• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

What are the salaries like around the world??

sionepani

Academy Player
Country Flag
New Zealand
Club or Nation
New Zealand
i was just wondering what the pay rates were in the different competitions. im from nz and i know our players don't get a lot, so how much do players in your country get??

Drew Mitchell's on half a million pounds a season, which I was surprised at seeing as it's claimed the north is where all the money's at!

From I gather average Aviva premiership for young guys is around £50k and goes up to about £150k for a senior players, then the big big names can get more, up to around £250k in some cases

I suppose it's not neccesarily the salaries that are the only factor though, I mean half the Blue Bulls players in SA get more money from sponsorship deals than fae their salaries

And we can't have a salaries thread without the Top 14 being mentioned, anyone care to post some stats/ known salaries?

The average salary of a Top14 player is 10.000€ per month (8800£), (see here, in French : http://www.lepost.fr/article/2010/0...-le-match-des-sports-spectacles-francais.html) but all the big names earn MUCH more than that (and there are lots of big names even in "small" clubs like Masoe in Castres).

I know that last year Wilkinson earned (his salary) 410 000€, which is something like 370 000£, so he should get a bit more this year.
And after the World Cup with all the SH players that will join the top 14, the salaries will enter in an other galaxy. (see here, http://www.nzherald.co.nz/crusaders-rugby-team/news/article.cfm?c_id=166&objectid=10720600 Carter is supposed to get 8.25m NZD, which is 4.5millions € or 3.96m £ for three years, 1.5m € a year)

Drew Mitchell's on half a million pounds a season, which I was surprised at seeing as it's claimed the north is where all the money's at!

From I gather average Aviva premiership for young guys is around £50k and goes up to about £150k for a senior players, then the big big names can get more, up to around £250k in some cases

Junior players can look between £16-20k.
Squad players are £20-30k.
1st team regulars are normally between £25-50k.
Full Internationals can earn anything up to £300k.

Really?
I heard much different then!

I'm sure in that video where they spoke to players from different countries Ceri Jones said your average squad player is on £70k

Possible that's what the average salary works out to be when you work it out the 4 million salary cap divided between 35 players and 25 academy players.

Possible that's what the average salary works out to be when you work it out the 4 million salary cap divided between 35 players and 25 academy players.

Our pro clubs get half of that :(

Oh, and Japan is another country that needs a mention, I think I read an article the other day that said George Smith is leaving France for Japan, in persuit of more money :eek:

Junior players can look between £16-20k.
Squad players are £20-30k.
1st team regulars are normally between £25-50k.
Full Internationals can earn anything up to £300k.

hi guys,

are these figures quoted annual salaries? if so thats terrible. these guys risk seriously hurting themselves every game and they're nowhere near top footballers.

Bernard Jackman said in his (terrible) book that if you're injured for something like 20 weeks of the year your pay gets halved so rugby is a huge risk money and careerwise if you don't have other qualifications or degrees.

Speaking of money, Brian Moore said in an article that if a Euro league does come about the southern hemisphere should be worried because the top NH teams would be alot wealthier.

the whole southern hemisphere players getting payed less is only true with most players but the superstars eg. carter,mitchell,habana,genia all get payed extremely well.

Latest posts