• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

What's a good weight for a Under 18 hooker?

username977

Academy Player
Country Flag
England
Height: 5'11
Weight: 105 KG (23.6 %bodyfat .)

I know weight is not everything but I am just curious. Basically I want to play hooker for next year (Men's), I play hooker currently I don't know if I'm ready as its more physical.

Should I work on bulking up and what weight should Ideally try to get to?

Or is my weight ok and should I focus on strength and conditioning?

Last edited:

I know weight is not everything but I am just curious. Basically I want to play hooker for next year (Men's), I play hooker currently I don't know if I'm ready as its more physical.

So depends on a few things such a what country you're in and what level you'll be playing at but certainly I wouldn't be looking to gain weight. For pretty much the weight most pro hookers who are your height are listed at. Some are heavier but depending on your style of play etc as long as you're 100+ most coaches with any clue wouldn't be too worried.

What you could improve is your body composition and that's what I'd focus on if I were you. Don't know how you measured your body fat percentage but there's probably a decent margin for error. I feel having arbitrary numbers in your head isn't the best way but if you like the safety of them 18-20% is a good range to shoot for.

I feel the way the game is at the moment pure size isn't as important anymore and you have to be mobile. To give you an example I'm a prop and finished school around 111kg I finished my latest season of mens around 101 probably around the same amount of muscle mass and much fitter. I'm not playing at the highest level and would probably want to be a couple of kgs heavier if I was playing AIL, but I am still playing at quite a good level with plenty of big people and the ones who are able to get around the pitch are the most useful. You can certainly still be very effective in the set piece being lighter but may lose a collision or two.

Sorry this got a bit rambly at the end.

So depends on a few things such a what country you're in and what level you'll be playing at but certainly I wouldn't be looking to gain weight. For pretty much the weight most pro hookers who are your height are listed at. Some are heavier but depending on your style of play etc as long as you're 100+ most coaches with any clue wouldn't be too worried.

What you could improve is your body composition and that's what I'd focus on if I were you. Don't know how you measured your body fat percentage but there's probably a decent margin for error. I feel having arbitrary numbers in your head isn't the best way but if you like the safety of them 18-20% is a good range to shoot for.

I feel the way the game is at the moment pure size isn't as important anymore and you have to be mobile. To give you an example I'm a prop and finished school around 111kg I finished my latest season of mens around 101 probably around the same amount of muscle mass and much fitter. I'm not playing at the highest level and would probably want to be a couple of kgs heavier if I was playing AIL, but I am still playing at quite a good level with plenty of big people and the ones who are able to get around the pitch are the most useful. You can certainly still be very effective in the set piece being lighter but may lose a collision or two.

Sorry this got a bit rambly at the end
Thanks for the advice, I'm trying to get leaner but still retain some of my mass, but generally I am a key ball carrier so I should probably work on mobility as you said, thanks again.

I am no expert but if I was you I wouldn't be to concerned about your weight but consecrate on your techniques and rugby skills. My friend was a small hoover but he was a good one. He had good technique and rugby skill and a big heart.