• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Ireland 6N 2022

Massive shame for Kelleher but a great opportunity for Sheehan who I think has the noticeably higher ceiling of the two (which is crazy given that Kelleher's ceiling is also damn high).

Sheehan is past it, start Buckley. Then after two games I will call for a lad playing JCT in Bandon Grammar to start.

Lowe is back bby. I can't see him getting ahead of Hansen but hell definitely land back in a squad light on left wingers. Crazy depth considering Stockdale is out too.

Big question now is Balacoune and potentially Lowry, do they get game time? Conway does have a ceiling, and really think Bala needs some time this tournament, with Maybe Lowry in 23 shirt?

Big question now is Balacoune and potentially Lowry, do they get game time? Conway does have a ceiling, and really think Bala needs some time this tournament, with Maybe Lowry in 23 shirt?
I think they're the most likely guys to get a run out of players who are yet to start. I'd be happy to see our strongest team from 1-13 with those two in. But at a minimum Balacoune needs the hit out, he has the talent to elevate the team again.

If Sexton isn't back to full health I'd like Lowry to be number 22, time to give up on Carty in my opinion, showed again this weekend that he simply can't control a game, his tactical kicking consists of booting it as far as he can and immediately inviting pressure from the back three.

Up front I'd really like Coombes or Timoney to get the bench spot. POM is still the best option until Conners gets fit again but I think we need to be looking at either of those two or Deegan as bench options v France or SA (or a strong England) where size matters!

I think they're the most likely guys to get a run out of players who are yet to start. I'd be happy to see our strongest team from 1-13 with those two in. But at a minimum Balacoune needs the hit out, he has the talent to elevate the team again.

If Sexton isn't back to full health I'd like Lowry to be number 22, time to give up on Carty in my opinion, showed again this weekend that he simply can't control a game, his tactical kicking consists of booting it as far as he can and immediately inviting pressure from the back three.

Up front I'd really like Coombes or Timoney to get the bench spot. POM is still the best option until Conners gets fit again but I think we need to be looking at either of those two or Deegan as bench options v France or SA (or a strong England) where size matters!
I'd say maybe Coombes over Timoney, I think Timoney's ceiling is where he currently is, whereas Coombes has a lot more to give. Timoney is massive but still has a little technical work to do in using the size and strength he's got

Lowry at 22 is interesting, I don't think he has the control of a game that you'd like if he played 10, but that's purely from lack of playing time for Ulster as well, thats something you learn. Either way, the boy can cut loose

I'd say maybe Coombes over Timoney, I think Timoney's ceiling is where he currently is, whereas Coombes has a lot more to give. Timoney is massive but still has a little technical work to do in using the size and strength he's got
Yeah that's probably fair, hopefully Timoney can kick on a bit more, currently a guy that you wouldn't fear putting in with an otherwise full strength squad.
Lowry at 22 is interesting, I don't think he has the control of a game that you'd like if he played 10, but that's purely from lack of playing time for Ulster as well, thats something you learn. Either way, the boy can cut loose
I wouldn't have him as an out and out third choice 10 now but as a last 20 minute option he can't be worse than Carty, the plan would be for Carbery to go 80 and then have two outside back options.

Massive blow. Hopefully Healy can roll back the years for two games but that's a good but of dynamism we've lost in the frontrow and their carrying threat is important for our attacking system fixing defenders.

Massive blow. Hopefully Healy can roll back the years for two games but that's a good but of dynamism we've lost in the frontrow and their carrying threat is important for our attacking system fixing defenders.
I think our set play won't suffer alot as Healy/Kilcoyne will hold their own but we loose so much in open play.
But this is what we need to be tested in reacting to setbacks.

Porter has played so much rugby too the last few months between last season and this. Maybe the break will be good for him.

I think our set play won't suffer alot as Healy/Kilcoyne will hold their own but we loose so much in open play.
But this is what we need to be tested in reacting to setbacks.

Porter has played so much rugby too the last few months between last season and this. Maybe the break will be good for him.

I'm not worried about Healy's set piece but Kilcoyne still has his bad days despite improving from where he was. I don't think this is really a loss that let's us 'learn' the next two options are highly experienced and at the tail end of their career. There's no real upside to Healy staring the last two games apart from not hurting the team as much as some of the options further down the oecking order.

Has Porter played that much comparatively? He didn't play any rugby over the summer unlike most of his teammates.

Bad when it me asking you this but:

View attachment 13536
Black Guy Rap Battle GIF

I'm not worried about Healy's set piece but Kilcoyne still has his bad days despite improving from where he was. I don't think this is really a loss that let's us 'learn' the next two options are highly experienced and at the tail end of their career. There's no real upside to Healy staring the last two games apart from not hurting the team as much as some of the options further down the oecking order.

Has Porter played that much comparatively? He didn't play any rugby over the summer unlike most of his teammates.
Sorry I forgot the injury from pre Lions so that nulls my comment but did see somewhere he was among the most durable props and had high club minutes. Now that isn't linked to injury. And yes we won't learn about Healy or Kilcoyne as players but more how squad react to set backs of loosing key guys like Sexton and now Porter.
Like you never want to see it but in a RWC it happens and well it a case of getting used to trusting in the larger squad and not worrying if any guy missing.
Leinster being the example at club level.

Yeah this hurts us. Healy won't let us down, but his carrying has fallen off and he obviously won't get round the park or last as long as Porter. Kilcoyne can carry well and make big hits, but has some brain farts that Porter doesn't make and not the same weapon in the scrum. Presume we will start the more rounded set piece man and bring Kilcoyne on against tired legs. I'm not massively concerned, they're both good players and its not like losing Sexton, but losing a world class player is always an ouchie

Bad when it me asking you this but:

View attachment 13536
I was using speech to text under water.

I went from thinking this is a game that we'd be better off winning but one that doesn't matter a huge amount in the long run to it being an absolutely must win game after getting tickets (the Twickenham ticket app is absolutely shite as an aside).

I don't want to be in Twickenham, drunk off my ***s and having abused Marcus Smith for about three hours straight and lose. I couldn't handle it.

Latest posts