• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Who's your favorite Lock

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Intercept King JdV @ Nov 8 2009, 11:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DuncTheDoodle @ Nov 9 2009, 12:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Steve-o @ Nov 8 2009, 08:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DuncTheDoodle @ Nov 8 2009, 10:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Luke Charteris plays out of his skin (Almost, anyway) every single game. He's not the most able player, but he always gives it his all. It also helps he's the second tallest-ever international player.[/b]

Tallest being?
[/b][/quote]
Richard Metcalfe standing at 7'1.

No idea who he is, but it's what Google told me. He's a Southern Hemisphere-based chap, though, I know that much.
[/b][/quote]

According to Wikipedia:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
Richard Metcalfe (born 21 November 1973 in Leeds, England) is a former Scottish rugby union footballer. He was the world's tallest ever international rugby player and Britain's tallest athlete. At 7 feet (213 cm), Metcalfe was about six inches taller than a typical second row forward, giving him considerable presence at the front of the line-out. However, it also meant that in open play his body position in contact was less than ideal, because of his high centre of gravity.

He won 11 Scotland caps between 2000 and 2002 and played for the Northampton Saints club. In 2003, however, his contract with the Borders/SRU was terminated after he suffered a long-term knee injury.

In 2005, Metcalfe set up his own sportswear and sourcing company, Orion Sourcing in Newcastle-upon-Tyne, where he now lives with his wife and two children. Orion Sourcing was later added to by Orion Rugby and Orion Workwear.[/b]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Metcalfe

So I guess Bekker isn't the tallest lock in the world if this Metcalfe guy really was 2.13 meters tall
[/b][/quote]

No but Bekker is the tallest Springbok ever at 2.08cm. I guess that makes Charteris the 3rd tallest International player ever.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DuncTheDoodle @ Nov 8 2009, 09:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Steve-o @ Nov 8 2009, 08:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DuncTheDoodle @ Nov 8 2009, 10:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Luke Charteris plays out of his skin (Almost, anyway) every single game. He's not the most able player, but he always gives it his all. It also helps he's the second tallest-ever international player.[/b]

Tallest being?
[/b][/quote]
Richard Metcalfe standing at 7'1.

No idea who he is, but it's what Google told me. He's a Southern Hemisphere-based chap, though, I know that much.
[/b][/quote]

Well he played for Scotland, largely because he was tall. (See what I did there?)

Andries Bekker, best attacking lock ive ever seen. Seemed to be a part of every try the Stormers scored in 2008. A real star of the future :)

Well, Matfield when playing in green. Others I like are Simisi Naevo from Fiji (I always try to emulate his regathering kick offs and got a 5/5 against a team that didn't lift the catcher at the kick off??) and Chris Jack and I think O'Connell and Chabal are also real icons in rugby.

Only considering guys currently playing of course.

In no particular order my top 5 would be
botha
matfield
o connell
albacete
nallet

I'd have to say Bakkies Botha.

While there are numerous locks that could be considered better I cant think of one that offers the destructive power that Botha does. Matfield is probably the most technical, but 90% of that can be immitated. Botha cannot be immitated. He is his own differentiating factor and so holds a competitive advantage over the rest that cannot be copied.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Logorrhea @ Nov 12 2009, 05:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I'd have to say Bakkies Botha.

While there are numerous locks that could be considered better I cant think of one that offers the destructive power that Botha does. Matfield is probably the most technical, but 90% of that can be immitated. Botha cannot be immitated. He is his own differentiating factor and so holds a competitive advantage over the rest that cannot be copied.[/b]

The aggressive vs technical side of being a lock is an interesting point of view. I, however, prefer to observe the more technical skilled players as this is a very learnfull proces. Playing an aggressive game and keeping it up for 80 minutes is something that I'm not capable to. ( For the moment) :D

Altho it's very entertaining.
The last couple of days I have been watching some Botha clips and I have to say I'm becoming a fan.

Latest posts