• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

When you get it...

T

toup

Just had my 4th or 5th night of serious play, and thought I'd share my thoughts...

Guys, don't judge this game on the first few hours! I'll admit I wasn't hugely impressed although it played better than WCR. It is only now that I am starting to appreciate the depth of this game. I've just started a heineken cup campaign as Stade Francais, and have scored some very varied and exciting tries, as well as enjoyed some very close games with the AI.

When I first got the game I admit I tried WCR tactics on it - spread it to the wings, little grubbers, and occasionally it worked... but then it does in real life! It is only now after starting to use the sprint more efficiently (finding the gap running at normal speed then burst through it) and using the forwards to power through with their 'sprint' mode as well as a few other discoveries, that I have really started enjoying this!.

I have got the hang of offloads a bit better and improved my attacking and defensive rucks - as you get better, so does the game!

A few pointers that might help you to get to this stage quicker:

* Don't sprint all the time - pick a line or gap and then go for it. With forwards, start your sprint just before the contact and you might bust through.

* When defending, especially goal line, don't go for the big hits - use normal tackles unless you spot a real mismatch, and even then it may be better to try to hold them up, as with good timing you can turn them over with a maul.

* Make sure if you go for a grubber you aim for space - they work well if the fullback is coming across to tackle you.

* Use the scrum half pick up if you can get the hang of it as you can usually commit a defender and give your 10 more time - although sometimes the quick pass out can be better - mix it up.

* You can get round players just using normal movement, don't use the sidestep and fend all the time, and only use offloads in reasonable amounts of space. A good example is if you get it wide to a winger quickly and he has space, think about cutting back in behind the line and looking for support that way rather than going straight outside.

* If you get the ball as a big forward in your backs line, don't just fling the ball on because he's too slow - you can make good yards powering forwards and tend to go forward in the tackle for a few extra yards.

* Be patient on attack - it is relatively easy to keep possession if you don't get isolated, so wait for a gap before you attempt a line break.

It is hard to explain some of the things I've discovered, but really have taken to this game now. I am not trying to say it is realistic as it's not, but it is more so than it's been given credit for. I am not saying it's the best game ever, but it really is good fun once you discover the hidden depth. I can see why it may have reviewed badly, as it takes some getting into. I know some will hate it and dismiss it too quickly, but I think it's full of little surprises and great fun! Can't wait for my Xbox version to come so I can get some multiplayer going...

PS sorry for the essay...

You're in trouble now toup ...
<

just wait 'til the army of TRUTH sees this!
<

Originally posted by raziel_eire@Feb 2 2006, 11:50 PM
You're in trouble now toup ...
<

just wait 'til the army of TRUTH sees this!
<
<

Just waiting for my post count to be halved...

Some of the sidesteps are absolutely amazing.

I scored a fantastic try for SA in the classic matches...

Ball comes out of the ruck centre-left of the pitch, on about the attacking 10-metre line. Sprinted into a gap with my stand-off, got tackled but managed to offload nicely to another guy who spots the overlap caused by hitting that gap, ships the ball to a forward, who draws the tackle and offloads to the winger. Winger sprints away from the flanker who got himself caught out of position, but the cover came across from the full-back and some really fast centre.

Just then, when it looks like he's going to get munched about 5 yards out and be really isolated, he pulls out a magical sidestep to avoid two tackles and just avoids a last ditch ankle-tap by another player coming back.

I watched it on the replay about 30 times.

Fantastic.

Originally posted by lazy_chesnut@Feb 3 2006, 12:19 PM
Some of the sidesteps are absolutely amazing.

I scored a fantastic try for SA in the classic matches...

Ball comes out of the ruck centre-left of the pitch, on about the attacking 10-metre line. Sprinted into a gap with my stand-off, got tackled but managed to offload nicely to another guy who spots the overlap caused by hitting that gap, ships the ball to a forward, who draws the tackle and offloads to the winger. Winger sprints away from the flanker who got himself caught out of position, but the cover came across from the full-back and some really fast centre.

