• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

What book are you currently reading?

Mexicola - A Thousand Splendid Suns is a fantastic read! It made me laugh and cry at different things, it's so real and well, jsut amazing! I've read The Kie Runner too, but enjoyed Splendid Suns better.

Also - The Memory Keeper's Daughter is brilliant. Annoyingly I can't remember who it is written by but it's about a woman who gives birth in 1960s (i think!) America to twins. Her husband, a doctor, delivers the babies but he realises one has got Downs Syndrome he tells his wife that baby has died. Very good read.

I'm reading The Book Thief at the moment, after finding it hard to start with I'm really getting invovled in it now.

Homo Deus, the second and follow up book by Yuval Noah Harari.
Enlightening perspective and concepts.

Just finished The Iron Duke, Bobby Windsor's autobiography.

Interesting read. Tough life away from the pitch. Anyone below a certain age wouldn't believe how strictly the "amateur" rules were enforced and would probably break out in a cold sweat at the last chapter The Game's Gone Soft. Whatever you think of the game back then, it was clear that Windsor just loved playing rugby for its own sake rather than for what he could get out of it. He dropped down a level and carried on into his forties fully accepting he'd take a kicking every week from youngsters looking to make a mark.

Okay so got the amazon prime offer of 3 months free Audible and 3 free books.

Anyone have any recommendations for those 3 free audiobooks?
I tend to like everything other than sappy stuff.

Dan Simmons - Drood
Historical fiction book, in That all the characters and events are real, but he's put a horror story running through it to explain it all. Bloody loved it when I read it a few years back.

Stephen King - It
His best book, IMO. Blows the film(s) out of the water.

Motley Crue - The Dirt
Don't know if it's available as an audio book, but worth reading if not. Story of the band from when they were kids up until their reunion in the early 2000s. All first hand accounts from the members and management. Full on debauchery.

Anthony Kiedis - Scar Tissue
He has a had a full on crazy life. Not the biggest RHCP fan so only recently read this but it was brill.

Nineteen Eighty-four by George Orwell and Hanes Cymru (A History of Wales) by John Davies

Oooh, an intelac- an intellic. A clever person.

The Five Gates of Hell, by Rupert Thomson. Probably one of my favourite authors actually, up there with Iain Banks- it's just he's written one eighteenth as much...
Not as good as Divided Kingdom, but still great, really enjoyed it.

Currently reading - A Piano in the Pyrenees by Tony Hawks, a witty recounting of his French house purchase, well written with plenty of laugh out loud moments.
Never realised quite how funny this guy is.

Now reading the TALES FROM THE MABINOGION (Gwyn Thomas)
The Mabinogion are the earliest prose stories of the literature of Britain.
The stories were compiled in Middle Welsh in the 12th–13th centuries from earlier oral traditions -:

Finally finished the Dark Tower series. One of those one where I could stay up all night reading it or I'd struggle through 30 pages or so. Was an experience, probably worth it.

Anyone want a free audible book? Have a O2 code for the jungle book (With bill Bailey etc) no subscription required to redeem.

The Malazan Book of the Fallen series.

On the fourth one, fantastic fantasy series that deserves credit for being revolutionary and very very original in a genre ridden with cliches and knockoffs. Not without it's flaws but every book has been better than the one before it and the story keeps moving quickly so it doesn't get bogged down.

I've had it on my kindle for ages without getting round to reading it, so I finally read "Ready Player One" this week.
I really loved it, 80s geeky **** is my jam, so it was tailor made.
Thought the last page or two were crap (*spoiler* could tell the author really wanted to have the love story in there but it felt so tacked on and forced and cheesy to end on*/spoiler*), but other than that it was brill.

Has anyone read the book and seen the film? Have heard they changed quite a lot of the story for the film, and from the extended trailer I watched earlier it certainly looks that way - worth watching?
I read the book first because I saw people say it was way way better, but dunno whether it's gonna ruin the film for me.

I've had it on my kindle for ages without getting round to reading it, so I finally read "Ready Player One" this week.
I really loved it, 80s geeky **** is my jam, so it was tailor made.
Thought the last page or two were crap (*spoiler* could tell the author really wanted to have the love story in there but it felt so tacked on and forced and cheesy to end on*/spoiler*), but other than that it was brill.

Has anyone read the book and seen the film? Have heard they changed quite a lot of the story for the film, and from the extended trailer I watched earlier it certainly looks that way - worth watching?
I read the book first because I saw people say it was way way better, but dunno whether it's gonna ruin the film for me.

Not read the book but listened to the audiobook (Wil Wheaton is perfect for it BTW and it's a great audiobook)
Yes they changed a lot for the film the first key but especially, films alright but not anywhere near as good as the book.

What kindle do you have BTW thinking of picking one up.

What kindle do you have BTW thinking of picking one up.
Just the absolute bog standard one,
Did consider upgrading to a paperwhite but the two main differences seem to be a backlight and higher resolution - Neither of which are an issue on mine, and certainly not worth the doubled price tag

I didn't think I'd be into a kindle, and didn't get one for ages, but now I've got one i love it. So convenient being able to get any book you want in an instant.

Latest posts