• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

WILKO: I NEED TO RELAX MORE

B

Bullitt

1288798.jpg

England World Cup winner Jonny Wilkinson has admitted that he should relax more when away from the rugby pitch.

The fly-half has suffered a string of injuries since kicking the extra-time drop goal that defeated Australia in the World Cup final almost two years ago. [EDIT: Anyone notice that he's apparently never done anything else? Thats all the Media ever mention. Cockbites.]

The lastest setback came during the British and Irish Lions' third Test defeat against the All Blacks earlier in the summer.

And the Newcastle Falcons player has admitted that his own "obsessive" nature has led to feelings of frustration during his enforced absence.

"I've had basically two years of watching everyone else play while I've been injured, and when you are in that situation, you can't live with the same sort of intensity you have when you're training every day and playing every weekend," he said, speaking at Newcastle's pre-season press day.

"It just ends up being very counter-productive, and maybe looking back, I wished I had taken people's advice and had more time off while I was injured.

"But I didn't know it would go on for so long, and hindsight makes it all seem very easy.

"I wished I had used my time when I was injured to understand there is a bit more to life outside of rugby, which is very difficult for me.

"I can never change the person I am, and I will always be absolutely obsessive about my rugby, but maybe I will try and leave it on the field so that I can relax a bit when I am away from it," he added.

Wilkinson has suffered so-called "stinger" injuries to his neck and shoulder - the kind that brought his Lions tour to a premature end - as well as two knee injuries.

But, with Newcastle's first Guinness Premiership match against Sale Sharks taking place on September 2, Wilkinson said that he was upbeat about the future.

"There is no reason to say that just because I had a knee injury last year that I now have a dodgy knee, or that because I got a bang on the shoulder in the summer, I'm injury-prone," he said.

"I have recovered, and I am now going out there as if I was 18 again, only with eight or nine years' more experience."

-------------------------------------------

Your problem Mr. Wilkinson is your biscuit legged and not particularly good anymore.

His pathetic kicking record during the Lions tour (plus the crap he producewd since coming back to the premiership on April 15th) was proof that 'the worlds most prolific left foot' really isn't, while his record of getting injured will forever play with this mind, so he'll never truely give his running and tackling game the same that he used to.

Roughly translated, he's passed it.

Latest posts