• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

What Would Happen if...... (Haka Related)

Mate i just find it funny how he Say's Everone else's Haka and pre match entertainment is ok except if your from NZ. For the simple reason some kiwi chaps gave him a hard time. Which leaves the rest of us to answer to it[/b]

No they weren't arguing about anything, what they wanted to talk about was, as the Haka is not an official part of a pre-match build up, what would happen if a rather biased Ref blew the whistle and a team kicked off.

They're not advocating banning the haka, they're not talking about letting anybody else do their haka execept the All Blacks, they're not taking the mick out of the haka, they're just talking about a hypothetical situation.

I don't quite know how else I could explain it to you Legend, I could say it a little more slowly I suppose.

As I said, I ain't touching this with a bargepole but some of you guys down there (and you know who you are) can't just sit there and say "oooh you're out to ban the haka arncha!" because it isn't answering the question and I do believe that Rugby Cymru was going to take reputation points off of people who wouldn't answer the question.

Guys like Ripper and Welly have found time to bash out an answer, now, the time has come for you to answer the question please.

This is a hypotheticall argument put across for the sake of healthy discussion, no one is insulting anybodies religion or culture by suggesting that the HAKA is not part of the actual game itself. What is becoming clear here is that some people are so over sensitive about theoretical discussion that they are prepared to insult the people making the discussion with silly playground insults instead of taking apart the arguments these people present.

The Fact is the IRB rule book doesn't make allowance for the performance of the haka or any entertainment as such, so hypothetically if the home team wanted to kick off immediately after the anthems as was the case in Wales not long ago then they could. Realistically the game can't start until both captains showed they were ready so the NZ captain could still wait to give his agreement until the Haka was done and then unleash hell - Or do the haka indoors and then unleash hell like what was the case in Wales as we all know.

The IRB probably has a protocol that sets out what the pre-match entertainment must follow and this will obviously make allowance for Haka's Catherine Jenkins and some Zulu running about with spears etc. This is the spectacle that is international rugby entertainment and everyone one this board will hate going to a match that has no atmosphere because the pre-match build up has been removed. What these guys are saying is what IF ( a conjuction used to indicate the circumstances that would have to exist in order for an event to take place) .

Not all cultures have a Haka, it's a beautiful, powerful symbol that everyone enjoys and to be honest I think most people outside of NZ are a bit jealous of, that doesn't mean these countries and their rugby playing populus doesn't have culture, pride, and ability to play top quality rugby, hence why everyone gets the chance to perform their own sort of haka -Jenkins, the Zulu dancing, some prefer to do it when the whistle blows whatever buffs their bhudda's

So again, what will happen if the home team kicked off while NZ were doing the haka? It would be a shambles, the touch judges might stop the match and ask the kick off to be taken again etc...

Actually, I think Shtove hit it on the nail that Wales would kick off, put together a flowing move....then knock on.

Scotland would kick off and score, but very slowly and make heavy weather of it.

JDV will run for the corner, smug look on his face with NDugane on his inside and get smashed by by a covering All Black.

JDV will run for the corner, smug look on his face with NDugane on his inside and get smashed by by a covering All Black.
[/b]

Or run into one of the linesmen/cameramen.

JDV really should get done for "running without due care and attention".

That would automatically be a penalty try against the All Blacks for having to many on the field including the reserves....

Imagine what the headlines would read in the morning.. "POM'S TRY CHEAP TACTIC TO SALVAGE A WIN"

But wait imagine them tripping over the camera and Mic wires to get to the try

No you dope, England didn't a score a try, they got done for hands in the ruck!

My personal opinion

no person should be forced to respect or watch anything its common sense you just stand there and go through the "be proud stuff". If i didn't like the challenge id stare at the sky or look away and if someone didn't like that, thats there problem stiff bikkies

Knowing England or Sth. Africa, they'd go for a handy drop goal while the All Blacks were doing the haka. Shifty ********

Argentina would probably do something really rough and brutal and stereotypically mean, like drive a rolling maul through the middle of the Haka.

Meanwhile, Legend, having not bothered to even check who the All Blacks are playing, shouts out "BLOODY POMS!"

South Africa would kick off to the left side of the field for Habana to run on to and score.

Samoa would kick off straight into an All Black player's hands for Brian Lima to hit...or not because they also have a war dance of their own.

The other point I would like to bring in then...

Do you feel that the Haka should be part of the pre-game fixture, rather than just an add on that just happens, which is not an official part of the Pre-Game warmup according to the IRB?

That would stop this Hypothetical thing from happening...

Also on my point about the Lion's response to the Haka, the players and the media were very ****** off with the response as it was disrespecting their culture, according to the English Media.
[/b]
That was just the English Media drumming up some bullshit to try and make it look like that Mealamu and Umaga dumped BOD on purpose just because of the haka response.

No one cared about BOD's response, it is what an Maori elder told him to do - bring up a younger player and throw a blade of grass in the air.