Just then, when it looks like he's going to get munched about 5 yards out and be really isolated, he pulls out a magical sidestep to avoid two tackles and just avoids a last ditch ankle-tap by another player coming back.

I watched it on the replay about 30 times.

Fantastic.
BS !!!

That can't happen, you're wrong, stop pretending, it must be too easy, you can only score basic tries...etc
<

... good to hear you are enjoying it Lazy

- now get back to work on the editors!
<

That was a fist-pumping moment.

Some of the replay views are excellent as well. And you can watch them until the end of time.....or until your electricity is cut off.

I've got a whole load of stock team logos from the editing days of Rugby 05 so should be able to make some edits to the menus and logos etc.

I wish my graphics card was better. Goal-kicking is impossibly hard with my low frame rate!

I'm going to try a tv patch soon too. I did one of the most popular ones for BLIC based on (stolen from, unless a lawyer asks) the Channel 4 TV style.

Probably will do a BBC patch or something.

Originally posted by toup@Feb 3 2006, 11:33 AM
Just had my 4th or 5th night of serious play, and thought I'd share my thoughts...

Guys, don't judge this game on the first few hours! I'll admit I wasn't hugely impressed although it played better than WCR. It is only now that I am starting to appreciate the depth of this game. I've just started a heineken cup campaign as Stade Francais, and have scored some very varied and exciting tries, as well as enjoyed some very close games with the AI.

When I first got the game I admit I tried WCR tactics on it - spread it to the wings, little grubbers, and occasionally it worked... but then it does in real life! It is only now after starting to use the sprint more efficiently (finding the gap running at normal speed then burst through it) and using the forwards to power through with their 'sprint' mode as well as a few other discoveries, that I have really started enjoying this!.

I have got the hang of offloads a bit better and improved my attacking and defensive rucks - as you get better, so does the game!

A few pointers that might help you to get to this stage quicker:

* Don't sprint all the time - pick a line or gap and then go for it. With forwards, start your sprint just before the contact and you might bust through.

* When defending, especially goal line, don't go for the big hits - use normal tackles unless you spot a real mismatch, and even then it may be better to try to hold them up, as with good timing you can turn them over with a maul.

* Make sure if you go for a grubber you aim for space - they work well if the fullback is coming across to tackle you.

* Use the scrum half pick up if you can get the hang of it as you can usually commit a defender and give your 10 more time - although sometimes the quick pass out can be better - mix it up.

* You can get round players just using normal movement, don't use the sidestep and fend all the time, and only use offloads in reasonable amounts of space. A good example is if you get it wide to a winger quickly and he has space, think about cutting back in behind the line and looking for support that way rather than going straight outside.

* If you get the ball as a big forward in your backs line, don't just fling the ball on because he's too slow - you can make good yards powering forwards and tend to go forward in the tackle for a few extra yards.

* Be patient on attack - it is relatively easy to keep possession if you don't get isolated, so wait for a gap before you attempt a line break.

It is hard to explain some of the things I've discovered, but really have taken to this game now. I am not trying to say it is realistic as it's not, but it is more so than it's been given credit for. I am not saying it's the best game ever, but it really is good fun once you discover the hidden depth. I can see why it may have reviewed badly, as it takes some getting into. I know some will hate it and dismiss it too quickly, but I think it's full of little surprises and great fun! Can't wait for my Xbox version to come so I can get some multiplayer going...

PS sorry for the essay...
You have truth on your side, you are an army.

That's actually a smashing post. The more you play it, the better it gets.

Originally posted by Paddy@Feb 3 2006, 08:53 AM
The more you play, the easier it gets, more boring it gets
So you could win the world cup with Georgia could you? There's always a challenge to be had mate, and what about multiplayer?

Can be done and will be done after i finish every every competition and classic matches

Wat about multiplayer? It doesnt have online play and i have it on PC. So i cant get mates over and play unless i can shove in a joypad which i dont have

I'll advocate givng it time, it does improve with more play, the attacking aspects at least.

The issues I've highlighted in other threads still remain though, and you'll really only get enjoyable games in the long run with evenly matched teams.

