• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

What Would Happen if...... (Haka Related)

Doesn't the ref ask if both captains are ready before you kick off? Thats how we do it in NZ.
So I don't think you could kick off during the haka, as they won't be ready...

So if you did kick off, you'd be playing with yourselves. And it would have no bearing in the match whatsoever. So thats pretty much what would happen.

Yeah, but what i think the moral is, is because there is no IRB ruling to postpone the game for a few minutes for a haka to be performed then surely if one team declares they are ready to play and want to kick off then unless the opposition preapring to do the haka has no injury, would the ref be obliged to get on with the game?

The All Blacks have been doing the haka for years. It's tradition. If it was a new thing I'd understand.

I'm sure the refs wouldn't mind unless something was said about it before the start. The All Blacks will just do the haka in the dressers or something, and they'll be more fired up for the match.. Is that what you really want?
Have you not learned your lesson from the last time?

The fans booed when the All Blacks didn't do the haka on the field. What does that tell you?

Even though the fans and the team wants it desperately, from what I understand Getofmeland is saying, is that there is no IRB laws which makes provision for the Haka to be performed before a match.

Therefore, we are left to conclude that if the home team wanted to continue with the game without the haka there is no official rugby law to stop this from happening. Whales had been mentioned already.

On the other hand, if it's an official law that both captains must agree that they are ready before the game can commence the all black captain can just wait to give his answer until the haka was complete anyway. or not?

Oh sorry for accusing you America...wait, Hawaii's part of USA arn't they?
[/b]

Yeah but they are desperate to get back into the empire :

hawaiiana4-2.jpg

Even though the fans and the team wants it desperately, from what I understand Getofmeland is saying, is that there is no IRB laws which makes provision for the Haka to be performed before a match.

Therefore, we are left to conclude that if the home team wanted to continue with the game without the haka there is no official rugby law to stop this from happening. Whales had been mentioned already.

On the other hand, if it's an official law that both captains must agree that they are ready before the game can commence the all black captain can just wait to give his answer until the haka was complete anyway. or not? [/b]

That is exactly what I was trying to say...

First of all can I just ask, why in the world would anyone want to deny the all blacks their haka ?

It's one of the sports greatest ambassadors, it's also got nothing to do with show boating, as far as I know the HAKA is a war dance which revitalizes the playes and basically gets them psyched for the match.

If I ever saw a team try and kick off befor the haka I'd probably lose all respect for them, it's just not cool.
It's like interrupting a teams national anthem.

There's no point in being "jealous" of the haka, it's not going to hurt anybody if the haka is done, and just as the incident with whales showed it's not a bother to NZ if they have to do it in the changing rooms, who it IS going to bother is the fans, the millions of people who have come to expect this from the new zealanders.

I would be REALLY peeved if for some reason SARU told the all blacks they were not allowed to do the haka at loftus in a game against the boks. It'd be like taking away the intro to the best 80 minutes of rugby you can possibly watch.

First of all can I just ask, why in the world would anyone want to deny the all blacks their haka ?
[/b]

No one's talking about it actually happening, it's just a very interesting point to speculate over.

Some (and not the use of the word some) Kiwis seem to have become very protective in believing everyone should respect every aspect of their culture they believe to be important, while simultaneously bashing the crap out of other nations.

It's more a discussion to avoid complacency - while 99% of rugby followers respect traditions such as the haka, there is no right for it to be performed. I would never want to see it lost, but the point is simply about it not being an official part of the build up to a test match.

<div class='quotemain'>
the way you wrote it it looked like it was the americans did it not just hawaii.[/b]

