• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Will SBW be the first person ever to win both the Rugby World Cup and the NRL

ABs2011

First XV
Country Flag
New Zealand
Club or Nation
Hurricanes
IF the Roosters win the NRL will SBW be the first person ever to win both the Rugby World Cup and the NRL?

No matter what people say about the guy IMO he is a truly exceptional athlete.

I think by the end of his career he will have:
Won 2 Rugby World Cups
an NRL ***le
3+ Super Rugby championships
and a gold medal in the NZ Sevens team.

Brad Thorn. The thing is with all those achievements I doubt SBW will be remembered as a legend in any sport. Brad Thorn though is a legend in both rugby and league. If I was SSBW I would stick to league as that is clearly his better sport.

IF the Roosters win the NRL will SBW be the first person ever to win both the Rugby World Cup and the NRL?

Nope. Brad Thorn did it first, plus more

[TEXTAREA]Winner's medals

Rugby League

Brisbane Broncos
Super League ***le 1997
World Club Championship 1997
NRL ***les in 1998, 2000, and 2006

Queensland
State of Origin 1998 and 1999

Rugby Union

Canterbury
NPC ***les 2001 and 2004
Ranfurly Shield holder

Crusaders
Super Rugby ***le 2008

All Blacks
Bledisloe Cup 2003, 2008, 2009, 2010 and 2011
Tri-Nations ***les 2003, 2008 and 2010 (Undefeated in 2003 and 2010)
Grand Slam 2008 and 2010
Rugby World Cup champion 2011

Leinster
Heineken Cup ***le 2012[/TEXTAREA]

And Brad, the humble man that he is, would be the first to tell you that his success comes largely due to the players around him at the time, and that rugby, in both codes, is a team game.

Last edited:
Only thing Thorn is missing is Pro12 medal. Bloody Ospreys.

edit, with regards to competitions he has played on. Of course there are many more out there.

Only thing Thorn is missing is Pro12 medal. Bloody Ospreys.

edit, with regards to competitions he has played on. Of course there are many more out there.

And a Rugby League World Cup.

Brad Thorn. The thing is with all those achievements I doubt SBW will be remembered as a legend in any sport. Brad Thorn though is a legend in both rugby and league. If I was SSBW I would stick to league as that is clearly his better sport.

Brad Thorn - Wow extremely embarrassed I forgot one of the true greats!

Maybe, maybe not...

I'm not sure we can judge that yet. I think it is obvious no matter what he does he will divide the opinions of sports fans. I suspect that at the end of the day (no matter what he does from now on) some sports fans will see him as one of NZs sports greats while others will hate him. It is the nature of how he has gone about things....

My approach to SBW is to put aside all the contractual crap, all the switching of codes, the "boxing", and all the opinions I hear from anyone else and focus on what he does on the field and how successful the teams he plays for are! If you do that, I don't think you can deny he is on track to legendary status.

In recent times you have:
Rugby World Cup champion ABs (2011) - didn't play a huge on field role but still helped put an end to a 24 year drought ;)
Super Rugby Champion Chiefs (2012) - which many would argue was a bunch of no name players back when the season started
NRL Grand finalists Roosters (2013) - 4th last in 2012 and didn't revamp their team that much (New coach with Jennings and Maloney the only other significant acquisitions)

My hunch is that if he comes back to Union (and I would love him to) he will dominate at 12 for the Chiefs and the ABs. We could easily see him star in an ABs team that defends their RWC ***le in 2015 and that alone would make him a Rugby legend in my books. I also suspect that he will have a crack at the 7's in Rio as well (he would be 31).

Just finally I will also add I haven't always been an SBW fan. He won me over when he dominated for the Chiefs in 2012 and it became apparent he had become the best 12 in the game.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, lots of arguments can be made. I don't think looking back in All Blacks history, SBW will be considered a great. He has played 19 test matches and only started 12 of them. For him to be a great IMO then he would have to dominate for about another 5 seasons in an All Blacks jersey. People are welcome to disagree but that is my criteria for being a great player. It all depends how you define "great". The only definite greats from the current era for me are Richie McCaw and Dan Carter. In time Keiran Read will almost certainly join them. I think you could argue that Mils, Conrad Smith, Julian Savea, Ma'a Nonu, Sam Whitelock and Kevin Mealamu could/have all reached greatness but I don't think I would put any of them there.

SBW was huge for the Chiefs but they were able to go back to back without him. He has definitely been huge for the Roosters and could well be regarded as a great rugby league player. I can't say I'm an expert in that code so I'll leave that up to others to determine.

Well, lots of arguments can be made. I don't think looking back in All Blacks history, SBW will be considered a great. He has played 19 test matches and only started 12 of them. For him to be a great IMO then he would have to dominate for about another 5 seasons in an All Blacks jersey. People are welcome to disagree but that is my criteria for being a great player. It all depends how you define "great". The only definite greats from the current era for me are Richie McCaw and Dan Carter. In time Keiran Read will almost certainly join them. I think you could argue that Mils, Conrad Smith, Julian Savea, Ma'a Nonu, Sam Whitelock and Kevin Mealamu could/have all reached greatness but I don't think I would put any of them there.

SBW was huge for the Chiefs but they were able to go back to back without him. He has definitely been huge for the Roosters and could well be regarded as a great rugby league player. I can't say I'm an expert in that code so I'll leave that up to others to determine.

