• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Who'll win the World Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

timmyhoran

There are more realistic chances at this world cup then any other which should make for a good tournament. I think the teams with a show, starting with the favorites are:

1. NZ - best team in the world. As Knuckles said they have no weaknesses just some areas less strong then others. Line-out and midfield vulnerable. So find touch with kicks and attack midfield. Will go in raging hot favorites and with the expectations of 4m Kiwis (sound familiar)

2. SA - great lineout and backrow and the worlds best finisher. Despite what Saffas say there scrum is average. Can a team win without a world class 10? We'll find out.

3. France - can never discount the home side in WC. Will have to play three good games in a row to win and consistency is not there strength.

4. Aus - Need luck with injuries. Lose a couple of key players and its au revoir as there is nothing behind them. Best world cup pedigree and history of riseing to the occasion.

5. Ireland - Great lineout. Worlds best tactical kicking 10 and great centre combination. Form team of the 6n with heaps of experience. Not much in the scrum or out wide.

6 Eng - They'll get there fair share of quality go forward possesion but whether they no what to do with it is another thing. Bad form over the last few years but you can't write them off.

7 Wales - desperately trying to recapture the form that took them to the grand slam in 2005. Have enough quality players to win but play way to laterally. Need to earn the right to go wide.

No one else has a show although the Argies and Italians might cause some tears.

Argentina do have the ability to go all the way, but I wouldn't count on it.

They did come very close to beating the All Blacks last year and have proved in recent years that they can beat any of the other top nations.

I really hope Argentina and Ireland can knock out France.

Argentina - Massively powerfull pack and a capable backline that contains some real quality. If they were in any other group you could predict their progression through to the quarters with some degree of confidence. As it is, they are more then capable of beating both Ireland and France. Strength in depth and the confidence/ability to win the tight matches would be the main questions I would have.

All Blacks are currently the team most likely to win it, but I think it is more likely another team will win it. Basically we're asking whether the All Blacks will go 3-0 vs three of the other top teams. Good chance, but its more likely they'd lose one and get knocked out. I don't care whether people realise it or not, there's not as much difference between the top teams as many make out. They're all capable of beating each other. It'll be tough for any team to win 3 in a row, even the ABs. It all really comes down to who hits form and gets lucky at the time.

All Blacks are currently the team most likely to win it, but I think it is more likely another team will win it. Basically we're asking whether the All Blacks will go 3-0 vs three of the other top teams. Good chance, but its more likely they'd lose one and get knocked out. I don't care whether people realise it or not, there's not as much difference between the top teams as many make out. They're all capable of beating each other. It'll be tough for any team to win 3 in a row, even the ABs. It all really comes down to who hits form and gets lucky at the time.
[/b]

ha ha, as someone with qualifications in advanced maths and statistics, your theory is flawed. nice try.

are the welsh deserving of being on the list they don't have the quality players to win the world cup just because they won the six nations two years ago honestly i'd bet a thousand dollars they won't make the semis let alone the final.

The Welsh are outsiders but they have a chance. They get a huge advantage getting to play Australia in Cardiff. If they win that pool game they'll most likely play England in the QF, which they're more then capable of beating. Once you're in the semi's anything can happen.

SCREW ALL OF YOU THE USA WILL WIN IT ALL!!!

GO EAGLES!!!

(just kidding)

I say:
1. The All Blacks choke as usual. Nothing more needs to be said here.

2. Argentina will not survive the group of death. Despite the hype, they just aren't that great in the "first tier..." ESPECIALLY in the RWC. Argentina is NOT a dark horse; they never were and they never will be.

3. England gets outclassed by the top tier this year (probably by France/Ireland)

4. Australia will get shat on w/o their bread-and-butter 9/10 combo (and by shat on, I mean keep it close and then lose, but I hate the aussies)

5. Ireland will make the semis, and play a tight game with SA/England.

6. South Africa or France will lift the cup this year. Both are great teams, and despite some dodgy moves in the Tri-Nations and my obvious biases, SA has a lighting back row, the best back 3 in the world, and some blistering pace and intensity overall. And, don't sleep on the SAffa 9/10 combo of Pienaar/James. It's good. It's really really really good. I say France may win b/c they're at home, they have been the bridesmaids several times, and they have prove they can beat anyone when in top form with an AMAZING back row and a great backline.

GO EAGLES!!!

(just kidding)

I say:

2. Argentina will not survive the group of death. Despite the hype, they just aren't that great in the "first tier..." ESPECIALLY in the RWC. Argentina is NOT a dark horse; they never were and they never will be.

