• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Why don't most teams have last names on their shirts?

U

USA_Rugby

Just wondering.

And also, would it be weird for me to get my favorite player's name on the back of a shirt, even if the team's shirts don't have them?

I've no idea why most teams don't have the surnames on the back. I know Wales do it quite often and I know that the Welsh regions do it nearly all the time (from what i can remember), but i don't know why other (internationally speaking) don't do it.

I don't see the problem in someone having a name of their favourite player put on the back of their jersey.
If that's what you want then who's to tell you that it's wrong or weird. Go for it, i say.

But it's easier for Wales, they can just order Jones and Williams shirts in bulk. The other countries have to sew on a different name for every player!

All blacks have their names on their shirts just not visible to the naked eye lol

It has their name, AB number, Test number, opposition and date sewn on. Cant remember where. Saw this on one of the WC programmes when the dude was interviewing Mils

But it's easier for Wales, they can just order Jones and Williams shirts in bulk. The other countries have to sew on a different name for every player! [/b]

hahahahahahhaha :bravo: don't forget Thomas

All blacks have their names on their shirts just not visible to the naked eye lol

It has their name, AB number, Test number, opposition and date sewn on. Cant remember where. Saw this on one of the WC programmes when the dude was interviewing Mils [/b]

i think it's on the inside back just inside the neck. i vaguely remember someone flogging greg sommerville's old jersey, and it had his nickname "Yoda" too

i think they don't have them because youre playing for the name on the front of your shirt, not the one on the back..

at least that is true of college teams here who use no names and im sure its a similar tradition in rugby

im all in favor of names on the back i think it makes it look more pro.

Most dont have names on the back because it's not yours.....you're just keeping it warm for the next player.

My club asked that, then I asked them, what happens when you are asked to play a different position? What happens when there is an injury and someone has to start in place of you?
Rugby is a sport where positions and numbers are the same thing. You aren't #70, Nate Rowlan. You are #3 the tight-head prop.
This is the brilliance behind rugby...a more humble, gentlemanly sport...which is also violent. Lovely combo.

But it's easier for Wales, they can just order Jones and Williams shirts in bulk. The other countries have to sew on a different name for every player!
[/b]
Lol yeah, Wales are the easiest team to make jerseys for next to the Mississippi Hillbilly's twister club.

BTW i remember the Boks had their surnames on their jerseys about 6 or 7 years ago.

The only teams I know who do it to this very day are Wales and the Chiefs S14 team. I also remember that 'Boks had names about 6 years ago also, they dropped it after a season or two I think.

I don't see a need in names, it kind of tells you it's not an individual game, rather a teams game.

In France neither the national side nor the clubs players have their name on their jerzeys. There's no Sponsor either on the national side jerzey. I guess this reflects the usual anti-mercantilism of the French.

Regarding the names I think it's to remind that in a Rugby team individualism is not wellcome, at least that was what my coach was used to tell me during my playing years.

It has their name, AB number, Test number, opposition and date sewn on. Cant remember where. Saw this on one of the WC programmes when the dude was interviewing Mils
[/b]

They have their name sewn in black thread on their side along the seam, near the waist. I saw that on one of the WC shows with Brendon Leonard.

Tbh i think its more a case of being a waste of money for amature sides havng to buy a set of shirts 1-22 for the game with everyones number on it, then having an injury to their flyhalf so say the fullback will play there next game and only have the 15 shirt with his name on it. So they would have to order a 10 shirt with his surname on it. Its just easyer having 1-22 without names so you just wear the shirt for your position without worrying about whos name is on it.

If like in league there were squad numbers and the positions werent as linked to the numbers im sure there would be more names on shirts. All the teams in the guinness premiership do it now but for them buying a new shirt or two for each game isnt breaking the bank.

I hate it when Wales have the names on the shirts. It looks so tacky and cheap and what's the point anyway? Everyone's called Jones or Williams and some have the same first names as well so they have to print all of their initials in too! I like having the numbers on the left arm though, I think that's originally a French thing (?).
The Ospreys used to have surnames as well, but we dropped it last season, which pleased me. :D :bana: :cheers:

Numbers on the backs of shirts is really just a welsh thing I think. They're quite guilty of trying to make rugby a bit more like football in that respect. Sounds harmless enough, but rugby has always been a team game. Names shouldn't be put on the back of the shirt because it's not about individualism. It's a team game, it's a team effort and there are no individuals. Every man, 1-22, has his part to play in the game even if they don't come on. To me, names are just a pointless gimick that'll set us down the road of perma-tanned, stupid haircut wearing, silver boot wearing show offs who think they're bigger than the team. Well, Wales have already got that problem in Henson but that's not the point :p. Most international sides print the name of the player, number and date of the game somewhere small but that's cause the player keeps the shirt and it's a momento of their game and cap, but that isn't promoting individualism in a very team orientated game. Yes, rugby needs to move forward but let's not abandon this tradition.

in representative games in the nrl (city vs country and state of origin) they have names on their jerseys but im not sure why australia don't because thats the highest rep team you can play for.

Latest posts