• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

which team will win super14 in 2008?

The Brumbies obviously didn't have any room for Matt Carraro so he's now gone to the Waratahs.

At least the Waratahs now have one decent centre for next year. :p

<div class='quotemain'> But I'm going to be honest, its very hard to look past the Crusaders. Even after the Shield game.

They lose Rico Gear Chris Jack and Aaron Mauger.
But welcome back Carter, McCaw, Thorne, McDonald, Ali Williams. Sommerville and Ellis. Thats half an All Black team of difference. Might need to find some new wing talent though. [/b]

Don't forget that future All Blacks Stephen Brett or Tim Batemen will easily replace Mauger at second-five. I'm assuming we'll see Leon MacDonald at fullback, Scott Hamilton on one wing and probably Paul Williams on the other. I think a Fijian import is required.
[/b][/quote]

Tim Bateman is all class. Speaking of class, he was my class mate at Christchurch Boy's for 3 years, good guy also. But yeah, he's a very smart player in the centres with all round class, although may need to bulk up a bit.
Look for him to be in the All Black mix in the next few years.

Tim Bateman is all class. Speaking of class, he was my class mate at Christchurch Boy's for 3 years, good guy also. But yeah, he's a very smart player in the centres with all round class, although may need to bulk up a bit.
[/b]
Haha, brilliant, you're practically famous yourself!

<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]
Haha, brilliant, you're practically famous yourself!
[/b][/quote]

Well, it's the closest thing that would give me a moment of fame, so may as well get it out there ;)

I'm hoping that the brumbies take it out again, but i think one of the NZ teams will win it after the debacle of last year where they sold out the super 14 lets hope they learnt there lesson. :) S.af teams will be there abouts again of course.

The Tahs and the reds could do well but whenever they are expected to so they turn to ****. :D

Hopefully the hurricanes at least make the semis. They are capable of taking it out but they're inconsistent. They'll beat a top 4 team one week then lose to a bottom placed team the next week.

Canes may be without a coach pretty soon a. Cooper is very likely to take over as Forwards coach for the AB's. Maybe Ratcliffe (Hawkes Bay) might move up the pecking order a bit and take over the Canes.

But yeah, Canes will be pretty decent next year too.

An All Black front row + Taumalolo, Dane Coles and Hika Elliot.
Some bright talent at lock. Eaton plus either Upton,Triggs or Eagen
Awesome loosies!!
Great pair of halfbacks.
???? Um...Gopperth??
Ellison and Conrad Smith will make an awesome Midfield.
Nonu is looking really impressive on the wing + Hosea Gear and Paku.
Jane at FB is class act!

As I've said before, my home boys are missing a class No.10 to add that final touch to the picture.
Kirkpatrick is a definite bright spot for the future. But presently this position could again hold back the Canes.

Difficult to say because a lot of guys from the SANZAR nations are leaving for Europe. So I think it'll be the team that settles the quickest and plays consistetnly well throughout. The new combinations and maybe captains will have to settle and take charge. Older players will have to lead the new and young guys in keeping their composure and heads cool.

Canes may be without a coach pretty soon a. Cooper is very likely to take over as Forwards coach for the AB's. Maybe Ratcliffe (Hawkes Bay) might move up the pecking order a bit and take over the Canes.

But yeah, Canes will be pretty decent next year too.

An All Black front row + Taumalolo, Dane Coles and Hika Elliot.
Some bright talent at lock. Eaton plus either Upton,Triggs or Eagen
Awesome loosies!!
Great pair of halfbacks.
???? Um...Gopperth??
Ellison and Conrad Smith will make an awesome Midfield.
Nonu is looking really impressive on the wing + Hosea Gear and Paku.
Jane at FB is class act!

As I've said before, my home boys are missing a class No.10 to add that final touch to the picture.
Kirkpatrick is a definite bright spot for the future. But presently this position could again hold back the Canes. [/b]

I'm crossing my fingers hoping that Brett settles at 12 and Batemen gets big and plays center(in the near future). I'd hate to see Brett go north, but if that's the case all the more strength in NZ rugby and Canterbury can certainly handle the loss.

Imagine that Canterbury having Carter, Wellington have Brett, Waikato with Donald and Auckland with Evans.

Why would Ratcliffe take over the Canes when he get's the sack, and the Magpies go from bottom to the Top 4 the next season?

I think the Blues are going to be very hit and miss this year - either we will win or else we will finish 8th, no middle ground. If we can plug the holes we should be fine, the addition of Evans is vital as it free's up Nacewa to fill up one of the problem areas in the backline. I will definatly like our chances alot more if Nucifora is indeed leading the running for the Wallabies Job.

Why would Ratcliffe take over the Canes when he get's the sack, and the Magpies go from bottom to the Top 4 the next season?
[/b]

And by Ratcliffe I mean Peter Russell of course :)rolleyes: My bad). Who as you said Ripper, took the Bay from the bottom 4 to the top 4, and who the year previous took Wairarapa Bush from a 3rd div team to the winners of the 2nd div.

The man appears to be something of a miracle worker...although he does alot of his miracle work through player signings, as he did heavily for Bush and also for the Bay.

I'm crossing my fingers hoping that Brett settles at 12 and Batemen gets big and plays center(in the near future). I'd hate to see Brett go north, but if that's the case all the more strength in NZ rugby and Canterbury can certainly handle the loss.

Imagine that Canterbury having Carter, Wellington have Brett, Waikato with Donald and Auckland with Evans.
[/b]

I'd actually be very keen to see a couple of games with Brett at 10 and Carter back at 12. I think Brett's more assertive personality and flair rings more of King Carlos type, with Carter's more passive steadyness anchoring the midfield. But you can't realistically justify shifting the world's best 10 out of position so it seems inevitable that Brett is the one who will have to move. Be it to No12, the Canes or Europe. The big task is to make sure it's definitely not the latter, and I guess for Canterbury supporters, not the the second option.

But, I'd be lying if I said we (The Hurricanes) would say no to him, beings how he is essentially the missing link to creating a complete team.

I'm not too happy about Michalak but I think the Sharks have got a good shot,
They have some amazing players with good leaders and experience.
I think Steyn coul'd really become a star and if peiterson and barrit and peinaar continue to grow it could be lights out for any team visiting durban. Plus monty and butch aren't bad.
They will definitely make the semis.

I think the Crusaders will take it out.

Next best 3 teams in no particular order will be Hurricanes, Sharks and Force.

I think the crusaders and to a lesser extent canes will pretty much smash every other team. I would have picked the Brumbies ahead of the force but without mortlock for most of the season it will take somebody in the backline to stand up and take charge or else theyll crumble. They have bundles of talent in the backline but are severely lacking in leadership and experience. Brumbies have the best forwards amongst the ozzie teams tho.

The Chiefs are a good chance to sneak in.

I foresee Schalk returning to top form and inspiring the Stormers to the ***le. B)

Latest posts