Yeah but anyways BYU performed the haka. The University maybe located in Hawaii but I'm pretty sure there are Americans who attend the institute, therefore play in the football team. I've seen them perform it before.
[/b][/quote]
OOOOkay...Let's clear this American issue up.
Hawaii...it's its own state with a very seperate culture. Hawaii is like the rest of the Pacific Nations: full of islandic pride. It might be part of the Union of American States, but the culture and traditions are very, very different.
BYU is not in Hawaii. It is in Utah, and is the principal school for the Mormons (Latter Day Saints, or crazy ass ******** who got kicked out of every other state and could only find refuge in the salt flats of the desolate God-Forbiden state that is Utah). Mormons recruit heavily in the Pacific Islands, and a lot of Samoans, Tongans, Fijians, and whatever other miscelaneous islands are out there. The Pacific Islanders are big ********, genetically speaking, of course, and get heavily recruited for American Football. I played with a few of them at University. So, if one looks at the BYU football lineup one will find a tremendous amount of Samoan and Tongan's on the list. So, it's not out of whack for a few of the guys to do a haka...they do not let go of their culture...at all. Hawaii is the only state (bar Mexico and Canada...no wait, not Canada) in the union not to have lost their own identity.

Having said all this...why the hell are you so bent out of shape about the haka? It's great. It's what makes the All Blacks the All Blacks. Personally speaking I love the Kapa O Tango (whatever it's called with the lovely throat slitting motion)...that's winner talk right there.

People are missing the point.

The original debate had, which has now found its way onto the forum, was about the way other teams react to the haka.

No one is suggesting getting rid of it, merely commenting that the ABs seem to get very riled if someone dares flinch while they are performing the haka.

Personally I believe the nature of the challenge means opposition players should be able to respond in whatever way they choose.

People are missing the point.

The original debate had, which has now found its way onto the forum, was about the way other teams react to the haka.

No one is suggesting getting rid of it, merely commenting that the ABs seem to get very riled if someone dares flinch while they are performing the haka.

Personally I believe the nature of the challenge means opposition players should be able to respond in whatever way they choose.
[/b]
I'd love to see one of the Irish Fowards walk in and knock one of the All Blacks on their asses in the middle of it...now that'd be great!
Then when questioned he could say "Oh, don't you know, we Irish usually knock someone out when they get in our face...it's an Irish Tradition."

I'm pretty sure Richard Cockerhill went and eyeballed his opposite number once. Wouldn't be suprised if Brian Moore had done the same thing.

Yeah, why is everyone getting so defensive about this.
I think webby has explained the situation well enough. Nobody wants to take away the haka, but it's an interesting hypothetical situation if the home team decided there and then - after the anthems - that they wanted to start the match.
The team performing the haka would have had no time to do it prior the anthems and with the home team demanding that the game be started, would the referee oblige keeping in with the IRB rules (which doesn't state that we should wait around for the haka) and start the game?
Or do both captains have to say "We're ready." and thus ultimately let the AB's perform?

Next person that goes whining on saying "But, why do you want to take away the haka...yadda yadda yadda" gets a neg rep from me for purposefully avoiding the specific question at hand.

Was it the Lions tour that the New Zealand side complained about the Lions Responce to the Haka??

Yeah, why is everyone getting so defensive about this.
I think webby has explained the situation well enough. Nobody wants to take away the haka, but it's an interesting hypothetical situation if the home team decided there and then - after the anthems - that they wanted to start the match.
The team performing the haka would have had no time to do it prior the anthems and with the home team demanding that the game be started, would the referee oblige keeping in with the IRB rules (which doesn't state that we should wait around for the haka) and start the game?
Or do both captains have to say "We're ready." and thus ultimately let the AB's perform?

Next person that goes whining on saying "But, why do you want to take away the haka...yadda yadda yadda" gets a neg rep from me for purposefully avoiding the specific question at hand.
[/b]

Whoa getting rather defensive aren't we? :p

RC & Webby,

I know where you guys are coming from, and the answer is simple.

It's all up to the Ref. If he thinks the game should start, then so be it... we wont lose sleep over it.

It's also funny how NH people think SH people get all defensive when they bring up issues like this i personally think NH people get all offensive when we try answer the questions put forward

Was it the Lions tour that the New Zealand side complained about the Lions Responce to the Haka??
[/b]

We never complained about the Lions disrespecting the haka, Our local media just had laugh at B.O.D while facing the haka and doing something out of the ordinary then getting stretchered off a few minutes later.. If teams refuse to face the haka i have no problem with that its there choice.. You just have to face up to the media giving you arseholes about it later

Latest posts