• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

What do you expect realisticly from your country at the RWC?

Last time they played, Ireland played s**** as usual on the summer tour and got smashed but the match before that(09 long time i know but similar teams) both sides played near their best and drew(because ROG passed to Drew Mitchell) so if both sides play well it could be one of the matches of the tournament.

Last time they played, Ireland played s**** as usual on the summer tour and got smashed but the match before that(09 long time i know but similar teams) both sides played near their best and drew(because ROG passed to Drew Mitchell) so if both sides play well it could be one of the matches of the tournament.

Also last time we had about 11 injuries Ruddock was in the backrow for God's sake

Playing them in the SH will be different though, how close have Ireland got the last times they've played them down there? (genuine question: I don't know)

Playing them in the SH will be different though, how close have Ireland got the last times they've played them down there? (genuine question: I don't know)

Dunno but I think it will depend on the weather if it's wet Ireland I mean Cooper doesn't know what tactical kicking is. If it's dry Aus have the edge but not so much that it would be a dead cert.

I'm assuming you don't watch Super Rugby? Coopers kicking is pretty good these days
If you're comparing teams on paper then Australia trump Ireland in most positions (exceptions being front row and 8 - and if BOD is on a good day 13)

Actually I do and I support the Reds. He has improved but no where near Ireland standard. Ireland are at least equal at 6 and they don't exactly trash us in other positions. Now have you watched the Super 15 BO'D barely beating AAC who's in terrible form also Ireland have a better bench and right wing in Bowe ecspecially if JO'C is moved to centre. We have more experience and proven winners. Next world cup will probably be there's but not this one.

Australia has a massive team with guys like Genia, Cooper, O'Connor, Moore, Chisholm, Sharpe, Elsom, Beale, Ashley-Cooper and a bunch of talented youngsters for the future

Cooper has been kicking in-play very well this season, good enough for test rugby. If the Irish are better than Oz at anything, it is probably the rolling maul.

Actually I do and I support the Reds. He has improved but no where near Ireland standard. Ireland are at least equal at 6 and they don't exactly trash us in other positions. Now have you watched the Super 15 BO'D barely beating AAC who's in terrible form also Ireland have a better bench and right wing in Bowe ecspecially if JO'C is moved to centre. We have more experience and proven winners. Next world cup will probably be there's but not this one.
Watch pretty much every Aus/NZ team match (SA games are often on when I'm at Uni or just out in general)
AAC has been poor on the wing, but that's because he's a 15/13. If I were picking my team tomorrow I'd have him over most 13s - Same as Quade of Sexton
Scott Higginbotham/David Pocock > O'Brien/Wallace
Genia > Whichever scrummie Ireland go with
Ioane/JOC > Earls/Bowe (close with Bowe, though)
Beale > Fitzgerald

Of course this is all subjective/my opinion, I just think that Australia have some of the most talented backs around

Last edited:
I don't think JO'C is better than Bowe because I don't think wing is his best position. He's better at 12 Imo. Australia have to be favourites for this, Their SH FFS ;), but Ireland, if they play like they did against England(unlikely), they could win. But Austrailia do have better players in most positions 1, 3, 8, 13 and 14 are places where Ireland are better IMO.

Watch pretty much every Aus/NZ team match (SA games are often on when I'm at Uni or just out in general)
AAC has been poor on the wing, but that's because he's a 15/13. If I were picking my team tomorrow I'd have him over most 13s - Same as Quade of Sexton
Scott Higginbotham/David Pocock > O'Brien/Wallace
Genia > Whichever scrummie Ireland go with
Ioane/JOC > Earls/Bowe (close with Bowe, though)
Beale > Fitzgerald

Of course this is all subjective/my opinion, I just think that Australia have some of the most talented backs around

No way is Higginbottom better than O'Brien. I just said Sexton is better at tactical kicking than Cooper as he is for tackling and place kicking though Cooper of course wins with his brilliant attack he's my favourite player to watch. Fitzgerald will not be the fullback although Beale is better than ours unless Kearney (somehow) gets back to form of 09. O'Driscoll isn't most 13's. Yes it is subjective I just feel Ireland are being pinned too much as underdogs. They can beat Aus. Also I know their backline is scary good. Them and N.Z are the two teams I'm properly worried about. Also I know it seems I keep talking about him but I think PO'C would make it.

Realistically, I'd like to see Canada get victories over Japan and Tonga, and they have a slight, slight chance to beat France (they beat France A last year in the Churchill Cup and that team was bolstered was plenty of French capped players). Naturally, I don't think they'll beat New Zealand, but if they could get into the quarter-finals that would mean a lot for Canadian rugby.

they have a slight, slight chance to beat France (they beat France A last year in the Churchill Cup and that team was bolstered was plenty of French capped players).

Sorry to inform you but since but since crazy man is in charge anyone who qualifies for France has been capped. You have no chance unless Fairhurst is bothered.

Sorry to inform you but since but since crazy man is in charge anyone who qualifies for France has been capped. You have no chance unless Fairhurst is bothered.

Not highly probable that Canada will beat France, but not impossible either ... France have been very erratic this season, if you add in playing on neutral grounds, and that they play each other towards the start of the tournament when team combinations might not have gelled yet, it's a possibility.

... I'll be a bit more confident of Canada's chances in the RWC, if they can go one better than last year, and win the Churchill Cup

I am expecting ABs to get knocked out in the pool rounds, you can't be disappointed if you have rock bottom expectations right? ;)

Nah honestly anything other than a world cup win would be disappointing. Saying, no way is a New Zealand win given and I reckon by the time world cup comes around the SA and AUS teams would be just as strong as the AB. England also looked like they were getting better in the EYOT and you never which French team is going to turn up on the day.

Woah!! That's English for "stop a horse"!
There's a lot of ~crazy~ things being said up in here. First of all there is absolutely no chance in hell that Canada will beat France. You can take that to the bank!
Secondly, player-for-player it's tight enough between Aus and Ireland.
Aus front row < Ire front row
Aus second row > Ire second row
Aus back row = Ire back row
Aus out half > Ire out half
Aus scrum half >>> Ire scrum half
Aus centers = Ire centers
Aus back 3 >> Ire back 3

Aus are definite faves but Ireland have the advantage in enough positions that they could give it a right go. I also think Ireland's experience and leadership vs Australia's lack of experience and leadership may be crucial. I'd still tip Australia heavily enough though...

If the Rugby gods play ball it will be an N.Z/Aus final.

A PDV coached SA team lifting the cup would be a tragedy and an affront to all that is moral and just in the world.

Don't really think this will be Australias year but can see them under Deans with the talent they have becoming the new dominant force in world rugby post cup.

I don't think anyone is saying that Ireland can't beat Australia, but I think they'd be right in saying that Ireland shouldn't expect a win.

An Ireland team playing well (ie. our last game against England) I would expect to get to maybe the semis,quarters at least.An Ireland team playing bad (most of our game against Wales) will struggle

I think Ireland are about as likely to make it to the semis as they are to get knocked out in the pool stages. Is that fair to say?

Latest posts