• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

What equipment do you wear while playing?

Actually I'm partially hijacking this thread :)
I guess how much gear you wear also depends on your position - I am sure forwards will need a bit more protection.
Now how about wings in general? Is any protective gear (bar a mouthguard) common with wings?

Actually I'm partially hijacking this thread :)
I guess how much gear you wear also depends on your position - I am sure forwards will need a bit more protection.
Now how about wings in general? Is any protective gear (bar a mouthguard) common with wings? [/b]

I am/was a wing; I wear Boots, Gumshield and Grip-mits. And if it's really twatting cold, under-armour.

i wear a scrum cap when i'm playing at flanker our outside center, to protect my ears, i don't in the rare occasion i am put at fullback.
i always wear a jockstrap, and i'm not wrong for doing so, i'm protecting my junk, anyone who says anything to the contrary is an idiot.
i wear grip mits if i'm at flanker because i'm usually a jumper and it helps for drop and drives.....yes they do.
i don't wear shinguards, but wouldn't condem anyone in the front row for doing so.

I usually wear a Skins short sleeve shirt and shorts under the team kit and sometimes gloves (mostly when its wet). I'll sometimes wear a scrum cap for those games where I know its gonna get bumpy but other than that its just the first two items I've listed.

<div class='quotemain'> I'm hardcore, I don't wear anything like that. Not even a gumshield. Well, occaisonally I have strappings and what not for injuries, but other than that...yeah I'm a man. [/b]

Seem to remember you're the one who gets into a euphoric state/near orgasmic levels when you find the water stinging your wounds.

[/b][/quote]

It does hit the sport for me. As stupid and an pathetic as it sounds, I'm proud of any scars/cuts injuries I get. The way I see it, it's just a sign of having gone and done the nitty gritty work and played a good old physical game. I always come off the park with cuts, scratches and bruises and it's more down to the fact I'm a very physical player than anything.

I just don't get the people who wear all of the pads, gloves, thermals etc. More often than not, it's a fashion thing. Shoulder pads and head guards are fine, but anything else is pretty much so pointless to me. They see the international players wearing it (probably cause they're paid too) and then they go out and buy it all for themselves. Call me a cynic, but I'm quite old school.

I just don't get the people who wear all of the pads, gloves, thermals etc.
[/b]

I wear all that sort of stuff when playing sport out of necessity, not only because I'm a back and like to be able to strut. In a similar way to Stephen Larkham, I'm pretty much held together by bits of tape and strapping where competitive sport is concerned.

Can't go wrong with a bit of magic tape!

Seriously though, I see some people turning up with all of the gear on and usually they just don't have a clue. I mean, I've watched the 3rd XV at my club and they're all auld men and when I see them wearing all of that kinda stuff I want to laugh. The same goes when playing against people like that, it's almost as if they think it'll make them better.

All you ever need is medical tape, and insulating tape. If it's really cold a short sleeved thermal should do the trick - or just work harder.

Mouthguard and I tape my head for my ears ocassionaly not always, I tape my hands and my right knee
but as far as shoulder pads no!?
since when do rugby players wear shoulder pads?

I have worn Scrum cap but not anymore

when i played i was a hooker. after about 5 games i got shin pads mainly cause the oposition players would hook for my legs not the ball. I wasnt a dirty player (unless we played rangiora, i hated them lol) so i just took it and carried on.

I also wore a mouth gaurd and that was it.

when i played i was a hooker. after about 5 games i got shin pads mainly cause the oposition players would hook for my legs not the ball. I wasnt a dirty player (unless we played rangiora, i hated them lol) so i just took it and carried on.

I also wore a mouth gaurd and that was it.
[/b]

LOL! I hate Rangiora (and Hornby and Merlins for that matter) also. Especially in Hockey (played a bit of social hockey), they're all meat heads who are just out to hurt and always end up getting played off the park but don't care unless they've smacked someone in the head with a stick.

In Rugby, the dirtiest team in the Chch are has to be New Brighton though, they deliberately make their kids get held back a year or two at school so they can player with the younger guys and wreak havoc. We always found ourselves playing big Maori fellas 3 years older than us.

Cycling shorts, mouth guard, long sleeved cantabury under shirt thing and should pads. Im a fullback so in the really cold mornings standing around for long periods of the game can get quite chilly.
I dont see the point in gloves or wearing a cup lol

Shorts, cleats, jersey, padded vest, mouth piece, compression shorts, base layer. (winger)

Cycling shorts, mouth guard, long sleeved cantabury under shirt thing and should pads. Im a fullback so in the really cold mornings standing around for long periods of the game can get quite chilly.
[/b]
lol you wear cycling shorts with the padding in the ass and gooch????

<div class='quotemain'> Cycling shorts, mouth guard, long sleeved cantabury under shirt thing and should pads. Im a fullback so in the really cold mornings standing around for long periods of the game can get quite chilly.
[/b]
lol you wear cycling shorts with the padding in the ass and gooch????
[/b][/quote]
haha, no they're just compression shorts. Like cycle shorts but without the ass padding

Latest posts