• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Where does Dan Biggar go now?

Well I for one just hope our changing in structure and coaching may be just what we need. Maybe Tandy could be the change we have needed, and the big personalities can move on to grow their ego elsewhere!

A new dawn? A new Day? Nah being an Osprey mean I have to be a little pessimistic and think the worst!

I can't see us doing anything special in the HC next year with the squad we'll have. Be ready for a tough 2/3 years

What is the possible Ospreys 22 next year?
Fussell, Dirksen/E. Walker, Bishop/Dirksen, Beck, Prydie/L. Morgan, Biggar, Fotuali'i; Bevington, Hibbard, A. Jones, A.W. Jones, Evans, King, Tipuric, R. Jones; Baldwin, D. Jones, Rees, Gough, Stowers, Webb, M. Morgan, Davies
Very inexperienced back three.

So it may be that what Dan needed was a bit of trust from his Head Coach. He was very good tonight and he mixed his game up very nicely. Looks like he's just had the shackles removed, Tandy trusting him to go out there and run the game himself instead of playing to some stupid 'kick it away and feed of opposition errors' game plan of the last 18 months. A few lovely wide passes and a couple of very nice breaks as well, not too mention a brilliant performance with the boot.

Time will tell. Every now and then Biggar puts in a few performances that lead us to believe that he's turned a corner, then he'll have a mare where everything goes wrong and it's back to square one again. Biggar has been good in the last couple of games I've seen, but he's still not great. I feel he still kicks the ball away too much, although at least tonight those kicks were well judged. I also agree with the S4C panel when they put some of the blame on Biggar for the Ospreys not being able to keep their structure for more than a few fazes. Even tonight, I don't think I saw more than four fazes of play strung together by them. It seems to be all or nothing. Biggar needs to take command and tell the rest of the players where he wants them, instead of allowing Fussell etc. to take his position at first receiver after a break (as seen tonight after Shane's break in the first quarter).

Two pretty good performances from him now, fair play.
Does kick a bit much for my liking, but Dirksen, the mad bugger, goes for nearly every one.

I think Tandy will see a better use for Prydie and Ross Jones, bringing them into the 23 more and more, instead of keeping them at Swansea and Bridgend, respectively.
Dirksen to 13 and one of the nippers to wing would be my pick.

How about bringing Morgan Allen or Ben Thomas in at 8? I haven't seen much of Rory Pitman, but he plays 8 for the Ravens.

Two pretty good performances from him now, fair play.
Does kick a bit much for my liking, but Dirksen, the mad bugger, goes for nearly every one.

I think Tandy will see a better use for Prydie and Ross Jones, bringing them into the 23 more and more, instead of keeping them at Swansea and Bridgend, respectively.
Dirksen to 13 and one of the nippers to wing would be my pick.

How about bringing Morgan Allen or Ben Thomas in at 8? I haven't seen much of Rory Pitman, but he plays 8 for the Ravens.

Dirksen could work well at 13. Beck creates a **** load of half chances, but Bishop isn't good enough to take advantage of them outside him. The O's need someone who knows his way to the try-line at 13 (similar to Jon Davies at the Scarlets), and Dirksen could be that man.

I've always liked Morgan Allen, but he's not had that many chances. Bearman played well last night, and despite a slow start, Stowers is starting to look the business. Those two would be my 1 and 2, but the O's should be looking to develop someone else.

Stowers and Bearman are 33. Not many years left in them.

Beck... Wow! What a player. He really is pushing for higher honours. I wonder how he would fit into our backline. Roberts plays a bit more flat to the gainline than Beck, and work well with Priestland. Hook-Beck would be an interesting combination for the Barbarians.

Stowers and Bearman are 33. Not many years left in them.

Beck... Wow! What a player. He really is pushing for higher honours. I wonder how he would fit into our backline. Roberts plays a bit more flat to the gainline than Beck, and work well with Priestland. Hook-Beck would be an interesting combination for the Barbarians.

You're right there regarding Stowers and Bearman, forgot they were both 33. Both seem in good physical condition though, so I think they'll be around for another season, giving time for the O's to develop one or two other players. I'm not a fan of Jon Thomas at 8, so they need someone, and there's no reason that someone can't come from within.

