• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Who Makes The Best RWC Captain

G

Gavin

We are finally entering the last month before the 2007 Rugby World Cup begins in France and I decided to take a look back at the previous World Cups. Usually the captain of any nation who enters the competition has to be one of the best.

In the history of the World Cup, the captains of the winning sides have been Scrum-half (x2), Flanker (x1) and Second Row (x2). So I was wondering, what position makes the best captain, especially if it is coming if the World Cup is appearing over the horizon.

Any thoughts?

The three best captains: Fitzpatrick for the ABs, Eales for the Wallabies, Johnson for England. So, someone from the front five.

i personally feel its gotta be from the forwards or scrum half or fly half, due to them being more involved in the actual game, prefer back row as they are a link between back and forward

i personally feel its gotta be from the forwards or scrum half or fly half, due to them being more involved in the actual game, prefer back row as they are a link between back and forward
[/b]

Although O'Driscoll IMO is one of the best captains and does inspire his team.

A top priority is communication via the ref., so preferably you need the capt. to be either in the forward pack, or at scrumhalf. In other words, someone close to all the action. No point having your capt. out in fullback.

As for the best captain, in the modern era, without a doubt has been Martin Johnson.

I think halfback. Halfbacks are always in the midst of it and need to have control. Nick Farr Jones was the classic halfback captain.

I think second rows and back row forwards are usually ideal as they will be physically imposing and will lead by example with their work rate and aggression.

Front row forwards are too often snubbed by the rest of a team by virtue of their very specific role and usually won't be be granted the same kind of respect other members of the pack will. Their slowness around the park and the fact that their best work usually goes unnoticed means that it is more difficult for them to lead by example. I don't think Vickery was a great choice of captain for England. Keith Wood, an excellent captain, was great because he defied expectations for a front row player: he scored tries, could outpace opposition wingers, tackle like a blindside and create chances out of boot and hand.

Scrum-half is a good position, as it has been said because like back row, 9 is a link between the pack and the back line. That said, the scrumhalf will have to be at the top of his game and probably requires more experience than players in other positions.

Fly-half is not a good position in my opinion. The 10 is the natural leader and playmaker on attack but once you've given him additional responsibilities I think it too often detracts from his overall game.

The back three are ill suited for the job for obvious reasons.

In any case it goes down to the individual, it's important to have someone who commands respect, with passion and an ability to motivate and bring out the best in his teammates and who will make decisions with a cool head.

I know he wasn't a RWC captain, but Gary Teichmann has to be one of the best international captains of all time. So my choice would be Number 8. I think John Smit is the best captain in international rugby at this time - with his decision making, great repore with the referee and his outstanding leadership. He's also a brilliant spokesman for the Springboks.

speaking specifically about a player and not about a position, my prediction is that stirling mortlock will be the most outstanding captain of rwc 2007, regarless of who gets to hoist bill up at the end

I think the captains character and on field charisma with players and ref make a great captain regardless of what position.

I will say though, my preferred positions for tactical reasons are Hooker, Lock, scrum half or Centre. Only positions that i dont thing work are Prop, Fly half, wings or full back.

I think the captains character and on field charisma with players and ref make a great captain regardless of what position.

I will say though, my preferred positions for tactical reasons are Hooker, Lock, scrum half or Centre. Only positions that i dont thing work are Prop, Fly half, wings or full back. [/b]

Personally I find scrumhalfs to make the best captains as they are the link between the forwards and the backs and are players that you will see constantly on the ball.

Intresting video on why Eddie O'Sullivan chose Brian O'Driscoll as captain
http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=kPJRr9uOsm0

Brian O'Driscoll is currently the best captain in the world. No, I'm not going to type "IMO" because it's not just my opinion, it is fact. Watch the documetary Reaching for Glory: Inside Irish Rugby 07.
I think Ibanez is a good captain as well. Umaga was a great captain. I don't think it's "what position." A Captain is a leader. A Captain knows how to motivate and commands respect through their hardwork, dedication and responsibility to the team.
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/kPJRr9uOsm0"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/kPJRr9uOsm0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

A captain should be someone who commands respect from his team-mates. Someone who gives respect to earn respect. It doesnt matter if you're a prop forward or a fullback, but if you lead by example your men will follow.

Brian O'Driscoll is currently the best captain in the world. No, I'm not going to type "IMO" because it's not just my opinion, it is fact. Watch the documetary Reaching for Glory: Inside Irish Rugby 07.
I think Ibanez is a good captain as well. Umaga was a great captain. I don't think it's "what position." A Captain is a leader. A Captain knows how to motivate and commands respect through their hardwork, dedication and responsibility to the team.
[/b]

I agree. The best player in the team should be a capitan.

Brian O'Driscoll is currently the best captain in the world. No, I'm not going to type "IMO" because it's not just my opinion, it is fact. Watch the documetary Reaching for Glory: Inside Irish Rugby 07. [/b]

I completely disagree. BOD inspires through flair and his breaks, but it's such an individual talent thing that it can be removed from the game. The only reason to make him captain is so he doesn't give away penalties arguing with the ref. And I dunno how the non-Dublin players take anyone with a D4 accent seriously.

Paul O'Connell comes across as a much better captain, especially if you watch the Reaching for Glory documentary. Watching it months after the fact you feel inspired by what he has to say, and the way he says it with such conviction. His comment at half time at the England match was perfect, I don't even feel like I've played a half, I'm ready to give more! or something to that effect.

If you look at the Scotland match, he was the best Irish player on the pitch, and it seems no matter how bad the rest of the team is playing he will always play excellently. The determination he has, how he powers his way through every aspect of the game, and never gives up is what makes a great, inspiring captain.

Me being a forward (prop) myself, i've always thought that the best captains are from the pack. they are the intimidating figures for the opposition to look at, and tend to be the better leaders in my experiance. My favourite captain has to be martin johnson, just for the way he led by example, and he was such an intimidating figure to the opposition.

saying all that it does depend on the individuals within the team, and you need more than one leader on the feild anyway which always helps!

*my first post btw :cheers: *

Latest posts