• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Ireland Summer Tour NZ 2022

I don't want to go off topic, but it is a Monday so the actual answer is Gavin Coombes followed by PO'C and ROG.

I think Sexton wins the GOAT award BECAUSE he's absolutely elevated our teams at times. It's shown up numerous times that Ireland and Leinster have been nowhere near as competitive without him.

BO'D was a walking highlight reel throughout his career and for me the best 13 ever, but the context is important and 10 is just such an influential position that having Sexton has transferred our fortunes massively since he started and when we do underperform it's usually without him.

Does that make him the GOAT or most important?

Or does one equal the other?

Lass they all behind the greatest 9. Dunc Williams.

But I think Sexton clear ahead of BOD. All this BOD was in poor teams is BS. I'd argue BOD played in a Leinster wra that has better backline and undeachieved. And in an Irish team that had alot of Munster guys too in their peak and again underachieved.
Sexton has played in average teams and pulled them through. For both club and country.

Does that make him the GOAT or most important?

Or does one equal the other?
In terms of this question alone I'd say that they're very different things. I'd call Lomu the greatest player of all time because of the status that he achieved and the way that he changed the game. But I wouldn't have him anywhere near a list of best players or players who were most important to a team.

some pretty damning stuff, if Ireland can build on this we could be in real trouble

real stark contrast you our scattergun approach

i just saw a press conference after the game with Ardie Savea....he said he didn't know that Ireland had never won in NZ before

....he has played in all 4 losses....and this was the first one in NZ....his lack of awareness is pretty shocking, these players just dont get the history and legacy that come with the privilege of playing international rugby

I know people will say it is a bit bias but Coombes should be in 23 for Saturday. He has been excellent

Anyone reckon any of the midweek contingent have played themselves into the test side?

Coombes was very good agreed, he would need O'Mahony to miss out to make it though. Who knows?

Anyone reckon any of the midweek contingent have played themselves into the test side?

Coombes was very good agreed, he would need O'Mahony to miss out to make it though. Who knows?

I doubt it tbh. Maybe O'Toole but would again be because of injury.

Presumably one of the starters has the 23 shirt.

Not the test 15, but Frawley for Carbery?
I genuinely think if he gets more minutes at 10 for Leinster he might get there. A solid 10 and good 12. But would argue that should push Aki out of 23 for someone with 15 experience.
Coombes possibly ahead of Conan?
O'Toole will be in at 3.
Scannell wont be ahead of Herring but a word for how well he played today.

Any injury update? Surely Rongrose and POM are doubts with the HIAs.
Ringrose out. POM Fit.

Team looking like
1. Porter
2. Sheehan
3. Furlong
4. Beirne
5. Ryan
6. POM
7. Van Der Flier
8. Doris
9. JGP
10. Sexton
11. Lowe
12. Aki
13. Henshaw
14. Hansen
15. Hugo

2 Rumoured benches

16. Herring
17. Healy
18. Bealham
19. Treadwell
20.Conan
21. Murray
22. Carbery
23. Earls

16. Herring
17. Healy
18. Bealham
19. Treadwell
20.Conan
21. Timoney
22. Murray
23. Carbery

Ringrose out. POM Fit.

Team looking like
1. Porter
2. Sheehan
3. Furlong
4. Beirne
5. Ryan
6. POM
7. Van Der Flier
8. Doris
9. JGP
10. Sexton
11. Lowe
12. Aki
13. Henshaw
14. Hansen
15. Hugo

2 Rumoured benches

16. Herring
17. Healy
18. Bealham
19. Treadwell
20.Conan
21. Murray
22. Carbery
23. Earls

16. Herring
17. Healy
18. Bealham
19. Treadwell
20.Conan
21. Timoney
22. Murray
23. Carbery
Wouldn't really be opposed to option B there. Earls (or Larmour/whoever) doesn't really provide much extra cover, just an extra back in the case of injuries.

Realistically, Timoney has done more both on this tour and this season to be in the first 23 than Earls, and going forward we have both the forward depth and the back versatility to pull off a 6-2 split long term. Frawley would be ideal if he can get enough time at 10, but Carbery doesn't provide a complete lack of cover either. The one worry is that with Sexton's lack of durability it leaves us badly short of backs if anyone else gets hurt.

Wouldn't really be opposed to option B there. Earls (or Larmour/whoever) doesn't really provide much extra cover, just an extra back in the case of injuries.

Realistically, Timoney has done more both on this tour and this season to be in the first 23 than Earls, and going forward we have both the forward depth and the back versatility to pull off a 6-2 split long term. Frawley would be ideal if he can get enough time at 10, but Carbery doesn't provide a complete lack of cover either. The one worry is that with Sexton's lack of durability it leaves us badly short of backs if anyone else gets hurt.
Can't argue either way. I'm sure it will be useful to see how we go with a 6-2 split.

Latest posts