• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

What would you do in this situation?

JacksonLJ

Academy Player
Basically I've been asked to go and play for a club between Sep-April for 2 seasons. There are examples of players who've gone onto play proffesionally through the club and there are a couple of players currently who play county and other forms of rep rugby. The facilities are good, coach is involved with a professional club as well. The cost of travel should just about be covered in a basic sense and as of next month I can't start looking into learning to drive, obviously I won't be passing in 2 months though.

The only problem is to get there it will take a 15 minute walk, a 35 minute train and a 20 minute bus/10 minute uber assuming nothing is delayed and I'll have to do it 3 times a week minimum. It could easily range from 1 hour 15 mins to 1 hour 30 depending on a few things, training is between 5-7 so it'll be a rush and obviously for away games it's going to take more than that (certainly for the long ones I'll need a hotel). The last train is something like 23:40, baring in mind it will be in the middle of winter as well. On a Monday I'll have to do it after I've had lessons all day, on a Wednesday and Saturday I don't have lessons so I'll only have training. I've looked at hotels nearby and I can probably get one for £40, AirBnb is something like £20 + but I'm not sure how practical that is or whether the wages will cover it. With it being rugby obvs there's a social side to it which travelling doesn't favour, also a lot of the lads will live locally and I'm a bit nervous of being different and them thinking I'm weird. It's a massive commitment.

I've considered moving but I'd have to transfer my college and my whole life, at this stage I don't want to make that commitment. I just don't know if the travel is too much or how the practicalities fit in or whether it's worth going for it or just sticking to my local club. If you were in a position like it what would you do?

Have you looked at seeing if the club can hook you up a place to stay maybe someone has a spare bed they might be willing to let you or something?
Really don't see why you care about being different? It's the UK (I'm assuming UK due to £) their really isn't that many isolated towns and places here anymore on the whole.
Why couldn't you pass your driving test in 2 months?

End of the day IF you really want it and you think it really is the right thing to do you will make it work.

Do it... might seem like a grind now but, even if you fall short (& I sincerely hope you don't) in time you will look back satisfied that didn't just give up on a genuine opportunity without giving it your full effort 'just coz it seemed like hard work'.

Take it from some who knows a lot about the opposite of that feeling, it sucks.

Latest posts