, Wilhelm Steenkamp, Juandré Kruger, Werner Kruger, Gary Botha (c) , Dean Greyling.

Replacements: Bandise Maku, Bees Roux, Mthunzi Mabeta, CJ Stander, Dustin Jinka, Jaco van der Westhuyzen, Jaco Engels

Western Province team: Conrad Jantjes, Fabian Juries, Tim Whitehead, Paul Bosch, Frikkie Welsh, Willem de Waal, Dewaldt Duvenage, Duane Vermeulen, Francois Louw/Nick Koster, Pieter Louw, Anton van Zyl (captain) , Adriaan Fondse, Brok Harris, Tiaan Liebenberg, Wicus Blaauw.
Reserves: Deon Fourie, JD Moller, Buhle Mxunyelwa, De Kock Steenkamp, Nick Koster/Pieter Myburgh, Conrad Hoffmann, Lionel Cronje.

Well, well...well, much closer game than I anticipated!The Blue Bulls defended very good, as did Province, so no wonder it was a try-less match.You gotta love the north- south derby!
I'm gutted that WP didn't turn their numerous opportunities into points, if they do the same against the Sharks next week they will get slaughtered!But WP won and they are still unbeaten and on top of the log, thats all that matters for now!

btw the full time score was 15 WP- Blue Bulls 12

Was a good game, Bulls had a much more effective defense than in the last few weeks.
WP are lucky to have had very few, if any, injuries this season.
As a Sharks supporter, this match concerns me, as for me this was WPs first proper test this season, and the only things that prevented them from winning by a landslide, are simple to fix (refining and working on the finishing apsect)
Which means they could put in a complete performance this weekend

Very glad the boys kept the winning momentum going against a very dogged Bulls side that are missing key players (any side just isn't the same without FdP) but still very capable. Concerns for me are missing lots of scoring opportunities; tries going begging through bad finishing and they didn't go for the 3 points something like 6 times! Still very glad that we won out in a close game as our trend in the Super14 and CC end last year was to lose the close ones.

That said, I was always more worried about teh Sharks games than the Bulls games and seeing as the Bulls game for round 1 was at home and we face twgh Sharks away.. lwets just say we can't afford NOT to go for the poles early on. Going to be a cracking game.