1. 2016 RBS Six Nations Rugby Table - The Rugby Forum
    Table updated after last fixture of the weekend

What is wrong with French Rugby?

Discussion in '2019 Guinness Six Nations' started by Highland Shaun, Feb 10, 2019 at 8:07 PM.

1. TRF_heineken

TRF_heineken RIP #J9

Country Flag:

South Africa

Club or Nation:

South Africa

Ugh! My original post was just tongue in cheek and now seems like the bandwagon is pulling towards my posts...

Calm down dammit!

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. The_Blindside

The_Blindside Senior Member

Country Flag:

England

Club or Nation:

British Irish Lions

You're a moderator; you should know better than to troll;).

4. Tayga

Tayga Member

Been following the thread .

I grew up in France and left in 1997 but I have been following French Rugby very closely - i follow thé Top 14 and read the French national and regional press when it comes to matters rugby.

So a few observations.

1. France have not had a decent team for 9/10 years .
    2. They fluked getting out of their WC pool in 2011 but could have won in the final againgst NZ if it had not been for Craig Joubert’s dodgy calls.
    3. Since then « niente » as the Italians would say

Root cause of all this lies in a complex mixture of factors. My interpretation

1. Too many foreigners in the Top 14 - and too many in key positions like 9 and 10 crowding out local talent . Toulon started the trend and the others followed thinking that they were emulating success.
    2. As a competition the Top 14 is just dire - there is some explosive rugby but generally t is stop Start affair which puts emphasis on if impact pachydermal collisions rather than seeking a balance between physicality , mobility and tactical ingenuity.
    A lot of games just degenerate into sterile collisions with slow recycling.
    The All Blacks showed us the way how to adapt to the modern game and it has taken us 5 years to understand what they were doing. The French are still clinging to a type of rugby played 15 years ago.
    3. The national coaching has been woeful since PSAint Andre took over - the selection consistency has been laughable under Novès and Brunel - just look at the last game , Brunel put 2 centres on the wing and a wing full back who has not played there for 6 years for France.
    Yes Farrel was clever but if you kick into an empty backspace because the full back is playing like a wing .... is it Huget’s fault or Brunel’s ? There loads of examples like this over many games over the past 6 years
    4. The French are less fit as international players . That is why they lose so many matches in the last 10/15 minutes even though they are ahead at half time ( just look at some recent examples , South Africa, Wales etc..) - I think their conditioning is not as good and the fact that Top 14 ball in play time is relatively low does not help.
    5. France have not had a decent 9/10 combination over the last few years
    Michalak/ Trinc Duc and Lopez have been mediocre international fly halves and they have not found a sexton/Farrel or Russel type player in a long time.

There are a few other issues but I think the a/m are the main ones that French rugby has failed to come to grips with .

But the wheel will eventually turn and France will be back. How and when I don’t know but it seems to me that the 2023 World Cup is a better bet than 2019. Magne is right - time to blood the winners of last year’s U20 World Cup with a view to having a settled side in 2023.

Much as this may displease my Irish friends , It will be New Zealand or England’s year.

• Like Like x 2
  5. The_Blindside

The_Blindside Senior Member

Country Flag:

England

Club or Nation:

British Irish Lions

5 months old, but still applies.

• Like Like x 1
  6. FrenchFan

FrenchFan Senior Member

Country Flag:

France

Club or Nation:

Toulouse

I blame the union. The national team is their responsibility. They also appoint the national coach. And their record is abysmal. Everyone here knows Brunel is a political appointment. Laporte's bitch. Outside of les Musical Chairs their selection policy is non existent. No game plan. No leaders.

The same Brunel leaders were bystanders in Paris and again at Twickenham https://www.therugbyforum.com/threads/predicted-6n-table-2019.42698/page-3#post-930686

Time to bring in the new generation. I'd pick from the U20 world champs and more. They have no mental bagage. Bamba Carbonel NTamack Woki Joseph Géraci.
    Demba Bamba was the pick among the forwards at Twickenham in a non-entity group that didn't even look like a team. Louis Carbonel took off from where he left with the U20 again. Same for Jordan Joseph at 8 who is still only 18.

Out: Guirado Picamoles Parra Lopez Bastareaud Médard - dehors !
    Keep: Poirot Priso Chat Iturria Lambey Camara Vahaamahina Dupont Huget (wing!) Fickou (centre!) Penaud Thomas
    New in: Baille Bourgarit Macalou Tolofua Alldrit Jalibert Ramos Iribaren Vakatawa Grosso Raka Retière Hamdaoui

in some positions I'd argue we have more depth than many Top 8 nations, oui Monsieur
    Hooker: Marchand, Chat, Bourgarit
    SH: Dupont, Iribaren, Couilloud
    Fly-half: N'Tamack, Jalibert, Carbonel, Belleau
    Centre: Fofana, Fickou, Vakatawa, Penaud
    FB: Ramos, Retière, Hamdaoui

Julien Marchand, Florian Verhaege and Selevasio Tolofua have been the pick of the forwards at Toulouse (Tolofua was MoM in their win over Leinster). Marchand and Verhaege have showed real leadership qualities. Jalibert is one of the most exciting young attacking 10 I've seen in this country.
    Kylan Hamdaoui has started all 18 games with SF and already notched 7 tries half way thru his first pro season. Highly rated by Heineke Meyer.

First XV
    _______
    Baille Marchand Bamba
    Lambey Verhaeghe
    Macalou Tolofua Iturria
    Dupont NTamack
    Fickou Vakatawa
    Raka Ramos Thomas

subs: Priso Chat Slimani Camara Vahaamahina Jalibert Iribaren Penaud
    Il
    The union have no excuses. The new generation is knocking on the door. The union have to put their house in order first before blaming the clubs, the Top 14 or global warming.

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2019 at 9:01 PM
Enjoyed this thread? Register to post your reply - click here!