1. 2016 RBS Six Nations Rugby Table - The Rugby Forum
    Table updated after last fixture of the weekend

What is wrong with French Rugby?

Discussion in '2019 Guinness Six Nations' started by Highland Shaun, Feb 10, 2019.

1. FrenchFan

FrenchFan Senior Member

Country Flag:

France

Club or Nation:

Toulouse

Yes the players are there. But not the other ingredients. At the moment and for the foreseeable future the cons outweight the pros though.
    This is why leading French coaches will not be easily enticed. And why the union basically are stuck for top candidates.
    Outsiders with a ‘French profile’ are not really an option. Cotter is having a nightmare at Montpellier. Schmidt said he won’t be available after Ireland.

I think the next candidate might be Pierre Mignoni. Not because he’s the most experienced (he isn’t). But because he’s a Laporte man. He was his assistant at Toulon. The union is a mafia. They won’t look outside. They will elect their own people in order to retain control. Brunel’s appointment over Noves is the perfect example.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2019
  2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. FrenchFan

FrenchFan Senior Member

Country Flag:

France

Club or Nation:

Toulouse

Of course he needed more time. Noves got 18 mths or so when Laporte got 8 years!

The bad news for les Bleus is that Brunel is staying in the job until June 2020.
    https://www.lequipe.fr/Rugby/Article/Serge-simon-prevu-comme-ca-depuis-le-debut/949326

So the union is going to waste the 1 year of the upcoming 4-year cycle after Japan. This will delay the recruitment of the next selector.
    All of this is the result of Noves sacking half-way thru his mandate without even affording him the benefit of a full mandate.

4. The_Blindside

The_Blindside Senior Member

Country Flag:

England

Club or Nation:

British Irish Lions

And if France come third in Pool C and go home early? Doubt Brunel would keep his job until 2020.

5. barthelemy

barthelemy Senior Member

Country Flag:

France

Club or Nation:

Toulouse

Makes me laugh the focus on Brunel friend of Laporte because the mess and the bad results of the french team, it is much before Brunel. Noves, PSA (They must have been good friends with Laporte and part of the "mafia" as well hahaha...) had as much bad results than Brunel (and even Lievremont despite a grand slam and a RWC final had some bad results..), lets stop the lie here please and lets look at the whole situation over the last 10 years. Then we can talk about solutions.

True, the FFR has its failings but they are not training the players most of the time, they are not tiring them as well with 35 to 40 matches a year.

A good example that shows that we are not learning is the U20s, we have an incredible generation of players there, we should aim to protect them as much as we can. They are playing a 6th nations tournament currently and they should, in a normal world, stay with the french team all along the 6-7 weeks of the tournament. But no, I saw that several important players, including Carbonnel (who is a great hope for the french team - even more because he is a fly-half and god knows that France needs good fly-halfs ) had to play with his club (toulon) on the 17th of Feb. We are just walking on our heads here....

6. barthelemy

barthelemy Senior Member

Country Flag:

France

Club or Nation:

Toulouse

Hopefully not. The RWC is a strange animal for the French team, we perform quite well in general (apart 2015, whcih is telling about the current low where the french team is) because these are the rare moments where a French national coach has the players for more than a month of proper preparation with a bit of a rest before hand and without any interferences of the clubs. Again, this is another proof of the negative impact that the number of matches has on he french form the rest of the time.

And it shows that the union is able to prepare a french team properly if we let them the time to do it.

As for coming third, possible but Argentina will have to improve much more than what they have shown since the last world cup, we beat them rather easily this last autumn (and Obviously, as a french man, I'm still sweet dreaming about making it difficult for England :D). Btw, they are also in a strange phase, most of their players are playing together with the Jaguar in Super rugby, they are playing hte 4 nations but seems to not perform very well with the national team...

7. Bruce_ma_goose

Bruce_ma_goose Senior Member

Country Flag:

Scotland

Club or Nation:

Italy

The plodding French pack in the humidity of Japan might not make half time! Basteraud might not make it past the anthem! :p

8. FrenchFan

FrenchFan Senior Member

Country Flag:

France

Club or Nation:

Toulouse

Laporte won’t sack his pal Jacques. A second eviction in 2 years would look disastrous for Laporte and the union. And its doubtful he has a credible replacement ready to step in by October. Basically they’re stuck with Brunel until 2020.

9. barthelemy

barthelemy Senior Member

Country Flag:

France

Club or Nation:

Toulouse

I just read that Parra, Camille Lopez and Wesley Fofana are going to play with their club, Clermont this weekend, isn't it fabulous ? And then they will join the french team on Sunday...

https://www.lequipe.fr/Rugby/Actual...pe-clermontois-pour-affronter-grenoble/993599

I do not care much at the end of the day because they should not play anymore for the French team but it is showing again the failure of the french rugby, we should have a group of players selected from the start for the 6th nations and this group of players should not even changed (or play any club matched) ,apart if injury, during the whole time of the tournament, this is just ridiculous.

10. barthelemy

barthelemy Senior Member

Country Flag:

France

Club or Nation:

Toulouse

An interesting match today again that showed where the french rugby is : nowhere.

Ireland was a team largely in our reach 10 or more years ago, it is not anymore, this is really sad and shows where France really is : down in world classification and not competitive anymore.

Loads of work to do and I have not a lot of hope that people have taken the measure of the issue in France unfortunately.

11. Highland Shaun

Highland Shaun Member

Will next weekend be Jacques Brunel's last match as head coach :O?

12. barthelemy

barthelemy Senior Member

Country Flag:

France

Club or Nation:

Toulouse

Good question :D As I said in several of my posts on this topic, I do not really believe that the coach is the issue of this slow death of the french rugby, the problem is deeper than just a coach change, PSA, Noves or Lievremont have met the same issues that Brunel is facing. But maybe yeah changing the coach will help, I'm really doubtful that it will change anything important for the french team.

13. Highland Shaun

Highland Shaun Member

It does not work, just ask any Italian or Scot. Scotland were bad for sacking coaches every 2yrs yet, until Vern came in, we were as bad under each coach.

14. barthelemy

barthelemy Senior Member

Country Flag:

France

Club or Nation:

Toulouse

Then we agree. The issue we have, as I explained in length on this topic, is a problem of a poor pool of french players. Players not fit to play the international level, not technically and physically adapted and trained to the requirement of today's international level. + obviously, a collective inconsistency due to same pool of players not constantly available to the french team. Ireland is playing Sexton since ages (and he rarely missed a match), us we must have played 10 guys as fly half in the same time because the guy we would like to choose as our number 1 fly half is injured or out of form, consumed by a top14 championship that makes him play too much and not at the right pace.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2019
  15. barthelemy

barthelemy Senior Member

Country Flag:

France

Club or Nation:

Toulouse

A spot on comment I just read on the guardian :

French flair which was this beautiful thing of the french rugby became finally his downfall. Why Training ? we have the french flair...Why adapting ? We can beat any team on the day..and so on.

Utter arrogance.

Enjoyed this thread? Register to post your reply - click here!