• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Why Are There No World Class Players?

I don't like Aaron Smith vs teams that are good at the breakdown... I have always worried about him vs teams like England who are strong at the breakdown. When we lost to them, he played terrible. When we then beat them, he still played terrible. I just, I find it hard to put him above every other halfback because he just does his job. He just happens to do it for the All Blacks.. And, to be honest.. I really thought Perenara would have ripped that position from him by now... But has somehow let Kerr-Barlow past him, it still baffles me why... Perenara is one of those superstar halfbacks that can pull magic out at any time. And I guess that's what Hansen doesn't like... That uncertainty, whereas Smith and Kerr-Barlow just do their job.

I think Aaron Smith is probably the best SH in the world, and while Perenara is right up there too, he suffers a bit from being too much the same as Smith.

TKB offers something different. He's taller, more physical, runs more and tackles more effectively, and IMO that is why Hansen picks him as the bench SH. He can bring TKB to change the game.

Jack McGrath has quietly gone and become the best loosehead in the world for me. Great scrummager, hits more than his share of rucks, brilliant defensive presence, often lasts 80 minutes with no obvious sign of fatigue and, while not an explosive carrier, he holds his own and will always retain the ball. He'd be my shout for world class in the Ireland ranks.

I definitely think some of your opinions here are warped a little bit by nostalgia making what has passed seen better. Your view on OC for example, there's no one around who's quite as good as Smith but Kuridrani, Joseph, JD and Henshaw are all better than Kriel has ever been at 13 and they're up there with Kuridrani last year too but don't have a gameplan built around them.

Also, if you're taking the view of world class being head and shoulders above the rest than there's quite a simple explanation. The heart of NZ's RWC winning sides, which was the best rugby team of the pro era if not ever, have moved on and are yet to be replaced while a few really good guys have come through the ranks in the NH, particularly England. I for one hope your view is a sign that the infamous gap is closing, England's whitewash and a banjaxed Ireland being competitive points to that too!

Beast didn't have a bad game, but keep your eyes on Steven Kitshoff. If he gets a fair chance he will make most tight-heads in world rugby look bad, mark my words.

The thing is now the way has gone systems dictate how good a player goes. The standard is so high and the gaps aren't huge that simply form and styles the team play are massive parts.

Latest posts