• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Why don't most teams have last names on their shirts?

The only major teams I can think of, the Welsh national side and regional sides and Edinburgh did in the Henieken Cup last season.

To be honest I see no point in having surnames on the back of rugby shirts. Football is the main sport which puts names on the back of their shirts, and we all don't want rugby to turn into football. In my opinion team sports which place names on the back of their shirts are too full of individuals who want to make names for themselves, not their team.

Just wondering.

And also, would it be weird for me to get my favorite player's name on the back of a shirt, even if the team's shirts don't have them?
[/b]

I personally think that on rugby shirts, teams are better off without names. The number in rugby means much more - for example number 6 in football could be anyone, in rugby it's a blindside flanker (openside if you're a springbok). I like the way that all 15 players wear the same kit, with the number denoting what their job in the game is going to be. Names make it more personalised, which I think loses something from the feeling that you've got 15 guys numbered from 1-15 all part of a team.

Some clubs don't put player names on the back for their subs, instead a generic word associated with the club (E.g. Northampton subs have "Saintsman" or "Saints", I believe Leicester employ a similar policy) so only the 1st XV get their names on the kit.

I do not like the sponsors names on the front of the jerseys. I know it's for the money. I try to find jersey's in sports shops without the sponsors name but it is very difficult. Found a Scotland jersey without one and also a French jersey for my collection. I have seen Aussie jerseys without the sponsor's name. Toyota completely ruins the Munster jersey for me. Found another version of it.

I do not like the sponsors names on the front of the jerseys. I know it's for the money. I try to find jersey's in sports shops without the sponsors name but it is very difficult. Found a Scotland jersey without one and also a French jersey for my collection. I have seen Aussie jerseys without the sponsor's name. Toyota completely ruins the Munster jersey for me. Found another version of it. [/b]

You won't find any sponsor name on the RU French jersey.

Latest posts