Yeha, the Lions role in that felt way too scripted.
As if NZers were getting on with what they always do and the Lions were a bunch of wannabe actors doing an amateur production of a Shakespearre play in the local village hall: Not sure where they're supposed to stand; a little unsure of when it's their cue to act; and all standing there twiddling their thumbs with an impeding sense of doom.

<div class='quotemain'> And like i previously said i dont give a toss weather they do it or not, its dick heads like you who complain about someone's tradition...

Funny to note you dont say the same thing about the Pacific Islanders doing it, only the All Blacks ... Now that to me Son is what you call "arrogant"!! [/b]

Oh I am a ******** am I... You are obviously a member of the board who isn't so up himself about New Zealand being the best team in the world ever... and has to bring in about the Maori culture that they don't respect, but expect the rest of the world to respect...

The reason I don't say the same thing about the Pacific Islanders is purely because there isn't the same arogance around the Islanders as there is with the New Zealanders... The Pacific Islanders, are totally different to the New Zealanders, by the way they don't claim to be the greatest thing to walk the world of rugby...

After the 2003 World Cup, we got the whole well you didn't even play New Zealand, so how can you be World Champions, that is the Argoance that prevails in my mind, and it is the same arogance that is prevailed by some members of this board over the Haka...

I know you haven't been on here long and you are going to be trying to fight this Arogant image that certain New Zealanders have put accross which makes us all believe that all New Zealander's are Argoant... So Good Luck with that.
[/b][/quote]

hmmm.... so basicly you brought this up because you have a chip on your shoulder about kiwis and there arrogant attitude.

im maori and proud. my feeling is that if the majority of people(home and away) are not showing it respect then they should just stop doing it on the field. if the team want to do it in the changing rooms thats fine. im actually not so fussed with 'Ka Mate' because im not from Ngati Toa so its got no family significance to me.

i dont want to see the Haka done on the field if the majority of people dont want it done. its not about us forcing our culture down the throat of people that dont want it. if the all blacks are the only ones that want to do it then they can do it in the changing rooms away from people that dont want it.

i get the feeling however that the majority of fans from around the world enjoy seeing it. so as long as that's the case then they should keep doing it.

on the actual laws though... what is the IRB's official stance with pre match haka's etc??... i thought after what happend in wales the IRB were going to write it into the law books. im not sure though... also... i remember that the IRB gave haka's as the only official prematch ritual allowed at the RWC in '03.

hmmm.... so basicly you brought this up because you have a chip on your shoulder about kiwis and there arrogant attitude.

im maori and proud. my feeling is that if the majority of people(home and away) are not showing it respect then they should just stop doing it on the field. if the team want to do it in the changing rooms thats fine. im actually not so fussed with 'Ka Mate' because im not from Ngati Toa so its got no family significance to me.

i dont want to see the Haka done on the field if the majority of people dont want it done. its not about us forcing our culture down the throat of people that dont want it. if the all blacks are the only ones that want to do it then they can do it in the changing rooms away from people that dont want it.

i get the feeling however that the majority of fans from around the world enjoy seeing it. so as long as that's the case then they should keep doing it.

on the actual laws though... what is the IRB's official stance with pre match haka's etc??... i thought after what happend in wales the IRB were going to write it into the law books. im not sure though... also... i remember that the IRB gave haka's as the only official prematch ritual allowed at the RWC in '03.
[/b]

Getofmyland didn't do anything on his own, nor did he do anything because of a chip on his shoulder. Read the thread from the beginning and you'll find that this was a hypothetical discussion which started at the millennium magic meet up about "what if someone decided to kick off during the Haka, would it be allowed?" Nothing more, nothing less.

Once again to make it as clear as water: this isn't "should we ban the haka" nor is it "why is the haka rubbish". I honestly don't know how much more clear I could make this.

I'm only stepping in (again) because only Ripper and Welly have been good enough to answer the question.

And to burst the bubble there, Samoa have been doing their haka at every World Cup they've qualified, is their haka any less than New Zealand's haka? No, they're both awesome.

To be blunt guys:

Readthread.jpg

That was just the English Media drumming up some bullshit to try and make it look like that Mealamu and Umaga dumped BOD on purpose just because of the haka response.[/b]

Tosh! Utter and total tosh! There were loads of Irish fans up here who saw that tackle on BOD and were raging! Thats yet again some rubbish NZ propaganda! Do you hire North Korea to do your press releases down there or something?

That was just the English Media drumming up some bullshit to try and make it look like that Mealamu and Umaga dumped BOD on purpose just because of the haka response.

No one cared about BOD's response, it is what an Maori elder told him to do - bring up a younger player and throw a blade of grass in the air.
[/b]
Here's BOD's response - pity he couldn't give it on the pitch and express what he really meant, and still means:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQko7s5YpMs
The assault is in the first split second of the coverage - there are better pictures, but I'll let you seek them out and figure it for yourself.

Glasshoppah say: Bring up superstar in air and dump him on neck ... he not get up from that. You ween game. Blade of glass stuff all boosheet. It life, it death. Who care?

MealyMouth and Umaga should both have been red-carded. End of.

Latest posts