• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Whats your favourite game of all time?

Probably Red Dead Redemption 2
Feels a bit of a cheat to say that because it's so massive but then there's a reason why it's so massively popular
Close second would be Sleeping Dogs

I usually say FF7 in these lists, too, but I'm not sure how much of that is just nostalgia and I'm too afraid to try it again - though I do have the remake on the backlog to play at some point

For me my top three that I'd struggle to put in order would be:

The last of us
God of war
Skyrim

I've never played and then replayed a game as much as skyrim.

Last edited:
Ticket to Ride - Board (USA with 1910)

Computer my stock answer to be FF7 but these days I think its Suikoden II

I used to be a complete gaming nut, so thanks for the excuse to go on a trip down memory lane. Winner at the bottom.

Contenders:

Civilization 3 (20 years old and I play this now. Has flaws but basic modding can fix it to make a more balanced difficulty. I can't play Civ4+ because this, to me, is peak Civ. Playing multiplayer with a friend made lockdown a joy and cost £3!)

Neverwinter Nights (definitely the most time spent on a single game. I'm not really a fantasy buff but I loved multiplayer where you fully roleplay a character. Its like playing out a book you've written in your own head and makes it difficult to go back to single player RPGs where you play someone else's character saying someone else's words)

Syndicate (playing as a terrorist henchman was kind of unique if morally dubious)
Zelda 3 (better than 3d ones)
SFII (biggest single advancement of graphics in the history of gaming?
Secret of Mana (multiplayer SNES RPG)
FFVII (I've not replayed it in over a decade but I think it'll hold up pretty well)
Alien Resurrection (pant wettingly tense PS1 game that still spooked me in the PS3 era)
Megaman 2 (my first game when I felt like I was playing an arcade game. Iconic music and opening credits)
Elite (really showing my age, ludicrously advanced for 1984 and supremely immersive. I played it for the first time years later and it was still ahead of anything else)
Mario Kart (SNES original, best multiplayer to this day?)
ICO/Shadow of the Colossus (I just loved the setting and presentation)

Exile: Escape from the Pit (really obscure and cheap oldschool turnbased RPG which I think you can get for free https://www.spiderwebsoftware.com/exile/winexile.html . Fantastic sense of exploration and great setting)
Persona 3 (probably the best of the Atlus RPGs although they had started getting too easy by this point)

Deus Ex (PS2)
Ring of Red (PS2 turn based strategy game set in alternate post-WWII setting - only turn based RPG I've enjoyed)
Xenoblade Chronicles (peak action RPG?)
Rez (PS1 shootemup with just an immense final level visually and sonically)
Half Life 2
Portal (for similar reasons to my winner)

Panzer Front (great little PS1 tank simulator with excellent attention to detail and ability to play wildly differing US, German and Soviet tanks in great varied settings. Last level has you having to escape a destroyed Berlin before the Soviets encircle you. Intense scenarios like that and I've no interest in simulations)

Phantasy Star (Megadrive?) - played this on a PS2 megadrive collection decades after its release and was completely absorbed.

Hotel (simple board game with modified rules for my family to give it balance)

Super Cluedo (awesome board game where you get the pleasure of being able to kick opposing players to some random useless corner of the board, really competitive and accessible)

Winner:

Frequency (PS2 rythym action). Perfect difficulty (for me) and makes you feel like a god as you do things that a week a go you genuinely thought was completely impossible. Numero uno because you can't get that sort of feeling from a book or film or frankly from anything legal.

PS - (I've still got a huge backlog of Wii and PS2 games that ended my game purchasing days, but I cant see anything topping the above. Once that lt is cleared I'll be diving into 1980s and 1990s Japanese RPGs as I find these hypnotic and with a satisfyingly harsh difficulty that is lacking in many modern games that are terrified of discouraging you. Now I hear we can access US versions that were never released in Europe. From what I've seen of PS3 era onwards, nothing really grabs me so I'll just live in the past).

Tough one, the ones that spring to mind are:

Manic Miner
Sonic
Desert Strike
FIFA 95
Wipeout
Gran Tourismo
Goldeneye
Skyrim
KSP
RDR
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare

Tough one, the ones that spring to mind are:

Manic Miner
Sonic
Desert Strike
FIFA 95
Wipeout
Gran Tourismo
Goldeneye
Skyrim
KSP
RDR
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare
Some blasts from the past there!
Used to love Desert Strike,
Wipeout was one of the first PS1 games I had (think that and Crash Bandicoot were part of a bundle we had?)

