• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

What do you expect realisticly from your country at the RWC?

Yep thanks Iversen.

Thats all good and well re Charles comments, but when someone makes comments like "it'd be tragic if it wasn't so funny", it dosn't lead me to believe he really has anything constructive to offer, and rather leads me to believe he was meaning something along the lines of "you Kiwis expect to win every RWC, and when you don't, its your fault for expecting to win... and 5hit- its funny!"

But I stress: that is how it COMES ACROSS

And in my first comment on this thread I stated "Surely we have learnt the lessons from past failures??!!!"
I presented it as a question. I thought it was clear that it was meant as: we have to learn from past errors.

Last edited:
Its all a moot point anyway at the end of the day.

Because even if the ABs win it; there will be the chorus of "You can't win outside NZ" after that- so there will be another bandwagon for the trolls to jump onto

I agree, Charles is a troll, its because he is French ;)

Saying that I agree with him

i dony mind th AB's winning the Wc its better than some totally undeserving team winning it as has happened in the past

From talking to some of the lands Ireland are going to win. I think they can make the semis then who knows.

I'm with Fluke Artist on this one ... To stick to the thread ***le I expect my country (New Zealand) to win the RWC.

I believe that this is a realistic expectation because:

1/ They are the number one ranked team in the world, meaning that they have consistently shown that they have the ability to beat any of the other teams.

2/ They have home ground advantage.

3/ They have the personnel and leadership to adapt their game and close out tight matches.

... so yes, they have the ability, and realistically could win it, as favourites, and given the above, they should win ... it doesn't mean they will win, or that I don't think other teams can beat the All Blacks/win the RWC, but the thread's about your country, right? - if I said (or Fluke Artist said), that the All Blacks were a certainty to win it, or that no other side could possible win it, then that would be arrogance, but we haven't have we?

I'm sure that if we don't win it, they'll be disappointment, and excuses from some quarters ... but, if they do win, I can see an exceptionally large primate starting to be taken off our backs (it ceased to be a monkey years ago) :D

... As Canada is country I now live in, here's my expectation for them - they have a tough pool with the Tonga and Japan closely matched in terms of ranking and ability.

I expect that they will win at least one game, and it would be great if they can win a couple more ... I think I read in an interview with Kieran Crowley, that securing third place in their pool is of paramount importance as it secures the much needed IRB funding.

And Australia have a way to go to match New Zealand.

Have to say, while I know we dont deserve to much respect I'm a little surprised how the majority of Australian fans are completely dismissing Irelands chances against them in the group phase. I'm not saying Ireland are that great, but Australia have been fairly inconsistent for a while now. If any team is capable of slipping up, you'd imagine its them.

I don't agree with this. Excluding Quade Cooper's defence I think the Wallabies have the most potent backline in the world. Quade Cooper, Will Genia, Adam Ashley-Cooper, James O'Conner.... it all speaks for itself.

In recent years their main issues have resulted from a weak foward pack but Robbie Deans has build something quite impressive, and they arn't far off hitting their mark.

I'd absolutely expect QF from England. I can't see them losing out to Scotland AND Argentina.
I'd also kind of expect a semi-final, although our QF is in all likelihood going to be against either France or the All Blacks, so it's by no means a done deal.
Should we come through that one, I wouldn't say the final is beyond our reach, but that's where I start hoping, rather than expecting.

I expect Ireland to get to a quarter final, but more importantly to play to their potential and give a good account of themselves, unlike the shambles that was RWC 2007 for us...

I don't agree with this. Excluding Quade Cooper's defence I think the Wallabies have the most potent backline in the world. Quade Cooper, Will Genia, Adam Ashley-Cooper, James O'Conner.... it all speaks for itself.

In recent years their main issues have resulted from a weak foward pack but Robbie Deans has build something quite impressive, and they arn't far off hitting their mark.

Yes they possess when on form probably the best attacking backs in the worls but Ireland do have a very good defense and can score trys themselves. Cooper though mesmeric in attack as you say is weak in defense just wait and see O'Brien, Heaslip, Wallace, Ferris, Healy and Bowe running at him even if he trys to hide at fullback.

Yes their pack has improved a lot but only Moore and Pocock would definately start. Elsom would for any other team in the world except mabe the A.B's but O'Brien and Ferris are world class. I'm not saying Ireland will definately win but it will be bloody close.

I expect Ireland to reach the quarter finals at the bare minimum, anything beyond that would be a huge bonus. Can't see us managing to overturn the Wallabies in the group stage and I expect South Africa to grind out a result against us in the quarter final. I hope I'm wrong though.

I just realised; I am definitely going to be gutted about the world cup. Unless Ireland miraculously win the competition there is no way I am going to be happy. If they beat Australia and go on and lose in the quarters or the semis I will be GUTTED. If they lose to Australia I will be GUTTED. If they then lose to SA I will be GUTTED. If they don't make it out of the group I will be depressed. I'm not gonna watch the world cup. I'm just gonna stay in bed and close my eyes.

It's going to be an extremely tight game between Ireland and Australia. If Ireland turn up on the day and play like they did I reckon they will beat Australia. Hopefully we can get Flannery and Kearney back to form and we'll be good to go. If they do manange to overcome Australia, they should make the final. If they don't and come 2nd in the group, they'll be lucky to get to the semi's.

The last time Ireland managed to beat Australia outside of their own borders is 1979 if I'm correct

As they say, always a first!

EDIT: Or should i say, always a first since 1979

What does the past matter? It's a one off game and Ireland have for more experienced players who are proven winners rather than Australia's youngsters.

Latest posts