• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Why dont people like Eddie Butler commentating?

Must add I loved the Butler, Moore and POC chemistry yesterday in commentary. Brian Moore is a worldclass commentator and himself and Paulie mix well with input

I think 3 in the commentary box works.

I think 4 experts pundits* in studio is one too many. Its too many for discussion among panel to break out and restricts presenter to doing laps asking largely standalone questions.

*had to correct when I realised I was inferring Guscott was an expert.

I don't necessarily see that as a bad thing when Inverdale is the presenter ;)

I don't necessarily see that as a bad thing when Inverdale is the presenter ;)

Well, if you'd 3 pundits, they'd have a better chance of talking among themselves and ignoring Inverdale.

The newer arrivals Warburton and Hartley have been outstanding, would love to see/hear more hopefully commentating on the match. Would also keep O'Connell and Cheika.

Butler goes along with Inverdale, Guscott, Woodward and mixed/unsure about Davies and Moore.

BT/ITV rugby coverage is better in every way still. Get some of those in along with director/production crew (but not Kay).

The newer arrivals Warburton and Hartley have been outstanding, would love to see/hear more hopefully commentating on the match. Would also keep O'Connell and Cheika.

Butler goes along with Inverdale, Guscott, Woodward and mixed/unsure about Davies and Moore.

BT/ITV rugby coverage is better in every way still. Get some of those in along with director/production crew (but not Kay).
Takes all sorts... most on here would agree with you rink, me and my mates prefer the beeb. I do like Flats though.

Takes all sorts... most on here would agree with you rink, me and my mates prefer the beeb. I do like Flats though.
Flatman is good, even if he is a horrible barfer.

Do you not find you miss bits of the match on beeb as the camera will cut to the wrong one panning across some grass or be showing someone on the sidelines whilst a 5m line out is taking place and maul is well underway (or even clean break) before it cuts back? I find it infuriating, never mind the commentary. Was better for the France vs England game because they didn't have control.

Butler is okay. I do find his montages a bit over the top and he's generally a bit over dramatic for my taste but I think that's a personal preference than anything. I like jiffy for his insight being an ex player but he does come across a bit biased although he does praise good play from any side. I like Moore it's that no nonsence style that appeals to me just brutally honest. Tbf it's a decent mix of character that works well imo

Flatman is good, even if he is a horrible barfer.

Do you not find you miss bits of the match on beeb as the camera will cut to the wrong one panning across some grass or be showing someone on the sidelines whilst a 5m line out is taking place and maul is well underway (or even clean break) before it cuts back? I find it infuriating, never mind the commentary. Was better for the France vs England game because they didn't have control.
I guess I'm talking more about commentary and punditry... unpopular train of thought but ITV is a little 'dry' for me. I just prefer the relaxed almost pub banter style of the beeb,

Listening to Woodward and how he seems to have no concept of what rugby is, I recon his contribution was to walk into the England coaching offices and go "you guys remember, it's 0-0 at half time ok?" and nothing else. The actual coaches did everything for him.

So I know that this particular interview wasn't actually on the bbc (obviously) but when watching it... I just kept thinking this is a classic example of why I prefer the beeb pundits over the ITV ones.

Listening to Woodward and how he seems to have no concept of what rugby is, I recon his contribution was to walk into the England coaching offices and go "you guys remember, it's 0-0 at half time ok?" and nothing else. The actual coaches did everything for him.

I'm still amazed how he completely botched that B&I Lions tour to NZ when he was coach.

Moore's a dick - says players are "stupid" for doing something that was rightfully stupid like entering a ruck from anoffside position, yet in his playing days he was the first person to be seen charging into a ruck from 20 meters away and running over the top sprigs stamping away

Latest posts