• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Who will be World Player of the Year?

so world player of the year is only rated on International performances?

Yeah I think so. Full test matches only. So 6 Nations, Rugby Championship, World Cups, International series and Lions Tours are the only games that matter for IRB world player of the year.

How does Naholo get on there. He's played three games and gone off injured in all three right?

- - - Updated - - -

No DC? I'd be suprised if he doesnt at least get a nomination.

Yeah I would swap Augustin Creevy for Naholo..

Carter, Ben Smith, McCaw and Pocock

It will be one of those 4.

Even if Pocock loses I wouldn't be surprised if he got it.

Ben Smith, McCaw and Pocock

One of these three for me

Just can't see DC getting a nomination unless its a "lets give him one since he is retiring", just hasn't been consistent enough this year to warrant a nomination, whereas the other 3 have been.

One of these three for me

Just can't see DC getting a nomination unless its a "lets give him one since he is retiring", just hasn't been consistent enough this year to warrant a nomination, whereas the other 3 have been.

Yeah he was pretty average in the RC in places. He's been a difference maker in the last 2 games though and depending on how he plays in the final, that could put him in the running. Man I'm glad I was wrong about him.

Pocock has been immense and by far the best player at this world cup.

Pocock has been immense and by far the best player at this world cup.

Pocock definately, Hooper and Fardy are a breath of fresh air but with play-makers like Pocock they'd be no Fardy or Hooper.

Pocock is immense, he's the real captain on the playmakers. And damn I hate saying that :eek:

Yeah he was pretty average in the RC in places. He's been a difference maker in the last 2 games though and depending on how he plays in the final, that could put him in the running. Man I'm glad I was wrong about him.

Lol yeah, so glad I was wrong too.

I feel even if he plays a blinder in the final it wouldn't be right for him to get a nomination given how average he has been in the rest of the games this year, just goes against everything the award stands for imo.

Do WR give out awards for the tourney? like Fifia do for the football world cup.

McCaw or Pocock should depend on who wins the final

- - - Updated - - -

I imagine the Welsh in particular will vote for Captain Robshaw. ;)

Shortlist
Daniel Carter (New Zealand)
Michael Hooper (Australia)
Alun Wyn Jones (Wales)
Greig Laidlaw (Scotland)
David Pocock (Australia)
Julian Savea (New Zealand)

No McCaw

Sorry not sure why Laidlaw is there no where near as good as Smith, Du Preez or Murray

Sorry not sure why Laidlaw is there no where near as good as Smith, Du Preez or Murray

He kicks for points so that might help him in the eyes of the people that pick these things.

Have to say I'm a bit surprised at the nod for Hooper, I honestly haven't been consistently impressed with him.

A couple of ABs who could have been on there are Ben Smith and Ma'a Nonu.

One player I would have loved to see on there but I knew he wasn't going to be selected is Marcos Ayerza. Dominant performances upfront for an Argentinian side that exceeded expectations. Every match I watched, he ruined the opposing prop. But a prop has never been a finalist and I don't expect that to change anytime soon unless a prop comes along who scrummages like Ayerza and plays like a back row player in open play.

One player I would have loved to see on there but I knew he wasn't going to be selected is Marcos Ayerza. Dominant performances upfront for an Argentinian side that exceeded expectations. Every match I watched, he ruined the opposing prop. But a prop has never been a finalist and I don't expect that to change anytime soon unless a prop comes along who scrummages like Ayerza and plays like a back row player in open play.
It's kind of disturbing how little recognition front rowers get.

No front rower has won a MOTM at this WC yet. 3 front rowers won a MOTM in 2007 and 3 in 2011. So in the last 142 WC matches, front rowers have won MOTM only 6 times!

Also, no front rower has been nominated for player of the year since 2003, and no prop has ever been nominated!

No front rower has won a MOTM at this WC yet. 3 front rowers won a MOTM in 2007 and 3 in 2011. So in the last 142 WC matches, front rowers have won MOTM only 6 times!

Also, no front rower has been nominated for player of the year since 2003, and no prop has ever been nominated!

This. Those man of match awards tend to reflect the casual fan and either go for (i) big ball carrying back row (ii) goal kicker (iii) try scorer. None of which would be get so many chances behind a pack that struggles at set piece.

I'm not sure about previous years, but this year's has been further distorted by public votes picking stupid options. Also it's rare to see a front rower stay on the field for the full 80 minutes which lessens their chances of getting picked.

Scrums can be such a penalty machine that it seems incredible for a prop who has had his opposite number on toast not to get recognised more often. Either it doesn't happen as often as I would give it credit for doing or it's a reflection on those picking the award IMO.

Latest posts