• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Why not more drop kicks?

T

Tvlman

I have seen it time and time again. Teams who are in the position to kick a drop goal pass it by and go for a try.... and then 3 or 4 minutes later lose the ball. It seems that after a few attempts a team would be wise to just kick a drop goal and thus keep adding up those 3 point scores during the game. Besides after exhaustive attempts and the ball is then lost.....the team is winded and can't play effective defense. Just an observation from a newby. I'm sure there is some strong rationale behind what I'm seeing.

I believe one of the SA teams in the Super 14 are a drop kick team.

The thing is most teams back themselves to score the try.

Dan Carter kicked a drop goal in the super 14 final, also think he missed one in the semi final as well.

one of the tahs kicked one in the semi final as well. My thinking is if you think you can get 7 points go for it, if you dont think you can penetrate that last line of defense and can set it up go for it.

Better question still:

Why not more drop kicks in Semi-Finals by Luke McAlister???

Let's say that most of the time, it's as hard to kick a drop goal as to score a try. Which one bring the most points ? ^^

Let's say that most of the time, it's as hard to kick a drop goal as to score a try. Which one bring the most points ? ^^
[/b]
Well, not really. Unless you're under extreme pressure, then a good kicker should get a drop-goal nine times out of ten.

Better question still:

[/b]
Don't you mean quarter-finals? Or am I missing something? On that matter, didn't McCaw say, "I don't trust his ability to do a drop-goal."? I read that on some other forum, not sure if it's true.

I'm not a fan of drop goals unless they're really needed. I know a guy like Steyn often goes for too many drop goals when the teams in a very good try scoring position.
But if you're right under the posts, the game's almost over and if 3 points will make you win it, then go for it.
One good thing about drop goals is that it infuriates the opposition because they can't do anything about it. So if the team's got excellent defense it'll be a good decision. Otherwise I still think tries are a better option.

Dan Carter kicked a drop goal in the super 14 final, also think he missed one in the semi final as well.

one of the tahs kicked one in the semi final as well. My thinking is if you think you can get 7 points go for it, if you dont think you can penetrate that last line of defense and can set it up go for it.
[/b]

Noticed that. Good example of what I was talking about. The teams kind of start slow sometimes trying to discover each others weaknesses and a drop goal gets attention, throws the other team off a bit and puts points on the board first. Course a try is always better. thanks for the comment.

<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]
Well, not really. Unless you're under extreme pressure, then a good kicker should get a drop-goal nine times out of ten.

Better question still:

[/b]
Don't you mean quarter-finals? Or am I missing something? On that matter, didn't McCaw say, "I don't trust his ability to do a drop-goal."? I read that on some other forum, not sure if it's true.
[/b][/quote]

Sorry, I still can't bveleive we were knocked in the quarters :cryy:

lets say a team kicks a drop goal and adds 3 points to their score.

the ball then goes back into the centre for a kick off and it gets kicked back to the opposition (most of the time).... then what happens.

it gives the opposition a chance to turn the momentum of the game around and with a bit of luck and a few mistakes by the opposition, they could score a converted try, which effectively means the first team is now down 4 points.

Whether it makes sense or not I think the idea of taking the drop goal whenever its on offer is counter-productive to exciting rugby. The way the IRB are going with the ELV's seems to point towards moving even further away from this idea of taking the three at any opportunity.

At this point I'd like to posit the idea of reducing the worth of Drop Goals from 3 to 1 as in League. I think this has a lot of merits, thoughts?

Drop goals are the one way which a rubbish team can get by with just a good kicker. The way we are going will see them go down in value.

I for one would not want to change the value of drop kicks. The value of 3 can provide a lot of excitement late in the match when a team has not put away the victory and is still within striking distance.

drop goals are homosexual. Some of them are bisexual but non of them are metro.

Drop goal is too hard to do correctly and have the non advantage to the kicker is the idiot if the drop fail and his team suffers a try

Metros are just homos in denial

Drop kicks should stay and someone in aust should figure out how to kick them

When they are needed, like when teams can't permeate the line of defense and they need the points, I guess it's ok.
I like seeing long distance ones, just for the sheer circus quality of it.
Also at the end of matches, like the GP semi between Gloucester and Leicester, that was some high pressure edge of the seat ruggers.

To be honest, I've never seen a game drop kicked to death before and I don't think it's a problem. Certainly not a prevalent as teams playing anally safe rugby, a'la the RWC final 2007.

<div class='quotemain'>
drop goals are homosexual. Some of them are bisexual but non of them are metro.
[/b]
I take it you love drop-goals then? [/b][/quote]
Metros are just homos in denial

Drop kicks should stay and someone in aust should figure out how to kick them [/b]

my bad I was supposed to say hetero or hetro.

Latest posts