• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Which 4 teams are leaving?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jethro @ Oct 28 2009, 07:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (wayner @ Oct 26 2009, 11:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What's the motivation for cutting 4 teams? Is it to shorten the competition? If so does that mean that it will be less likely to conflict with events like the Autumn Internations so that teams can have their best players for the end of the competition?[/b]

Basically they want to fit the ANZC in around the failing S15 (which apparently makes perfect sense to Tewbacca). So four kiwi teams get demoted to allow an additional aussie team in a competition with flagging interest. Of course the cynical are pointing out the G9 are rapidly catching the S14 franchises in results, which clearly can not be allowed to happen. A number of people have come up with revised competition concepts that would allow the retention of the 14 team ANZC whiles accomodating the white elephant S15.

In the wash up Tew and co are going to alienate a huge percentage of kiwi fans and push the game back a decade. If I was a supporter of one of the teams being demoted I would send the NZRU my provincial jersey with a photo of myself in a Warrior (NRL) top. And there I was thinkng the NZRU's mandate was to promote rugby to the whole country, not just the S14 bases.

Of interest Hawke's Bay have joined the list of Provinces wanting the 14 team competiton retained. And before Tew throws up the May meeting, that didn't apparently pan out quite how he claims, the NZRU have already changed the rules from then, so no binding agreement. Expect some court action with I think the majority of kiwis not supporting the Tew junta.
[/b][/quote] The apparently "failing" super 15 is the only thing keeping the Air NZ Cup afloat genius. The Air NZ Cup has lost close to $10mil over the last three years (don't quote me on that it is several million, i'm sure Steve Tew said they lost 4,3 and this year 2.5 mil dollars on the Air NZ Cup. The May meeting reached an important agreement the status quo isn't sustainable. It just happens that several unions put through different solutions (who would go yeah cut the competition size! if they thought their team might go?).

Latest posts