• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Why no other developers?

S

sanzar

This is just a general question to anyone who's interested, but why do you think that there are no other developers interested in making a rugby game? Rugby is supposedly gaining in popularity around the world, with last year's RWC the most successful ever and the European club scene being incredibly profitable. Which really begs the question: shouldn't there be developers clammering at the chance to cash in on the opportunity to exploit this largely untapped potential video game market? and if not why not? EA Rugby games have never been anything like as impressive as its counterparts in most other major sports, so even factoring in their inconsistent presence within the market there must be room for competitors. Right?

Even so, you'd think there'd be a plucky company out there like Konami was with the PES series that just focusses on awesome gameplay and leaves the official crap to EA. In fact why doesn't somebody contact Konami and tell them to get their arses into gear :p .

The japanese arent that into rugby, we should give them the 2016 world cup and then we will see some interest from them.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gho @ Nov 26 2008, 12:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
The japanese arent that into rugby, we should give them the 2016 world cup and then we will see some interest from them.[/b]

If a rugby game came out of japan as a result of a world cup hosting, i would gladly support it :)

as long as someone did matt giteaus highlites and francois steyn hair and face and making him have a massive kick i would have no hesistation to buy it.

The problem is that the developers are from poor rugby nations, so therefore we get a poor product. EA are awesome generally, as long as it's US Sports, or something they know will sell millions of copies in all major countries.

EA Rugby just doesn't sell well enough to warrant much development. I can't even find a PC version to buy in any gaming shop.. and that's England, so therefore it that's the case in one of the biggest rugby nations, what the hell is it like elsewhere?

I did wonder what Sensi World of Rugby would be like.. pretty awesome IMHO.

yeah EA is probalbly not very interested in Rugby series... as long as people still buys their Rugby games, they have no need to really work hard in this game...altough they should

There were a couple of PS2 rugby games released a few years ago. I think around the same time as Rugby 06 maybe they didn't sell well. One was an NRL game and the other was a generic union game.

That'd be Rugby League 2 (a game which TRF members assisted in the development of) and Rugby Challenge 2006... By our beloved former webhosts, missed but not forgotten Swordfish Studios.

Maybe it's TRFs fault! :lol:

I liked Rugby Challenge, apart from the fact it was like Rugby League. I think in like 50 games i saw 2 penalties.

HB Studios is not part of EA as far as i can tell, unless it comes under the moniker of EA Canada, as HB is based in Canada i think. EA Sports games and the EA Rugby and EA Cricket series differ in their file formats.. i found EA Rugby different to NBA Live. The games look similar, but the files are much different to work with. That, for me tells me if it's a HB or EA programming.

there was a sensible rugby style game, you can download it somewhere on the net, crap, but if you're looking for top down or whatever there definitely are ones out there.

why wud EA waste ther time developing a rugby game when they can make thousands and profit from the fifa games especially from all the ultimate teams and downloadable content which also cost money. also ther is the fact that footballers e.g messi and rooney are sponsered by the fifa games as they always appear on the front cover. the clubs also let players off so they can do the motion capture for there games while in rugby training shedules are that tight they cant be let off.

Latest posts