• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Who's Watching The Grand Final This Weekend?

I don't think that's on the same level as eye gouging personally, although he does punch an unconscious man in the eye socket.

I don't think it's anywhere near eye gouging.

He was over the top, but it all happened so quick i don't think he even realised he was properly out when he whacked him on the floor. Not saying that doesn't make it wrong, just saying i'm not convinced it was as calculated as people make out.

8 weeks ban with no pay, substantial fine and community work would be justified in my less than professional legal opinion. :)

I don't think it's anywhere near eye gouging.

He was over the top, but it all happened so quick i don't think he even realised he was properly out when he whacked him on the floor. Not saying that doesn't make it wrong, just saying i'm not convinced it was as calculated as people make out.

8 weeks ban with no pay, substantial fine and community work would be justified in my less than professional legal opinion. :)

Completely agree on all counts GN10.

Gouging is a deliberate attempt to injure/blind the victim - that's what makes it so heinous.

I suspect the police involvement will just be to liase with the disciplinary panel and ensure that they are happy with the punishment doled out.
I could see them facilitating some sort of community service type thing/anger management to run in tandem with his ban.

Last edited:
He sized up his eye socket whilst he was on the floor. For me it was extremely calculating.

It was calculated. After the first punch there was enough time to make a conscious decision, and he decided to race up to him and land another one. He chose to attack him on the ground

Eye gouging usually takes place in a scrum when the hand comes in contact with eye unintentionally and perp takes advantage heinously in every ones mind including mine!!!

Between Flower being hit, knocking him out, rolling him over and aiming a punch at his eye socket, there is enough time to suggest a level of premeditation in the fact and aim of the second punch!

That is my comparison of a gouge and this punch. The former is a dreadful thing to do provided mainly by circumstance. The latter was marginally less dreadful but the opportunity to do it was made by Flower chasing, punching, dropping him, rolling over and doing it again!!

Eye gouging usually takes place in a scrum when the hand comes in contact with eye unintentionally and perp takes advantage heinously in every ones mind including mine!!!

Can't say I agree with that.

Can't say I agree with that.

I can understand that but have to admit never seen anyone gouge an eye one on one in outside of a ruck, maul or scrum? So maybe it is just my perception from what I have seen......I was using the word "scrum" (erroneously?) to encompass the ruck, maul and actual set piece!

He's been given "a six month ban."

The reality of the situation is that he's actually got a 12 game ban, plus two friendlies.

I can understand that but have to admit never seen anyone gouge an eye one on one in outside of a ruck, maul or scrum? So maybe it is just my perception from what I have seen......I was using the word "scrum" (erroneously?) to encompass the ruck, maul and actual set piece!

Guessing you've forgotten about Julien Dupuy's double attempt at Stephen Ferris' eyes? I suppose Ferris was part of it as a pillar, but Dupuy came in to go for his eyes, definitely knew exactly what he was doing.
[video=youtube_share;R9aKZIh2CHc]http://youtu.be/R9aKZIh2CHc[/video]

Arguably Alan Quinlan's gouge on Leo Cullen back in 2009 wasn't part of the ruck, again because he went in on someone already pinned there.

The ban seems slightly light but not too bad. He doesn't have a particularly violent history as I understand. I don't think throwing the book at a first time offender is something I would support

Latest posts