• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Who's your favorite Lock

B

bates

Hi guys,

This is actually a topic I wanted to start much more earlier but now seemed a good time as it suddenly popped up in my head again.
The original idea was to have a debate about Ali Williams and Victor Matfield. Both of them are players who I really appreciate as every time I play a rugby game I end up playing Lock ☺

Matfield: because he’s such a powerful player and great skipper for the Bulls. Whenever he plays for the Boks he is one of those players who keeps performing at the same high level.

Ali: for the same reason and I just like the way he participate in the haka, also played an important role for the Crusaders last season when winning the Super 14.

But I think we easily could fit in order players who play at that position, although I would really appreciate your opinion about Matfield and Williams.

A last player I would like to add for the moment is Tom Donnelly,( as he’s born and raised in Rotorua and as that is my second home) I really liked his contribution for the Highlanders in this year S14 ( didn’t see that many games). And he did get into the AB.

So please share your favorite lock.

Chur

As much as i dislike Botha, as he's a dirty player, and not in an endearing way, he is a great lock

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Intercept King JdV @ Nov 7 2009, 09:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I think the name Bakkies Botha says enough :D[/b]

I agree on you, it's just that I saw more bok games with Matfield then Botha.
Altho due to the above mentioned reason I stick with Matfield for now.
Need to see more Botha games :)

Botha usually plays with Matfield.

Best Locks in the world in my opinion, and not in order because they are all debatable.

Victor Matfield, Chris Jack, Ali Williams, Bukkies Botha, Simon Shaw, Steve Borthwick, Brad Thorn, Paul O'Connel. Some of them are debatable, but those are the locks I rank the most highly.

Since it is favourite, I would have to say Issac Ross, lacks the aggression and baulk of a typical lock, but makes up for it with ball skills and mobility. I think at international level would be best suited coming off the bench late in a game when the opposition has tired and be like another loosie forward. I would have thought they would have taken him on the european tour, but it was Canterbury gain anyway. :D

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ickon @ Nov 8 2009, 03:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Since it is favourite, I would have to say Issac Ross, lacks the aggression and baulk of a typical lock, but makes up for it with ball skills and mobility. I think at international level would be best suited coming off the bench late in a game when the opposition has tired and be like another loosie forward. I would have thought they would have taken him on the european tour, but it was Canterbury gain anyway. :D[/b]
I have a fear about Isaac Ross, that they will make him bigger and he will lose his spead. He has the potential to become very good if he can become more solid and retain his speed. On another note, does anyone else hope Brad Thorn keeps going to the RCW? I mean he is looking in great form and he is all ready pretty old.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Nickdnz @ Nov 8 2009, 12:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ickon @ Nov 8 2009, 03:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Since it is favourite, I would have to say Issac Ross, lacks the aggression and baulk of a typical lock, but makes up for it with ball skills and mobility. I think at international level would be best suited coming off the bench late in a game when the opposition has tired and be like another loosie forward. I would have thought they would have taken him on the european tour, but it was Canterbury gain anyway. :D[/b]
I have a fear about Isaac Ross, that they will make him bigger and he will lose his spead. He has the potential to become very good if he can become more solid and retain his speed. On another note, does anyone else hope Brad Thorn keeps going to the RCW? I mean he is looking in great form and he is all ready pretty old.
[/b][/quote]

It's my big fear that he doesn't make it to the WC. Assuming that Williams and Chris Jack return to form your 3rd lock will still be Ross, if Thorn can't make it. The lineouts will be better but you lose a lot of grittyness at the breakdown, a big work ethic and someone who can go toe to toe with Bakkies Botha. Ross is pretty much a younger version of Williams and Jack is more of the all around guy. If Thorn is too old then it will be imperative that Hayman comes back to make up for the loss of work around the park. Plus I don't think people notice it but I really feel the Vice Captain isn't Mils but Thorn, just watch how he holds himself around the park, look how people listen when he talks and how his emotion fuels everyone around him. It's amazing how much better he got on his second tour of duty in Union.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (fcukernaut @ Nov 8 2009, 07:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Nickdnz @ Nov 8 2009, 12:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ickon @ Nov 8 2009, 03:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
[/b][/quote]