FIFA 98 was the first FIFA I had, you used to be able to slide tackle the goal keeper, which was an instant red card, so I'd just do that until it was a forfeit if I was losing

Wipeout was the first PS1 game I had. I think it made a massive impression with the step up in technology from previous gen consoles.
I used to put it on and just watch the intro in amazement.

I forgot Madden 95 as well, loved a bit of Madden.

Persona 3 (probably the best of the Atlus RPGs although they had started getting too easy by this point)
I've literally finished P3:portable the past few days great game although I think both 4 and 5 are far superior story wise.

I'm also not a fan of standard difficulty it feels brutally unfair between standard monsters and bosses a lot of the time. But it later games you can whack it up if you want.

legend of zelda nintendo GIF

Witcher 3 probably...was just so big and so much to do and the DLC's are like standalone games in size

i did love the KotOR games...the first one just had a really good story

Close second would be Sleeping Dogs
Such an underrated game and a real shame with that happened to the IP and studio.

Best game of all time is so hard, depends on mood. Plenty from back in day such as Secret of Monkey Island, Doom/Quake, Super Mario Bros, etc... new ones like Elden Ring/Bloodborne, Red Dead Redemption, Forza 2/3, etc... way too many to choose or give definitive single answer.

I guess worth mentioning as an outside personal favourite for the time and many years following, Kingpin: Life of Crime. Fun SP and insane multiplayer plus the community, really special time in life and the internet for me.

Such an underrated game and a real shame with that happened to the IP and studio.
What happened with them?
I vaguely remember talk of them turning it into a movie but that was ages ago - guessing someone bought the IP then didn't have the money for a movie, so the whole things just in limbo and the Devs can't do a sequel?

What happened with them?
In short; Squeenix publisher BS (wanted F2P multiplayer game instead of sequel, microtransactions, then pulled plug, etc), internal management BS (clique, bad hires, bad retention) and overall short termism. Sleeping Dogs IP status is unknown, Squeenix did own it and sat on it for an age but may have sold it off in the last year in a big sale. United Front Games had a really good team during development of Sleeping Dogs and it showed.

Just reminded me how I loved the soundtrack/radio stations too. Way above average.

Hard to say just one, but:

Broken Sword The Shadow of the Templars
Broken Sword The Smoking Mirror
Shenmue I & II

Are always at the top.

Games for fun with friends and family.
Any of the Wii Sports games.

Top Games with mates and beer.

Golden Eye or GTA V online stunt races. NHL threes hockey.

Single player.

The Witcher 3, Mass Effect 2, Fall Out 3, Skyrim, Gta V.

I loved this old arcade game where you sat in a mock cockpit and flew a x-wing along the trenches of the death star. It had green wire graphics and ate my coins as a kid. No idea what it was called.

My winner - The Witcher 3

Games for fun with friends and family.
Any of the Wii Sports games.

Top Games with mates and beer.

Golden Eye or GTA V online stunt races. NHL threes hockey.

Single player.

The Witcher 3, Mass Effect 2, Fall Out 3, Skyrim, Gta V.

I loved this old arcade game where you sat in a mock cockpit and flew a x-wing along the trenches of the death star. It had green wire graphics and ate my coins as a kid. No idea what it was called.

My winner - The Witcher 3

Think that Star Wars game was called Star Wars Arcade.

For me, a favourite game is a like a favourite game or album - if I'm that into it, I'll play it to death, to the point that I lose enthusiasm for it.

I'm a bit surprised about all the love that Witcher 3 gets. The story is great (although having grown up on games with no story, it's a bit lost on me) and it's massive and has a fair amount of variety, but I don't think that should be enough to make up for the combat system and elevate it to GOAT status. Also, you have the bugbear of it being tough early on in a playthrough and getting progressively easier as you level up and get decent gear. I'm just getting into my second playthrough of Horizon Zero Dawn and think that this is a better game. It also has a good story, much more enjoyable combat, a decent amount of variety. My biggest gripe would be the limited amount of gear that's pretty easy to come by.

tl;dr, right now, for me, it's Horizon Zero Dawn. That said, I have FF7 and ME2 on my wish list, but have yet to find them at enough of a bargain price to encourage me to buy.

As an aside, I must stop reading threads like this and watching YouTube gaming channels. I now find myself wanting a PS4/5 and a Switch, to play ***les that aren't out on PC, or in the case of Last of Us, don't work on PC.

Latest posts