3. England gets outclassed by the top tier this year (probably by France/Ireland)

4. Australia will get shat on w/o their bread-and-butter 9/10 combo (and by shat on, I mean keep it close and then lose, but I hate the aussies)

6. South Africa or France will lift the cup this year. Both are great teams, and despite some dodgy moves in the Tri-Nations and my obvious biases, SA has a lighting back row, the best back 3 in the world, and some blistering pace and intensity overall. And, don't sleep on the SAffa 9/10 combo of Pienaar/James. It's good. It's really really really good. I say France may win b/c they're at home, they have been the bridesmaids several times, and they have prove they can beat anyone when in top form with an AMAZING back row and a great backline. [/b]

how is it we get the chokers tag when ireland & france have never won the cup? nz to win plus whoever gets second in frances pool won't make the semis so you can't have it both ways france or ireland one won't make the semis. as a springbok you should know what happens when a team plays nz in the quarters. nz has made the semis every time unlike the springboks. can you remember 2003 or did you BLACK that out?

GO EAGLES!!!

(just kidding)

I say:

6. South Africa or France will lift the cup this year. Both are great teams, and despite some dodgy moves in the Tri-Nations and my obvious biases, SA has a lighting back row, the best back 3 in the world, and some blistering pace and intensity overall. And, don't sleep on the SAffa 9/10 combo of Pienaar/James. It's good. It's really really really good. I say France may win b/c they're at home, they have been the bridesmaids several times, and they have prove they can beat anyone when in top form with an AMAZING back row and a great backline. [/b]

South Africa - Best Back 3 in the World? Sorry, but this isn't Rugby 06 where the fastest players in a straight line are the best. Since when have the Springbok's done anything to prove they have the best Back 3 in the World? And Butch James will not be getting you very far if he has to control a game, all he has ever impressed me with was his abilty to tackle people without arms.

And when have the French proven they can beat everyone? Where was their "AMAZING" backrow when they were taken apart 47-3 in the Rain in Lyon or where was their great backline when they were 23-8 down the next week with time ticking away and decided take a shot at goal?

. [/b]
Well the problem there is that Australia most likely will have their so called "bread-and-butter" 9/10 combo so it looks like your theory is going to buggery.

Better hope there isn't a breeze or a shower during training, Larkham slips up and he's usually out for 6-8 weeks.

He's held together by strapping tape. He'll be fine for his swan song tournament.

how is it we get the chokers tag when ireland & france have never won the cup?
[/b]

Because Ireland and France are never tipped as "likely" to win the world cup?
I think everyone in the world (who isn't a NZer) regards them as "chokers" but hell, that doesn't mean they won't do it.
They'll comfortably win their pool stages and then they only have 3 consecutive games to win. You can't argue they are not the favourites, and they've got a remarkable record for the past few years.

<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]

ha ha, as someone with qualifications in advanced maths and statistics, your theory is flawed. nice try. [/b][/quote]

Actually, he's right.

Mate you really are gonna have to explain WHAT IN THE BLUE HELL you are going on about here...

how are the Aussies without their bread and butter 9/10? have you not heard one iota of news in rugby in the last couple of months... Gregan and Larkham are back and on top!! as long as larkham is taped up like a mummified freak, he will stay together...

and anyway, if you knew anything about the Wallabies you would know that our biggest worry is our suspect front row who are now coming together.. and a few key injuries..

and how do you get the Boks having the best back 3 in the world?

Burger is all class, but Smith and Spies are nowhere near the AB back three... McCaw eats up Smith, and even tho Spies is fast he still doesnt cover the field like Rodney.. WTF are you on about really...

France have the ability to win at home for sure.. but as proven in cups gone by they lack the consistency required to get there..

<div class='quotemain'>
how is it we get the chokers tag when ireland & france have never won the cup?
[/b]

Because Ireland and France are never tipped as "likely" to win the world cup?
I think everyone in the world (who isn't a NZer) regards them as "chokers" but hell, that doesn't mean they won't do it.
They'll comfortably win their pool stages and then they only have 3 consecutive games to win. You can't argue they are not the favourites, and they've got a remarkable record for the past few years.
[/b][/quote] i know we are regarded as chokers but i mean where do irish and french supporters get the right to bag the allblacks when their own records are so average i mean the guy i was replying to, dismissed nzs chances on the basis that the abs choke yet as you say the abs have a way better record.nz have more chance of wining than france and ireland combined.

Better hope there isn't a breeze or a shower during training, Larkham slips up and he's usually out for 6-8 weeks.
[/b]

Yet he's still played 100 tests. Not a bad effort that. Go Bernie

i know we are regarded as chokers but i mean where do irish and french supporters get the right to bag the allblacks when their own records are so average. [/b]
Good point, but logic has no place in a rugby forum.

You see Ireland and France arent expected to win the world cup. If we lose, its because we werent good enough. If you lose its becuase you choked.
Its all fairly simple really. I dont understand why your NZ'ers dont get it. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts