• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Who are the biggest teams and biggest players in the world?

V

voicekiller

Just doing a poll to see who everyone thinks the biggest (in popularity) players in the world are, and what are the biggest teams. From National (ex. the All Blacks, England), Leagues, etc. Just for fun. and would make a good debate on who people see as the biggest and best players in the world.

If you want to go all out and name the biggest players from each league thats cool too.

NH:

1. Leicester, 2. Ospreys

SH:

1. Sharks, 2. Bulls

International:

1. NZ, 2 Springboks

Representative:

1. BaaBaas, 2. Lions/PIs (argue that amongst yourselves)

Id say Scarlets and Munster have the best support in NH, so ill say them.

SH, Sharks and maybe Crusaders.

Best players???

Well these are the players that i think everybody loves to watch:

Dwayne Peel, O' Driscoll, James Hook, Shane Williams, Tuilangi, Caucau, Carter, Mccaw, Collins....I cant think of any more

Id say Scarlets and Munster have the best support in NH, so ill say them.
[/b]

Going on shirt sales alone Scarlets are certainly not up there anymore.
They have a devoted fan base, however.
Ospreys are top, i believe with munster 2nd and leicester 3rd (if i remember the stats correctly for the season that's just finished - don't quote me on that, though.)

Saracens are the biggest team in the world...in my head they are anyway. :huh:

International and national competitions:

All South African sides with their paddings. :p

the all blacks is without a doubt one of the most popular and most well known brands.

i can only speak for the souther hemisphere when it comes to players. the biggest (not physically) players would be McKaw & Carter.

As a Leinster fan it hurts to say but there were more Munster shirts than anything else at the HC Final.

The biggest, perhaps not in terms of popularity, but in terms of being a recognisable sign of the Wallabies has to be George Gregan..he's been playing for 10+ years, has barely missed a game, and is known to pretty much everyone who follows rugby. In terms of popularity, in Australia I reckon Latho's got to be up there.

As much as it might hurt to say this, but in terms of domestic teams in SA, the strongest and most recognisable brand these days is definately the Bulls(S14)/Blue Bulls(Currie Cup) brand.

Biggest team internationally? Well Sean Fitzpatrick reckons it`s England...

As much as it might hurt to say this, but in terms of domestic teams in SA, the strongest and most recognisable brand these days is definately the Bulls(S14)/Blue Bulls(Currie Cup) brand.

[/b]

We're definitely the most profitable.

<div class='quotemain'>

[/b]

[/b][/quote]

Sorry Prestwick, not my point. By "biggest" I mean physically biggest- hence the reference to our learned friend Fitzy. You know, that old quote of his about Eng being too fat to win the RWC.

<div class='quotemain'> <div class='quotemain'>

[/b]

[/b][/quote]

Sorry Prestwick, not my point. By "biggest" I mean physically biggest- hence the reference to our learned friend Fitzy. You know, that old quote of his about Eng being too fat to win the RWC.

[/b][/quote]

Well sorry BokMagic but I wasn't talking about your point so nyah nyah nyah nyah! :bleh!: I was just saying something off the cuff.

You would have to be kidding me if you don't say Crusaders are the biggest provincial team in the SH, by far they have been the All Blacks of the Super 14, the team to beat year in, year out...

In regards to the SH provincial sides -

The Crusaders, The Brumbies, The Blues and The Bulls have to be the top four teams.

They're the only teams to have won the Super competition since the game went professional.

They're generally also finals contenders and contain ((on in the case of the Blues - have contained) the majority of the most well known players in the SH.

speaking from downunder, the northern team big hear are Leicester tigers and munster --> best players are o'driscoll
the crusaders have to be the biggest team in the southern hemisphere and they have the two best in carter and mccaw and also the brumbies are pretty big but now have lost larkham and gregan

Most of the NH clubs are well known here especially the likes of Toulouse, Biarritz, Stade Francais, Leicester, Wasps, Newcastle, Northampton, Munster, etc...

I'm sorry to say this but most of the new Welsh clubs are not that well known. Some folks I know are still talking about Newport (Black & Gold jersey I think).

As for the SH....you cant go past the team everybody loves to hate, that's right... Auckland & the Blues.

You would have to be kidding me if you don't say Crusaders are the biggest provincial team in the SH, by far they have been the All Blacks of the Super 14, the team to beat year in, year out... [/b]

Just a quick question, there are what, 4 million people in NZ ?

If I remember the correct figures here, the Bulls have the largest fanbase in SA with about 2.4 million fans, that's more than half your population.

Just throwing that on the table for you guys to chew on, to you know, maybe gather your own conclusions. :)

So I would have to agree with Bokmagic, I'm pretty sure in the SH as a provincial team, the bulls are quite possibly the biggest and best known brand.

In the NH i'd say Tigers and Munster. Tigers get the biggest crowds week in week out and are consistently one of the top teams. Munster also get the crowds and have the largest travelling support. Those two sides also seem to be the most loved and hated by neutral fans. (which one's which. Hmmmmm i wonder......) The Welsh sides simply aren't as big at present, but a bit more success and scarlets and ospreys are getting up there. The other team to keep in mind is Toulouse, who to most English sides epitomise French rugby.

Players wise the biggest player has to be BOD. Wilkinson is the biggest in the uk media, and probably the biggest player for casual fans.

Worldwide, i'd say the all blacks. to most hardcore fans there's something a bit more special about all black games, an aura of sorts. Plus again the most recognisable symbols of rugby to other fans or general public is the All Blacks and the Haka.

Latest posts