• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

What book are you currently reading?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sir. Speedy @ Apr 11 2009, 08:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Started "The Odyssey" by Homer.
Love the fact it's nearly three millennia old.[/b]
When you finish that you are bound by law to read Ulysses by James Joyce. And you have to laugh at the jokes.

It's one of Laetca's favourites. :p

Should you fail, your punishment is to listen to President Obama reading all his autobiographies on the car CD as you drive through London's congestion zone.

On the seventh day you will be stuck at roadworks in Hammersmith, cursing the publishing phenomenon of victim narratives and praying for nuclear annihilation.

Am reading Brief Lives by John Aubrey - gossip from 350 years ago, some of it strange, some insightful.

Sybil by Benjamin Disreali.

EDIT: Also from time to time, the diaries of Samuel Pepys.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Prestwick @ Apr 19 2009, 10:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
EDIT: Also from time to time, the diaries of Samuel Pepys.[/b]
Pepys has a bit of raunch to him - when he lifts the maid's skirt and gives her a seeing to from behind. And a few other bits. Or am I imagining it? Read parts of it years ago.

Favourite political diary? Alan Clark vol. 1, The Thatcher Years - can't praise it enough. Gossip, wit, venom, pathos, philosophy.

And so to bed.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (shtove @ Apr 18 2009, 11:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Prestwick @ Apr 19 2009, 10:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
EDIT: Also from time to time, the diaries of Samuel Pepys.[/b]
Pepys has a bit of raunch to him - when he lifts the maid's skirt and gives her a seeing to from behind. And a few other bits. Or am I imagining it? Read parts of it years ago.

Favourite political diary? Alan Clark vol. 1, The Thatcher Years - can't praise it enough. Gossip, wit, venom, pathos, philosophy.

And so to bed.
[/b][/quote]

He lifts a lot of maids skirts! He's incredible! Although I think his wife finds out once or twice and he has to do a lot of toadying to make it up to her. Also he does the "and so to" thing to death in the initial years before his writing style smoothes out and he gets used to writing diaries.

Alan Clark simply is fantastic but I like Tony Benn's stuff too.

We read parts of the Pepys diaries in school, but we only got the cleaner bits concerning the great fire of London, catholic education, need I say more?

Of course, Ulysses, anyone funny enough to put a sticker on their room 'I finished Ulysses' should not be allowed to become a professor.

I once read the Illiad and the Odysee, when I was 11 in a version adapted for kids. Way better! I recommend the same thing for the Bible, none of the 'and A was the father of B and he lived to be fife thousand years, and B was the father to C and he was nine gajillion years old by the time he died, ...'

Another thing I'm reading, a whole lot of Agatha Christies, just finished The Man in the Brown Suit and Murder is Easy, I'm on to Nemesis now, got all the ones my possible future mother in law had double XD

I just finished reading "Playing the Enemy" (recommended) and "White Tiger" (meh engaging but nothing too special) and I'm about to move onto the "Gospel of the Flying Spaghetti Monster" (There be pirates!!)

Wondering does anyone else on this forum read? If so ............... what? Any recommendations?

As for me I'd go across multiple genres and say;
  1. Magician - Raymone E. Feist
  2. Good Omens - Pratchett & Gaiman
  3. The God Delusion - Richard Dawkins
  4. Forgotten Soldier - Guy Saier
  5. The Reality Disfunction - Peter Hamilton
Bugger have to throw in Band Of Brothers from Steven Ambrose too.

There's already a 'book' thread, but to hell with it. I'm game.

Currently reading Homer's "The Odyssey," though won't finish it for a while since I've got exams aswell.

I'd recommend:

Stranger in a Strange Land - Robert Heinlein
Time Enough for Love - Rob. Heinlein
Dune - Frank Herbert
1984 - George Orwell
<strike>Twilight - Stephenie Meyer</strike> Watchers - Dean Koontz

You may like the first one, Logo, since it's a bit of a dig at religion, politics and society; since you have The God Delusion there, maybe it's to your tastes. I dunno. :p

No idea how you can miss the book thread, it's in this same board, only pinned!

Heaven has a stripbar and beer, hell has the same but the strippers are ugly and the beer is warm, right?
I should read that gospel too sometimes :p

A Short History of Nearly Everything - Bill Bryson
King Lear - William Shakespeare (Alright, it isn't a book)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Hall @ Apr 21 2009, 12:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
A Short History of Nearly Everything - Bill Bryson
King Lear - William Shakespeare (Alright, it isn't a book)[/b]

The ICU Book 3rd edition by Paul l. Marino :lol: :lol:

Rugby Skills, Tactics and Rules updated and revised for 2009.
The History of the Reds.
American Gangster - by Max Allen Collins.
Down Among the Dead men - by Simon R. Green.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Laetca @ Apr 20 2009, 09:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
No idea how you can miss the book thread, it's in this same board, only pinned![/b]

Ahh that explains it. I come from the heights of the real rugby forum (way up the top) where the only things pinned are rules (bahhh!) and prediction competitions oh and more rules ..... I just ignore pinned posts now.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Laetca @ Apr 20 2009, 09:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Heaven has a stripbar and beer, hell has the same but the strippers are ugly and the beer is warm, right?[/b]

True, And dont forget the direct correlation between the decrease in the number of Pirates since 1800, and the steady increase in the levels of Global Warming.

Anyhoo, apologies for creating a duplicate thread. Can a mod lock this down and I'll copy and paste it into the pinned topic. No point in running two threads.

So basically in most real rugby boards here the pinend topics have lost their purpose? :p

There's an option to merge two topics, should be no trouble, I reported this yesterday :p

I think that's why Somalia doesn't have emit that much carbon dioxide, right?

My wife got 100 classic books for her nintendo DS. Currently reading 20 000 leagues under the sea. Not far into it, but it's really nicely written and engrossing.

Are YOU reading something?

I once read it, translated to Dutch though. I remember liking it, only other book I ever read by Verne was Around the world in 80 days, but in a French abbreviated version (secondary school)

Reading Pride ad Predjudice and Zombies, much better than the original.

Any books by Jodi Picoult are amazing, would rate NIneteen Minutes and The Pact as two of the greatest books of all time.

trying to get through "Icon" by Frederick Forsythe - decent piece of historical fiction, political thriller, also reading "Build Your Own Website The Right Way Using HTML and CSS" by Ian Lloyd which is actually written in a comical, humorous way - and is bearable.

The Wave by Morton Rhue = how a simple experiment to liven up a high school history class aiming at showing the necessary conditions for an autocracy to emerge gradually spirals out of control... Fascinating and terrifying at the same time... The book's made into a film.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (shtove @ May 13 2009, 09:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ChiefsFan @ May 12 2009, 10:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Reading Pride ad Predjudice and Zombies, much better than the original.[/b]
Sounds interesting, seen some publicity for it. Is it good, or just a bit of fluff?

Trying to get through The Witches of Eastwick - second attempt. Not really an Updike fan.
[/b][/quote]

If you loved P&P, you'll despise it. If you managed to make it through P&P and thought it was alright, nothing special you'll find it refreshing. If you've never read P&P or any Jane Austen or classic stories you may dislike it for it is it still written in a confusing style. It's worth atleast getting it out from your library if you can.

Latest posts