I think Beck could fit in well with the Welsh backline. With North, Cuthbert and Davies, we're not so reliant on Roberts for getting over the gainline anymore. Beck offers something different, he's someone who can unlock the defence in a variety of different ways, especially with his passing, and that's something that neither Robrts or Davies really have in their arsenal. Roberts is still a great player, and his partnership with Davies has really blossomed lately, but there's nothing to say that he should be a guaranteed starter. Give Beck a few chances to see what he can offer, because I really do think there's something very special about this lad. He reminds me a little of a young Gavin Henson without the attitude problems, he just glides around the pitch making things look so easy. At 21 he's the right kind of age to come in and start putting pressure on the likes of Roberts. Some exciting times ahead at centre for Wales, because there's four extremely good players challenging, and will hopefully push each to reach their full potential.

I must admit, I underrated Foxy's passing. Against Italy he threw a beautiful pass to Cuthbert, who nearly scored (how the hell did Burton stop him?!?).
Beck has a very good skill set, I wonder what his kicking is like. It would certainly be another tool for him, if he had a decent boot. I like 12's in the mould Mauger and McAlister, who can function as a relief for the 10.
Not going to rule him out because of this, but something he would work on.

I think Beck would further improve with time training with the national side. Roberts is noticeably quicker than he was last year (compare breakaway v Scotland to try v Italy). He has also bulked up over the past year.
Very talented player, and indeed, we do have some good players coming through.

Davies has got a decent pass, and that pass was a peach to Cuthbert against Italy. What I'm talking about is Beck's lovely delayed passing, and little flicks he incorporates. This is the key to unlocking defences, something Henson used to do quite well in his prime. It's an area of the game that Wales have been missing from our centres in a while, and a reason that Priestland has become so important to the team at 10. I also like a 12 that can kick, but considering that Halfpenny and Davies are good kicking options, it's not a necessity. Roberts doesn't kick all that often, and we haven't suffered due to this. I've not seen much of Beck's kicking game to comment.

Yep, I know what you are saying mate.
Beck is a very deceptive runner, like Henson. Surprisingly quick and can spot a cap and go for it. He is constantly improving, and working well with Biggar.
Dirksen is a mad bugger, can definately see him at 13 soon.

Interesting twist. He has stated that he would like to play for Wales, and if he continues in this form he certainly could. If the Barbarians match is uncapped, than I suppose we could bring him out anyway.

Yep, good in attack, but we will see how he is in defence. Bishop's defence is pretty good, but offers little in attack now.
I guess only time will see how good he is at 13, but with the way he puts his body on the line, I can see him making a good go of it.

I'm certainly beginning to Love Dirksen :D :D The guy is a nut job! He's not the biggest but my word is he explosive in the contact. Deceptively fast also :D Needs to watch his tackling though, he tends to go for the shoulder charges over traditional tackles!

Biggar is having a good run of games with the boot, fair play! He had one or two nice breaks last night and he went for the big miss passes he used to do at age grade rugby!

Dirksen seems to love in in Wales (understandable) and very keen to stay with the O's.
He isn't huge, but certainly a bulky lad. Either way, not the size of the dog in the fight, is it? You are right, TVH, he will need to watch himself. He was lucky not to get carded against us a few weeks back with a high tackle, I think.

Don't know if it is just the usual honeymoon period, but Ospreys looking good under Tandy. Finally scored four tries!

Agreed about Walker, Duck. I hope the O's don't play him next year. I really don't see what he offers to the team, he's next to useless IMO

I'd prefer to play a proper fullback and move Fussel on to the wing or play Kristian Phillips or Prydie on the wing,

I don't mind Eli Walker, but he's nowhere near good enough (yet, anyway) to play as part of our first team if we genuinely want to be competitive in both the PRO12 and Europe. I think we need to bring a new Fullback in, (Martyn Thomas perhaps would've been good, as he was apparently dead-set on leaving the Dragons although I would quite like an unrealistically big name. Amorisino?) and then stick Fussell on the wing, or give Prydie a shot at the 15 jersey when he returns from Wasps. Possibly even Biggar at fullback with Morgan at 10? Best of both worlds, that way, considering our dire lack of 15s.

Latest posts