• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Who would you like to see make the switch

hi, good question, the guy who always intrigued me was Gary Ablett the aussie rules player, to be able to dominate a sport that is that competitive as he has, shows he is a great athlete, aussie rules skills would translate quiet well into union, he would have made a great flanker if he had switched a few yrs ago. Simon Mannering would make a great loose forward, works all day, hard as nails, skilled enough to have played in the centres, a thinker, would be great, I think he came from union. Elijah Taylor has said he is keen to return to union, was a good 2nd 5 prospect prior to committing to the warriors. cheers

Yea man Ablett is like a energizer bunny, on the afl players Kurt Tippett could find a spot in union I wouldn't know where you would put buddy franklin either but the guys a gun, people say folau a specimen Franklin ****s on him..

Yea simon mannering switched from Union, he's like the kiwis version of Conrad smith nothing flashy but always puts in a solid shift, an you can ALWAYS trust him to stop his man.

Roger Millward, truly great player. 04 July 1970 he scored the try on the Sydney Cricket Ground that last won us the League Ashes series. England haven't won one since. He played for my home town club (Hull KR). But the greatest player I ever saw was Alex Murphy. Went on Tour in 1958 just past his 19th birthday and was star of that Tour. Came back and did his national service and starred in Union as well, whilst still playing for St Helens on a weekend. He related a story that he played against the incumbent England fly and scored three tries before halftime. The old groundsman at Twickers when asked who was the best player he had seen after approx 30 years, without hesitation said Murphy and not the usual suspects. He toured again and starred on the 1962 Tour. His pace over 30 yards was startling. His self confidence and ego to match.

I was always a stalwart union fan as a nipper, we used to live near Wembley and one year a neighbour gave me and my brother 4 tickets to the challenge cup final I think it was HKR v St Helens, we wandered up to Wembley soaked up the atmosphere, found two guys who were trying to find tickets and asked them if they wanted to come in with us, they asked how much and we said free, well at the age of 16 I have never drank so much beer watching a game of rugby, the game was fantastic the atmosphere amazing the guys we were with were great blokes bought us food, beer etc all afternoon and since as a naturalised 'Southern softie' (we moved from Newcastle when I was 4) I have always had a fondness for Rugby League, Rugby is Rugby the king of sports...

Latest posts