• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

What ever happened to Hitro, etc.

C

C A Iversen

This thread would be a good place for any of us Southern Hemisphere guys to discuss those enigmatic and obscure rugby, league and maybe even cricket players, some of who just seemed to vanish off the scene, either near the start of their careers or towards the twilight.

It's also a good chance to bring up some ridiculous sporting odd-bods, who we can say "Remember when he was playing?"

They don't have to be current, just sort of disappeared when they were playing, or an obscure player we've all forgotten about.

Even those players who were good enough to have got only a handful of games for their country or club etc.

I'm talking about the likes of:

Hitro Okesene (League)
Heath Davis (Cricket)
Regan King (Rugby)
Royden Hayes (Cricket)
Paul Hauff (League)

and other such "Oh that guy, I remember him" favourites. Most of those were New Zealanders, but I'm sure there's other forgotten weirdo's of the past.

Lets hear them.

Regan King - Plays for the Scarlets I believe up North.

What happened to Iliesa Tanivula? He was a beast for Auckland during the 2003 NPC, was probably the most vital cog along with Orene Ai'i and Brent Ward during that campaign when we had one of the youngest teams in the comp.

Last I saw him was in the 2004 Super 12.

And Jason Death - Easily one of the Warriors best import's along with Daniel Anderson and PJ Marsh... and was probably the cheapest as well... I still remember his groupies in "Death Row"... it's a shame that he missed out on the Grand Final season.

Hitro - on the West Coast drinking Lion Red, smoking and eating pies last I heard...

What ever happened to - Murphy Su'a?

Also, whatever happened to Chester Williams? You just don't find South African wingers like him anymore.

He's the last of the great bald, black and shortish South African wingers. Him and James Small, the angriest Winger. I loved them both. Not literally.

Anger and baldness.......they were the dynamic duo.

Meeemmorrieess....

South African Sevens coach.

*edit*

From Uncle Wiki

In 2001 Williams was selected as the coach of the South African sevens team that won bronze at the 2002 Commonwealth Games and ended runners up in the World Sevens Series. He remained sevens coach until 2003.

Also in 2002 Williams released his controversial autobiography, simply ***led "Chester", in which he claimed that he was shunned by some of his team mates in the 1995 Springbok squad and even called racist names.

Williams was mentioned as one of the possible successors to Springbok coach Rudolph Straeuli after he resigned in 2003, but when the job was given to Jake White in 2004 he became coach of the Cats Super 12 team instead. He remained coach until July 2005 when he was fired after achieving only limited success. However, in 2006, he was brought back into the South African coaching ranks as the head coach of the national "A" side (a developmental side for the Boks).[1][/b]

Originally posted by Ripper@May 3 2006, 08:05 PM
South African Sevens coach.

*edit*

From Uncle Wiki

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE
In 2001 Williams was selected as the coach of the South African sevens team that won bronze at the 2002 Commonwealth Games and ended runners up in the World Sevens Series. He remained sevens coach until 2003.

Also in 2002 Williams released his controversial autobiography, simply ***led "Chester", in which he claimed that he was shunned by some of his team mates in the 1995 Springbok squad and even called racist names.

Williams was mentioned as one of the possible successors to Springbok coach Rudolph Straeuli after he resigned in 2003, but when the job was given to Jake White in 2004 he became coach of the Cats Super 12 team instead. He remained coach until July 2005 when he was fired after achieving only limited success. However, in 2006, he was brought back into the South African coaching ranks as the head coach of the national "A" side (a developmental side for the Boks).[1]
[/b][/quote]

Top info, Ripper. And interesting to boot.

He's obviously been a busy man since he finished playing.

hitro is I think coaching a team on the west coast or something.

heath davis -not sure about him think he retired. not sure what he is up to now

regan king- had lots of injuries believe he is up in the northern hemisphere playing for someone.

murphy su'a went to aussie and i dont htink he came back he is almost 40 now

what happened to greg loveredge, he played one game of cricket for new zealand broke his hand and couldnt bowl (batted in first innings) never heard from him again. also henry tamariki :D (anyone remember this name?)

Last i heard jason death was playing in australia for souths in 2003

Heard Death went to Souths too, didn't Su'a try to become a pro golfer?

Think Loveridge went to England, was a shame that, meant to have been 'our Warne', but disappeared. Speaking of hyped up leggies, Brooke Walker?

I know who Hua Tamariki is, not Henry? Enlighten?

brooke walker I think has retired from cricket. he had some injures and I think retired last year.

death did go to souths not sure what he is doing now.

murph su'a I also thought was having a crack at golf.

What about old John Hopa turnning into a professional boxer it seems to be the thing now if your a league reject they go to boxing he will have trouble trying to stick those gloves up his opponnets ass :D

Retired in Sydney, after playing for Cronulla and having one final Rugby season for Southland in 1997 , I believe.

What ever happened to Simon Culhane?

He fell out with the Otago coach and then disappeared.

Originally posted by Mehrtsisagod@May 8 2006, 07:35 PM
What ever happened to Simon Culhane?

He fell out with the Otago coach and then disappeared.

Now co-coach of Southland (backs) and was the subject player of a classic match challenge on World Chamionship Rugby (the first one).

Hell of a goal kicker.

I was chucking a ball around with him at the Oreti river about 4 months ago. Good bloke.

Originally posted by C A Iversen@May 8 2006, 05:28 PM
Retired in Sydney, after playing for Cronulla and having one final Rugby season for Southland in 1997 , I believe.
I know all that but what has happened to him now????

Whatever happened to the try-scoring, high scissor-kicking, flying Otago winger Romi Ropati?

Latest posts