Don't get me wrong - I'm far from calling him an AB great. He is at best a good AB rookie at the moment (presuming he comes back). And in terms of becoming an AB great, I think I agree with you. You have to put in the time, the hard seasons year in year out, prove you consistency, your commitment and class over the course of time.... The only caveat I have is what if he puts in a couple of unprecedented Lomu like seasons AND plays a massive part in retaining the RWC? Will he go down as an AB great? I think he probably would in most peoples eyes (from watching the Americas cup transpire we all know too well how much Kiwis love a winner!!).

The point of this thread really was though, will he go down as a sporting legend? Pretty hard to argue a credible scenario where he wont IMHO. Just how much of a legend he becomes is the question in my books.

First step starts with the Grand Final this weekend - should be a cracker of a game!!

Don't forget SBW's boxing carreer. Undefeated! LOL. Exceptional footballer though.

Won 2 Rugby World Cups
an NRL ***le

You really think New Zealand will win the World Cup in 2015? Not saying it's impossible, a lot can happen during a RWC tournament. Also winning 2 more Super Rugby ***les is a big statement. I don't think the Chiefs will stay the best NZ team for much longer with both the Blues and Crusaders improving

SBW is already a bigger League legend than Brad Thorn and no Brad Thorn didnt win a NRL ***le and Rugby World Cup before SBW they both Won in 2011 and SBW won with the Dogs in 2004.

SBW is currently rated the best forward in the NRL, Brad Thorn never had such a Privilege.

In regard to Brad Thorn saying his team's were the reason he had so much success he isn't being modest he's telling the truth.

SBW is still only 28 I have no doubt he will prove to be as successful as Thorn

Also SOO selection isn't prestigious if your a true Kiwi so take that off Thorn's Glory list

You really think New Zealand will win the World Cup in 2015? Not saying it's impossible, a lot can happen during a RWC tournament. Also winning 2 more Super Rugby ***les is a big statement. I don't think the Chiefs will stay the best NZ team for much longer with both the Blues and Crusaders improving

Yes I think most people do at this stage

SBW is already a bigger League legend than Brad Thorn and no Brad Thorn didnt win a NRL ***le and Rugby World Cup before SBW they both Won in 2011 and SBW won with the Dogs in 2004.

SBW is currently rated the best forward in the NRL, Brad Thorn never had such a Privilege.

In regard to Brad Thorn saying his team's were the reason he had so much success he isn't being modest he's telling the truth.

Also SOO selection isn't prestigious if your a true Kiwi so take that off Thorn's Glory list

OK, we get it that you don't like Brad Thorn.

BTW, Thorn's first NRL ***le was in 1998 - SBW was 13 years old.

This is the dumbest post of the day.

No one in rugby and league has won collectively as much as Brad Thorn.

I think you'd appreciate Brad Thorn more if he appeared in more highlight reals, however they usually don't make them for guys who clear out rucks better than any other player or are the strongest scrummaging lock in the world. Brad Thorn's professional sporting career will have gone on for 20 years come next season. He has been rated amongst the best in his position in both league and union - and is able to sustain that position over 20 years.

I know some people buy into hype - but this was retarded.

This is the dumbest post of the day.

No one in rugby and league has won collectively as much as Brad Thorn.

I think you'd appreciate Brad Thorn more if he appeared in more highlight reals, however they usually don't make them for guys who clear out rucks better than any other player or are the strongest scrummaging lock in the world. Brad Thorn's professional sporting career will have gone on for 20 years come next season. He has been rated amongst the best in his position in both league and union - and is able to sustain that position over 20 years.

I know some people buy into hype - but this was retarded.

I think Brad Thorn rates as being up there with the greats alongside Richie and Dan.

I think Brad Thorn rates as being up there with the greats alongside Richie and Dan.

Agreed. I don't think there is or will be another player which will win as much as Brad Thorn. I personally rate him as one of the greatest locks in All Blacks history. Debuting for the All Blacks at 26 years old and still managing to play for them 10 years later to win a RWC. Winning pretty much everything there is to win except a Lions tour (which he would have won had he not gone back to league - winning the NRL the following season and playing State of Origin...).

Won 2 Rugby World Cups
an NRL ***le

I think we should start a thread like this when he retires, or when we sleep, that way we can dream and fantasize about SBW and what he might be able to achieve haha

SBW is already a bigger League legend than Brad Thorn and no Brad Thorn didnt win a NRL ***le and Rugby World Cup before SBW they both Won in 2011 and SBW won with the Dogs in 2004.SBW is currently rated the best forward in the NRL, Brad Thorn never had such a Privilege.In regard to Brad Thorn saying his team's were the reason he had so much success he isn't being modest he's telling the truth.SBW is still only 28 I have no doubt he will prove to be as successful as ThornAlso SOO selection isn't prestigious if your a true Kiwi so take that off Thorn's Glory list
Oh boy, you've come to the wrong thread son.

OK, we get it that you don't like Brad Thorn.

BTW, Thorn's first NRL ***le was in 1998 - SBW was 13 years old.

You know what the question was, it was who would win both and they both won the 2011 Rugby World Cup so it doesn't matter who won an NRL ***le first.

I don't dislike Brad Thorn I just think he was an overrated League player, sure he won plenty of ***les but he played with 3/4 of the Queensland team.

I also don't get why people can dig at SBW for leaving the Dogs when they're team culture was terrible (ask Steve Price) and he made a poor decision with a weak as **** manager at the time he was about 21-22 signing his life away. I'm glad he left to be honest.

SBW is also every bit as modest as Brad Thorn, always talking up his boys.

I'd back a code hopper over a country hopper any day.

Last edited:
Actually, seeing as Thorn is taller than SBW, and therefore his highest point is farther away from the Earth's centre of mass than SBW, Thorn would have won the RWC ever so slightly before Sonny Bill thanks to gravitational time dilation.

Latest posts