Originally posted by mikeeboy@Feb 3 2006, 09:19 AM
I'll advocate givng it time, it does improve with more play, the attacking aspects at least.

The issues I've highlighted in other threads still remain though, and you'll really only get enjoyable games in the long run with evenly matched teams.
I agree about evenly matched teams - that's when you get more frequent turnovers for both teams and you are really forced to work for each try, with good play being rewarded. That said though, if you play with a lesser team then surely you'd expect less possession? I guarantee this game gets better the more you play it and as with the topic of the thread, give it a chance!

Originally posted by Paddy@Feb 3 2006, 09:18 PM
Can be done and will be done after i finish every every competition and classic matches
<

You don't have to if you don't like the game....

...Or are you just being a grumpy bum? Wanna hug?
<

is slightly less like when the opposition get over 80% of the ball, I think not. ceejay has postd on intensive care game you are either sweet or you are screwed.

somehow i don't think more time will get rid of the sprint bar. more time no doubt will change your view on the game as you will find things easier. People on this from got flamed for suggesting such a thing for rl 2 but when its mentioned for rc2006 it's now good.

this game is obiviously not perfect and things like the sprint bar will remain no matter whole many days you play it straihgt. ea06 will get to face the music in a few weeks. I wonder what peoples view on tme will be for that game

Originally posted by toup+Feb 3 2006, 09:22 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (toup @ Feb 3 2006, 09:22 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-mikeeboy
@Feb 3 2006, 09:19 AM

I agree about evenly matched teams - that's when you get more frequent turnovers for both teams and you are really forced to work for each try, with good play being rewarded. That said though, if you play with a lesser team then surely you'd expect less possession? I guarantee this game gets better the more you play it and as with the topic of the thread, give it a chance! [/b]
I would agree with less possession with a lesser team but not with a 1% chance of stealing ruck ball which is what I estimate it as.

I've come more to terms with defence now, and have had some enjoyment out of the game, especially in attack, as long as you take it as strictly an arcade experience. It is understandable why the league boys like it.

I do have issues with rucks, and noticed also last night, that on the odd occasion that you do mange to release the ball from the ruck, before the defense has fully realigned, the stragglers do not get called for offside and are free to tackle when you spin it out.

You are often reminded of the arcade experience, with "bendy", outrageous passes and it is quite annoying when an inside pass is delivered like a bullet, misses its intended target and goes flying back the length of the pitch
<

But I think all people can get varying levels of enjoyment out of the game, but for me - roll on EA's effort, I want rugby union, not rugby "fantasy" league.

Originally posted by esoj@Feb 3 2006, 11:55 PM
is slightly less like when the opposition get over 80% of the ball, I think not. ceejay has postd on intensive care game you are either sweet or you are screwed.

somehow i don't think more time will get rid of the sprint bar. more time no doubt will change your view on the game as you will find things easier. People on this from got flamed for suggesting such a thing for rl 2 but when its mentioned for rc2006 it's now good.

this game is obiviously not perfect and things like the sprint bar will remain no matter whole many days you play it straihgt. ea06 will get to face the music in a few weeks. I wonder what peoples view on tme will be for that game
I'll get rid of that sprint bar for you.

not for me. for the good of everyone on this forum with the pc version. that seriously is one of the biggest complaints about this game from people that like the game as well. so if that could be removed and the affects of ut. would be really great

Originally posted by lazy_chesnut+Feb 4 2006, 12:03 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (lazy_chesnut @ Feb 4 2006, 12:03 AM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-esoj
@Feb 3 2006, 11:55 PM

I'll get rid of that sprint bar for you. [/b]
Thats what I like, confidence. Just put it on the list behind league strips and player editor
<

Yeah whatever knowsley!

League kits....pah!

Player Editor certainly. The sprint bar will be part of the player editor.

I also think that the forwards need to be slowed down a bit as they are a little too effective. Obviously not to the point of WCR, but just a little. It'll all be in the editor anyway.

I could do with someone letting me know of some players with enormous amounts of sprint stamina, and some people with barely none. I hope it isn't just related to the players' speed...

Latest posts