• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

which team will win super14 in 2008?

Well Mitchell set his goal as making the finals this upcoming year for the Force and he's never been one to let us down so I am read for anything :)

Hurricanes because we're not losing any players, most players going overseas are from either Auckland or Christchurch.

Tahs beacuse Beale will decimate all!

Seriously though I can see all the Aust teams having a strong year. Seems like SA & NZ teams are losing alot of good players north

i'm hoping the chiefs will be up there next year. they started off poorly and found form towards the end of the season, if they can make a better start and maintain there form, hopefully they'll make the finals for the first time (i think it'll be their first time)

hopefully the waratahs...

beale and turner will have benefited a lot from last year's season, the australian rugby championships and playing for australia a. i'm also looking forward to see how timana tahu will go, i'm not saying he is going to dominate but if he can bring his strong running style and hard hitting (although no shoulder charging) into this code the waratahs will be all the better for it.

Brumbies, best Australian team period.

Even without Larkham, Gregan and Smith we will still dominate.

[/b]
The Brumbies time in the light is done my friend, the Force is the new way :)

PS. The Brumbies haven't 'dominated' since your senior players decided to spit the dummy over Nucifora....

I agree that the Brumbies are not going to be the 'force' that they once were.

I think the Sharks will again be the strongest of the South African sides with probably the Stormers and Bulls doing well. Never write off the Bulle! The Crusaders and Blues will be very strong again this year too together with the Force.

I, like many others, think you'll really have to keep an eye out for the Force in 2008

chiefs...with the likes of tanerau latimer, liam messam lauaki....roy kinikinilau, sivivatu....GIVEN!!

The ELV's are apparently (according to "reliable" media sources) likely to be rushed through into the Super14 in 2008. This will give the Aussie sides a slight advantage, having played with them in this years ARC.

Robbie Deans has also had a hand in developing these laws and will offer the Crusaders an (unnecessary) edge there.

ARC form suggests the Tahs will be alot stronger this year.
The Force will also be up there.

Brumbies won't be too bad after losing their halves. Reds will once again be looking to continue the rebuilding. As will the Highlanders.

Blues, Crusaders, Hurricanes and Chiefs will be strong on paper.

Sharks and Bulls will still be good, it might be interesting to see how they go after losing a few of their leaders though.

Which ever New Zealand team wins the Air New Zealand Cup, I am picking for the Super 14. So I'm picking Auckland to take it out, and also the Blues.

It would be great to see the Chiefs win though.

<div class='quotemain'>

[/b]
The Brumbies time in the light is done my friend, the Force is the new way :)

PS. The Brumbies haven't 'dominated' since your senior players decided to spit the dummy over Nucifora....
[/b][/quote]

Not true. Laurie Fisher has developed into an excellent coach.

The only reason they didn't make the finals this year was due to a lack of bonus points.

It's also a shame that they lost two games through tries AFTER the siren. Otherwise they would've finished first on the table.

Losing Gregan, Larkham and Paul will be a big blow. Especially Gregan and Larkham who offer so much direction. But they have signed up the best halfback in the country - Josh Holmes, and hopefully Lealifaano can step up as a quality flyhalf because I'd rather see Huxley at fullback and Ashley-Cooper on the wing.

Their backrow is still one of the best in the competition and they have a lot of excellent players in the backline.

While I do see the Force improving on this year, I'm not sure if they've got enough quality forwards to match it against the better teams. Sharpe manages their lineout excellently, and they do have some young guys doing alright, but we'll see how they progress. But most of their strengths lie in their backline.

Beale will have benefited from the ARC and I think he will do better.

This year one of the Tahs problems lied in their forwards being in the style of English forwards - slow, bulky and unathletic - so they were torn apart by the better backrowers in the competition. Also, I don't think think they've really got the backline (especially in the centres) to worry the better teams.

The Reds have so many quality players and still boast one of the best scrums in the competition. Unfortunately they need a good coach who can fix up the mess that has been made there in recent years.

Anyways, possible Brumbies lineup -

1. Henderson
2. S Faingaa
3. Shepherdson
4. Campbell
5. Chisholm
6. Tawake/Chapman
7. Smith
8. Hoiles
9. Holmes
10. Lealifaano
11. Gerrard
12. Fairbanks/A Faingaa
13. Mortlock ©
14. Ashley-Cooper
15. Huxley

16. Edmonds
17. Maafu/Ulugia
18. Wallace-Harrison
19. Tawake/Chapman/Salvi
20. Phibbs
21. Faingaa/Fairbanks
22. Rathbone/Fainifo/Playford/Carraro

It's still a pretty strong team.

However, I do favour one of the NZ teams for next year.

If they actually rush in the ELV's into next years Super 14 it could see a bit of a shift in a few of the teams....the most obvious being the South African forwards being run of thier feet.. (helps the Force too has thier forwards are pretty mobile but aren't much for scrummaging)

Yeah Brodizzle, exactly. The ELV's require highly skilled and mobile packs.

Might hinder the South African patterns a bit. Kicking for territory is alot harder when you can't pass back into the 22.

New laws would suit the Blues and Hurricanes quite well.

But I'm going to be honest, its very hard to look past the Crusaders. Even after the Shield game.

They lose Rico Gear Chris Jack and Aaron Mauger.
But welcome back Carter, McCaw, Thorne, McDonald, Ali Williams. Sommerville and Ellis. Thats half an All Black team of difference. Might need to find some new wing talent though.

Auckland can look forward to the return of Woodcock, Mealamu, Rokocoko and Toeava. But lose Howlett, Tuitupo, Rawlinson, Ali Williams, Angus McDonald, Steve Devine and Luke McAlister.

That's some very important talent leaving. And includes 2 locks and 2 No12's.

The power and mobilty of both the Hurricanes and Chiefs loose forwards will be hard to handle. As will the Canes tight5.

The Canes are a star No10 short of an amazing team. But thats a big hole to have.

Personally, I still have doubts around the Force's pack. The young loosies will need to start getting on top of opposition. But the backline will be looking good.

I will go with the force definitely. Last season was just a gelling session and with how mitchell is playing rugby now, it just adds more firepower to the force. Matt Giteau has been awesome everywhere as well, after all he is the million dollar kid dynamite, he always has the ability to spark something outta nothing, super creative player with wicked acceleration and a great step too.

But I'm going to be honest, its very hard to look past the Crusaders. Even after the Shield game.

They lose Rico Gear Chris Jack and Aaron Mauger.
But welcome back Carter, McCaw, Thorne, McDonald, Ali Williams. Sommerville and Ellis. Thats half an All Black team of difference. Might need to find some new wing talent though. [/b]

Don't forget that future All Blacks Stephen Brett or Tim Batemen will easily replace Mauger at second-five. I'm assuming we'll see Leon MacDonald at fullback, Scott Hamilton on one wing and probably Paul Williams on the other. I think a Fijian import is required.

Latest posts