• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Why SA ?

B

blackbird762p

As a big ALL BLACK supporter in South Africa I always ask myself why can't South Africa or the Boks just select a side chosen om merrit alone.It makes it very difficult to compete against world class teams if you are playing a side that's half baked and not the best in the country.The poloitical situation in SA does make it VERY difficult for the selectors in this country as they HAVE to select "players of color" even if they are not good enough to make the side.In other words,participating is more important than winning.Supporting a country that plays international rugby with a political backbone is not on and that is why many south africans are now simply turning their backs on the boks to support a sides that can still select a side on merrit.
:(

While I agree that policitcs messing with rugby or any sport for that matter is not ideal, we don't nearly have half the situation that we did a couple of years ago when the quota started appearing as the talent now has developed phenomenally. It's been 13 years since the end of apartheid, so these guys we label as quota's now had worked through the same ex-white pivilidged tiers to get to where they are now, some selections clearly blur the line between quota and merit e.g you can't tell me Habana is a quota. Once talents like Floors, Fortuin and many more have matured more and gain experience, they too would eventually blur that line even more

As a South African I can assure you, real South Africans won't ever turn their back on the Bok, if they do, they're probably hensopper blood anyway.

Have a look at this topic for some more views on the quota:

http://www.therugbyforum.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=211094

Yip, It makes me angry as hell when this kind of thing happens. Lately however it seems the problem has been rectified.

I agree fully with QKXV that there`s no way in hell that a true Bok supporter will EVER turn his/her back on the Bokke. And I also agree fully with him that you`ll start seeing more and more "players of colour" coming through the ranks to become fully-fledged Boks- on merit - in the not-too-distant future.

Already we have Bryan Habana, Akona Ndungane/JP Pietersen and Guthro Steenkamp who are fully-fledged, 1st-choice XV Boks, and if you look at some of the talent coming through at u19 and u21 level, you`ll see plenty more. Remember these names: Chilliboy Ralepelle, Shandre Frolick, Sangomi Mxoli, Howard Noble, Bandise Maku. Out of this extremely talented lot, only Chilliboy`s played S14 rugby to date. The others were stars at recent u19 and u21 RWC`s. Give these guys another 3-4 years, and you`ll see most of them pushing hard for Bok colours, purely on merit.

The Boks against Samoa - they've packed a white pack, and a "blackline"! Or did I pick that up wrong?

Yip, It makes me angry as hell when this kind of thing happens. Lately however it seems the problem has been rectified.
[/b]

Thanks BokMagic.I think you have pointed out some important things about the players etc.I agree with your point of view and I also agree with the players.There are some real good players like Habana and Floors and even Fortuin etc.They are good enough to play on any day.There are good players coming through but I wish that there wasn't as much political input into the Bok game and selection as we are seeing these days..I am also glad that I am not the Bok coach.But it is a fact that there are x bok supporters that had enough and are now supporting the other sides.No one can blame them for doing just that.Thanks for your input.

RICKY JANUARIE

HES THE GUY WHO SHOULD NOT BE PLAYING RIGHT NOW!!!!!

but still - go bokke!!!!!

But it is a fact that there are x bok supporters that had enough and are now supporting the other sides.No one can blame them for doing just that.Thanks for your input.
[/b]

meh, still not worried, they'll only support NZ until the Bok kicks some AB ass in the RWC final, then they'll be back again :D

I say you should be ready with machine guns for when they come back. Kill em' like the dirty traitors they are.

yes, the sa team's backline playing against samoa this weekend has only two white players in it... just hougaard at flyhalf and steyn at fullback, alhtough this is clearly not a first-string side

13 black players! I thought it was 7 black backs (the blackline), and 8 white forwards. Anyway, people are saying there will be fireworks on the field.

13 black players! I thought it was 7 black backs (the blackline), and 8 white forwards. Anyway, people are saying there will be fireworks on the field.
[/b]

Huh? What squad have you got listed mate?

Full squad for the Manu Samoa game: Steyn, Willemse, Murray, Julies, Pietersen, Hougaard, January, Skinstad, Rossouw, V D Bergh, Ackermann, Botha, Smit, Sir Du Randt.

Reserves: Botha, Carstens, Muller, Wannenburg, Pienaar, Fourie, Monty

I count only 5 "players of colour"- where are the other 8? And yes, there`ll be plenty of fireworks on the field- Hougaard getting creamed by a Samoan and crapping himself again, and some real skill shown between both backlines. And a pretty powerful Bok pack dominating possession and territory.

I misread woohoo - thought "only two white players" referred to the full 15.

Is JW throwing a sop to the critics? Or is this a serious move? Both, I guess. SA rugby politics is difficult, but SA talent needs opportunity.

Yes well, make no mistake, this is very much a 2nd-choice Bok line-up, what with the tri-nations starting next week. An opportunity for some of the fringe players to get a look-in, while some of the 1st-choice players are rested. But unless I`m very much mistaken, it`s probably the 1st time ever that SA are starting with 5 "players of colour" in a test match.

Good opportunity to see how the likes of the very talented Murray and Pietersen goes at test level. And while Julies is by no means a 1st-choice 12, the 1st and 2nd choice 12`s had a run against England recently, so a good chance for him also to show us what he`s got. There have been question marks in the past over his physicality, so a test against the Manu will be interesting.

I'm also interested to see how Murray and Pieterson do for the Boks. And i'm even more happy that Steyn will be at fullback instead of Pieterson, the Sharks were swapping them both between wing and fullback for awhile. IMO Steyn has more composure in that position compared to JP... Btw have any of you Bok supporters noticed that lil hop Januarie does before he feeds the backs? Looks like he puts them under more pressure when he does that because of the delay

Ja man January is so slow he'll get dry paint wet. I can't for the life of me think what JW's motivation is, scrummy is THE position we should have no problem with at all, Fourie is hands down form no9 in the WORLD at the moment and Pienaar plays with so much pace and head up rugby. See what happened when he came on in the second test, immediately we started having options, playig on the front foot. January's look hop step can't ever compete with anything Pienaar has and face it, that try January scored was luck, the kick was all wrong and just happened to bounce brilliantly - he'll have had is quota of luck now.

I they select the best 22 players(of any colour) in SA they will be the best team in the world

I they select the best 22 players(of any colour) in SA they will be the best team in the world [/b]

They will be a good side if the would only play sport and rugby for what it is.Politics aside and only rugby.The Tri Nations will be a good measure of telent and skill in the Bok side.But we have to keep in mind that they haven't been up against quality sides (AUS and NEW ZEALAND) so saturday's game should be interesting.If they can tame those two sides they will be in with a chance at the WC.If not they will have plenty of work ahead before the WC.Facts.

If they aren't playing their best side right now, I'd like to see what it actually does look like...The Bokkes are really strong right now.
Just to let you all know, A good friend of mine who's a missionary in Lusaka, Zambia is now a Bokke fan, thanks to me. While they aren't my first team, I don't have a problem turning people on to them.