Why don't we see "Wall" moves anymore?

ratsapprentice

Hall of Fame
TRF Legend
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
England
After seeing Temeifuna's try vs the MAB's It occurred to me that they aren't actually illegal...

It seems to be quite a good way of getting your biggest ball carrier to smash it up close to the line - because the small amount of deception buys him enough time to actually dominate contact.
There's not a whole lot of risk involved, and if you kick for a lineout then all you're doing is giving the opposition an opportunity to turn the ball over.

Thoughts - on this move in particular, and "trick"/"party" moves more generally....

Last edited:
didn't we have this discussion a while ago?

I don't know why people don't use them more, i guess the potential for blocking?

When i played for barking we did a wall move called a "hand-grenade".

All the backs would form a circle facing in, and the forwards would form a line across the pitch, the 9 who was at the front of the circle would tap the ball and pick it up and turn into the circle so the ball was hidden.

The ball would then be passed to the chosen runner and everyone would all just run in random directions except the ball carrier who would run across and pop the ball to the pre-chosen forward on the charge.

Never didn't work.

Another good one i saw done to a team i played in was by Saracens - their 9 just picked the ball up said something to the ref then started walking forward waving his hands motioning for us all to get back onside.... until it registered that he'd actually tapped the ball before he picked it up and all he'd said to the ref was "i've taken the tap".

Stopped him on the line, but it was a good move.

Find myself humming Another Brick in the Wall.

No idea why

Latest posts