• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Ireland Summer Tour NZ 2022

1658188943454.png

I just wanted to post this as i think it sums up how "most" all blacks fans feel, that is wellington airport on sunday morning, Ireland weren't lucky or just played above themselves for 1 or 2 games, they were the better team, they were better drilled, executed more accurately and had a gameplan that was effective, well done

I think this is a great example of the old adage, a champion team will always beat a champion team, our plays might have good ratings in rugby challenge or something...but Ireland played as a team

*that should read "a champion team will always beat a team of champions"

so, apparently Porter has been cleared of the head clash....please keep in mind my other post as it covers how i feel about the Irish Team etc...but....any difference between that head clash and last weeks one that resulted in a RC and a 3 week ban must be tiny, but with vastly different results, retallick also having a broken face as a result that required surgery....WR seems to be trying to lose fans

Yep, gone downhill in super rugby. Watching Leinster and then super rugby you can see the different level our players are playing at week in week out. The all blacks can only hope for individual brilliance from the likes of jordan, Clarke and ione. But wait, two of them might not be available.
@Cruz_del_Sur here is me agreeing with Bruce, prior to the all blacks playing Ireland, saying he didn't like what he was seeing from New Zealand sides in super rugby

Could be interesting, but I guess it depends how much weight a good performance on this tour will carry. Let's say a player like Doak shines on tour, will it actually propel him in to the senior squad? Ultimately it's only worth having depth if you're actually prepared to use it.

I think it's main benefit will be getting lads up and running with regards to the systems and language used. Doubt anyone will get promoted on it alone but should make such transitions easier.

I think it's main benefit will be getting lads up and running with regards to the systems and language used. Doubt anyone will get promoted on it alone but should make such transitions easier.
Will also be bringing some lads that went to NZ like Coombes, Prendergast, Loughman.
Resistance from a few provinces though as it will leave some provinces bare for first few rounds of URC.

I assume these moves by Ireland (including the Toyota Challenge) are in part a response to the URC having less fixtures and providing less game time for fringe players (which is a good thing in my opinion). Presumably outside of Leinster a lot of these guys wouldn't be in the 23s for the first weeks of the URC?

I assume these moves by Ireland (including the Toyota Challenge) are in part a response to the URC having less fixtures and providing less game time for fringe players (which is a good thing in my opinion). Presumably outside of Leinster a lot of these guys wouldn't be in the 23s for the first weeks of the URC?
Alot of these guys will be starting for their provinces and needed as badly as ever at same time. Provinces effectively will have 3rd string guys in few areas for games that could be crucial come May for qualification seedings etc.

I think the SA tour is a bit silly to be honest. Players would be better off with their provinces taking a competitive URC seriously instead of playing Curry Cup sides.

I like that they're bringing former Irish Under 20s who haven't come through yet, but if guys like Coombes or Timoney are going you're just hamstringing the provinces.

Agreed. Ulster could be potentially missing most of their backline for the home game against Leinster. Surely they would benefit more from playing in that game than against the Pumas or Cheetahs.

Really devalues the URC as well - we could see from last season how a couple of points can make a huge difference at the end of the season.

Yep. I could easily see Doak, McCloskey, Hume, Baloucoune and Lowry starting on that tour when they'd benefit more from starting for Ulster. Good chance of O'Toole and Timoney going too.

Honestly, what would provide more benefit to Timoney - potentially matching up in a competitive game against Van Der Flier or playing against the Griquas?

I think it shows the IRFU are taking the RWC seriously which is nice. I feel like they've always treated it as something that would be great to do well in but not something that needs any extra effort from a normal international period.

Having a huge selection of players who've repped Farrell's system can only be a good thing imo.

Latest posts