• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

What should be the H Cup qualification system?

What should be the H Cup qualification system?

• Top 8 teams from the RaboPro12, Aviva Premiership and Top 14 qualify

Votes: 41 70.7%
  • The qualification remains the same as it is currently

Votes: 17 29.3%

• Total voters
Hell, why not add the top American and Canadian teams. Might give the North American teams a much needed kick in the pants to get the top tier clubs sorted out over here.

I don't understand what you're talking about.

A third competition for the Eastern European and Iberian clubs to play in with the top two to qualify for the Amlin Challenge Cup is a great idea.

I was referring to the domestic talent pools being too stretched if, say, there were three or four Russian clubs rather than two in it. Let's say there are two sides each from Russia, Georgia, Ukraine and one each from Spain and Portugal - that's an eight team competition. I suppose it wouldn't be too bad, but there wouldn't be quarter finals. It would be interesting to see how such a league would be composed. Adding more Italian sides wouldn't hurt.

Hell, why not add the top American and Canadian teams. Might give the North American teams a much needed kick in the pants to get the top tier clubs sorted out over here.

Surely a US/Canada/Argentina league would be a better fit?

Surely a US/Canada/Argentina league would be a better fit?

Maybe, but Europe is actually closer to the USA than Argentina is, plus you don't have to worry about that whole season reverse thing. Although combining the US and Canadian club leagues couldn't hurt. We already do it for all the other sports.

I'd favour actually a more compact competition: 8 teams for Pro12, 4 from EP and 4 from Top14. FA cup format with home and away games, final played in one of the big stadiums on a rotating base.

I'd favour actually a more compact competition: 8 teams for Pro12, 4 from EP and 4 from Top14. FA cup format with home and away games, final played in one of the big stadiums on a rotating base.

You do realise there's not a chance of that happening though right?

An update on negotiations between the Celts, French and English over tournament format.

The French and English are both firmly agreed that the tournament is trimmed to 20 teams, with the RaboPro12 sides having to earn their place via qualification, and for a new third tournament for Tier 2 European nations' clubs.

The Celtic nations proposed a single extended tournament of 32 teams. With all 12 RaboPro12 sides, 10 Aviva Premiership sides and 12 Top 14 sides involved. This was rejected by the English and French.

The Celtic nations second proposal was for the Heineken Cup to remain the same, with the Amlin Challenge Cup to be reduced to 16 teams. That was also rejected.

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/english-french-agreed-cup-format-183212028.html

So their way or the highway it looks like. I hope the rabo teams have the backbone to resist it.

The Celtic nations proposed a single extended tournament of 32 teams. With all 12 RaboPro12 sides, 10 Aviva Premiership sides and 12 Top 14 sides involved. This was rejected by the English and French.
That is such a terrible idea.

Was the Celtic League even trying?
Here's one: Every Pro12 team is guaranteed qualifification, alongside ProD2 and Championship basement sides.

Was the Celtic League even trying?
Here's one: Every Pro12 team is guaranteed qualifification, alongside ProD2 and Championship basement sides.

The CRC teams will be also included, along with Namibian club sides.

So their way or the highway it looks like. I hope the rabo teams have the backbone to resist it.

Should put an end to the trade-union like menality of the Celtic league as they'll finally have to earn their keep instead of riding *whichever irish province happens to be doing well* coat tails.

Who knows, maybe they'll benifit from the experiance and attendances will improve as a result of competitive rugby all year round.

Should put an end to the trade-union like menality of the Celtic league as they'll finally have to earn their keep instead of riding *whichever irish province happens to be doing well* coat tails.

Who knows, maybe they'll benifit from the experiance and attendances will improve as a result of competitive rugby all year round.

The Ap or top 14 don't have competitive rugby all year round either if we go by your logic.

The Ap or top 14 don't have competitive rugby all year round either if we go by your logic.

Apart from promotion, relegation and European qualification based upon league position instead of none of that...

#numbnuts

Apart from promotion, relegation and European qualification based upon league position instead of none of that...

#numbnuts

How about Clermont, Toulouse, Toulon etc sending out weakened teams? Take off the blinkers boy.

Win your home games as a priority, push the away games when they can afford to.

Also, blinkers - "their way or the high way". Pffft.

"boy" - I'm old enough to be your father. And I did meet a woman in Dublin about 16 years ago...

Win your home games as a priority, push the away games when they can afford to.

Also, blinkers - "their way or the high way". Pffft.

"boy" - I'm old enough to be your father. And I did meet a woman in Dublin about 16 years ago...

So you're admitting that the French don't try to win matches. Well done!

Your interpretation perhaps, a few key points.

- French employment lay requires a 1 in 8 week break (I don't know the full ins and outs, go investigate that yourself)
- The Top 14 is a long season. Stupidly long. Burnout is a defining concern.
- The Top 14 also has relegation meaning the clubs have to pre-plan and target fixtures to ensure survival.
- To qualify for the HEC, top 14 sides are required to finish in the top six. To do so they have to win away, compete with desperate clubs fighting for ther own survival. Combined with rest-laws and burnout issues over a long season resulting in "weakened" teams being sent out, upset results can and do happen.

But no, you're correct, they're not competitive at all. A league full of dead rubbers, just like the Magners.

Your interpretation perhaps, a few key points.

- French employment lay requires a 1 in 8 week break (I don't know the full ins and outs, go investigate that yourself)
- The Top 14 is a long season. Stupidly long. Burnout is a defining concern.
- The Top 14 also has relegation meaning the clubs have to pre-plan and target fixtures to ensure survival.
- To qualify for the HEC, top 14 sides are required to finish in the top six. To do so they have to win away, compete with desperate clubs fighting for ther own survival. Combined with rest-laws and burnout issues over a long season resulting in "weakened" teams being sent out, upset results can and do happen.

But no, you're correct, they're not competitive at all. A league full of dead rubbers, just like the Magners.

So the French are allowed excuses but the Rabo countries are not. ;)

Latest posts