It's my big fear that he doesn't make it to the WC. Assuming that Williams and Chris Jack return to form your 3rd lock will still be Ross, if Thorn can't make it. The lineouts will be better but you lose a lot of grittyness at the breakdown, a big work ethic and someone who can go toe to toe with Bakkies Botha. Ross is pretty much a younger version of Williams and Jack is more of the all around guy. If Thorn is too old then it will be imperative that Hayman comes back to make up for the loss of work around the park. Plus I don't think people notice it but I really feel the Vice Captain isn't Mils but Thorn, just watch how he holds himself around the park, look how people listen when he talks and how his emotion fuels everyone around him. It's amazing how much better he got on his second tour of duty in Union.
[/b][/quote]
Yeah, Thorn seems to be a fine wine that keeps improving with age, so I really hope he makes it to the World Cup. Ali Williams can also play the enforcer role that Ross isn't big enough to perform yet. That being said Ross could become an amazing talent if he just gets bigger.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Nickdnz @ Nov 8 2009, 02:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

Best Locks in the world in my opinion, and not in order because they are all debatable.

Victor Matfield, Chris Jack, Ali Williams, Bukkies Botha, Simon Shaw, Steve Borthwick, Brad Thorn, Paul O'Connel. Some of them are debatable, but those are the locks I rank the most highly.[/b]
Heh Steve Borthwick.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (feicarsinn @ Nov 9 2009, 01:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Nickdnz @ Nov 8 2009, 02:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Victor Matfield, Chris Jack, Ali Williams, Bukkies Botha, Simon Shaw, Steve Borthwick, Brad Thorn, Paul O'Connel. Some of them are debatable, but those are the locks I rank the most highly.[/b]
Heh Steve Borthwick.
[/b][/quote]
I realise that call is a bit of a stretch, but didn't want to seem too bias and only include 2 NH players and 5 SH players.

Yeah but he's poo. The Welsh are fond of AWJ, maybe he'd be a better option for balance.

Everybody who's not English likes Steve Borthwick as equally as we English hate Steve Borthwick. Mostly due to his remarkable crapiness while being a certain selection.

All Locks can be mentioned.
Just saw the last S14 final, Botha did some great things but so did Matfield :)

Luke Charteris plays out of his skin (Almost, anyway) every single game. He's not the most able player, but he always gives it his all. It also helps he's the second tallest-ever international player.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DuncTheDoodle @ Nov 8 2009, 10:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Luke Charteris plays out of his skin (Almost, anyway) every single game. He's not the most able player, but he always gives it his all. It also helps he's the second tallest-ever international player.[/b]

Tallest being?

Another one of my favorites is Andries Bekker, very mobile for a big guy and almost always has a smile on his face.Has been said that he will probably be the guy to fill Matfield's boots when Matfield hangs up his boots for the Boks.

At 2.08 meters Bekker is the tallest lock ever to play for South Africa, don't know if he is also the tallest lock in the world???

Here is his profile:
Andries%20Bekker_large.jpg

http://images.supersport.co.za/Andries Bekker_large.jpg
Andries Bekker

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Steve-o @ Nov 8 2009, 08:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DuncTheDoodle @ Nov 8 2009, 10:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Luke Charteris plays out of his skin (Almost, anyway) every single game. He's not the most able player, but he always gives it his all. It also helps he's the second tallest-ever international player.[/b]

Tallest being?
[/b][/quote]
Richard Metcalfe standing at 7'1.

No idea who he is, but it's what Google told me. He's a Southern Hemisphere-based chap, though, I know that much.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DuncTheDoodle @ Nov 9 2009, 12:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Steve-o @ Nov 8 2009, 08:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DuncTheDoodle @ Nov 8 2009, 10:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Tallest being?
[/b][/quote]
Richard Metcalfe standing at 7'1.

No idea who he is, but it's what Google told me. He's a Southern Hemisphere-based chap, though, I know that much.
[/b][/quote]

According to Wikipedia:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
Richard Metcalfe (born 21 November 1973 in Leeds, England) is a former Scottish rugby union footballer. He was the world's tallest ever international rugby player and Britain's tallest athlete. At 7 feet (213 cm), Metcalfe was about six inches taller than a typical second row forward, giving him considerable presence at the front of the line-out. However, it also meant that in open play his body position in contact was less than ideal, because of his high centre of gravity.

He won 11 Scotland caps between 2000 and 2002 and played for the Northampton Saints club. In 2003, however, his contract with the Borders/SRU was terminated after he suffered a long-term knee injury.

In 2005, Metcalfe set up his own sportswear and sourcing company, Orion Sourcing in Newcastle-upon-Tyne, where he now lives with his wife and two children. Orion Sourcing was later added to by Orion Rugby and Orion Workwear.[/b]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Metcalfe

So I guess Bekker isn't the tallest lock in the world if this Metcalfe guy really was 2.13 meters tall

Latest posts