• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Will SBW be the first person ever to win both the Rugby World Cup and the NRL

I also don't get why people can dig at SBW for leaving the Dogs
Because he flaked on his contract.
Just upped and left not even half way through it, without telling his team until he was in France.
Bit of a dick move.

You really think New Zealand will win the World Cup in 2015? Not saying it's impossible, a lot can happen during a RWC tournament. Also winning 2 more Super Rugby ***les is a big statement. I don't think the Chiefs will stay the best NZ team for much longer with both the Blues and Crusaders improving

On the RWC - at this point in time how could you not think they are favorites to win? They are something like 21-1-1 since winning the RWC in 2011. They hold both the Bledisloe and the RC, and one could easily argue they are improving... Yup I think they will win in 2015. DISC: I also thought they would win in 1995, 2003, and 2007 ;)

The rest was just to illustrate what SBW could achieve...I clearly hadn't thought it through very much as quite rightly it has been pointed out he has already won an NRL ***le :(. BUT I would take you up on the "Crusaders are improving" comment! They have been far from improving in my books. After winning 7 from 11 competitions between 1998 and 2008 (and being runners up twice) they have since made the final once in 5 years and lost.... They have been underperforming for the last 5 years.

Just upped and left not even half way through it, without telling his team until he was in France.
Bit of a dick move.

The thing is he admits it was a dick move, but he was only 21 and has obviously learned a lot from that. Old news IMO, everyone has moved on from that now, even most bulldogs fans ;)

SBW rubs people up the wrong way (both past and present), but if you take a step back from the personalities and look at what he does on the paddock I'm not sure many people would have a bad word to say about him; He was smashing it on the rugby field before he switched codes, he is smashing it now for the Roosters... who else has achieved that?? Thorn definitely did I agree but it is a pretty select few that have the talent to dominate in both codes...

Last edited by a moderator:
This is the dumbest post of the day.

No one in rugby and league has won collectively as much as Brad Thorn.

I think you'd appreciate Brad Thorn more if he appeared in more highlight reals, however they usually don't make them for guys who clear out rucks better than any other player or are the strongest scrummaging lock in the world. Brad Thorn's professional sporting career will have gone on for 20 years come next season. He has been rated amongst the best in his position in both league and union - and is able to sustain that position over 20 years.

I know some people buy into hype - but this was retarded.

***les are nice but you can't tell me the bloke didn't play for some pretty decent teams so I think thats a pretty pointless argument.

Tana Umaga didn't win a Super Rugby ***le or Hold the Ranfurly Shield or Win a Rugby World Cup that Bloke is a far bigger legend in NZ rugby then Thorn obviously.

The highlighted is very arguable and he hardly jumped in the lineouts or caught a kick off two core roles of a Lock. Thorn will rank behind the likes of Whitelock, Retallick, Williams, Jack, Jones, Brooke, Maxwell etc.

You think SBW hasn't been rated amongst the best players in Rugby and League, he has been doing it for a decade + more years to come

If he did get another Rugby World Cup and Olympic Gold Medal (which I personally think he will) that would eclipse anything Thorn did.

What part of the SBW "hype" is wrong, surely you arent arguing he wasn't in the top few 12's in the world last year or that he isn't the best forward in league at the moment.

He has the power of Sam Burgess and the hands of Keiran Foran he's a once in a generation League player, and will be a once in a generation Union player if he goes back and continues to develop at a rapid rate. Most of you knew he had surpassed Nonu just before he left, be honest here.

*I forgot to add they play the same position in League and SBW made 10 times the highlight reels of Thorn and earned 3x the cash in half the amount of time and thats not hype thats just how much better he is.

Bit of a dick move.

Most of the people that dig at SBW don't care for the dogs or even for League. There were rumours at the time he wanted out, so many rumours that there were photographers at the airport waiting for him to board. Anyone with half a brain could have seen it coming. Many players get cut mid contract so why cant the bloke leave mid contract?

You really think New Zealand will win the World Cup in 2015? Not saying it's impossible, a lot can happen during a RWC tournament. Also winning 2 more Super Rugby ***les is a big statement. I don't think the Chiefs will stay the best NZ team for much longer with both the Blues and Crusaders improving

I put it this way: we have a greater chance of winning the 2015 Rugby World Cup than anyone else. However, our chance is probably about 35%. So it is most likely we won't win the World Cup but it is more likely we will win it than anyone else. We have challenges to face in the next two years but I see no reason we should not have some confidence.

Most of the people that dig at SBW don't care for the dogs or even for League. There were rumours at the time he wanted out, so many rumours that there were photographers at the airport waiting for him to board. Anyone with half a brain could have seen it coming. Many players get cut mid contract so why cant the bloke leave mid contract?

lol. So anyone with half a brain can accurately predict what SBW is going to do? Even he doesn't know hat he is going to do most of the time!

SBW left his team mates completely in the lurch. What he did was morally reprehensible. He signed a contract and he should see it out. Clubs that cut players follow correct employment law and basic moral decency..

lol. So anyone with half a brain can accurately predict what SBW is going to do? Even he doesn't know hat he is going to do most of the time!

SBW left his team mates completely in the lurch. What he did was morally reprehensible. He signed a contract and he should see it out. Clubs that cut players follow correct employment law and basic moral decency..

Bro, the kid was 21, he has acknowledged he made a mistake, and has since been true to his word. You never made a mistake when you were 21?

What I don't get is why people continue to bang on about it now - getting close to 10 years ago now, but more importantly it has nothing to do with what he has been achieving on the field.

I think the problem is, people (1) don't like him and (2) can't fault on anything he does on the field so have to go back in history to find some way to knock him down.....

By the way, whilst I understand that SBW keeps a pretty tight lid on what his future has in store, I heard Tony Iro on the radio today and his hunch (as is quite a few peoples apparently) is that IF the Roosters win on the weekend we will see SBW back in Black next season... I'm not a massive league fan, but I know who I'll be cheering for this weekend as the ABs need another world class 12!!

You know what the question was, it was who would win both and they both won the 2011 Rugby World Cup so it doesn't matter who won an NRL ***le first.

I don't dislike Brad Thorn I just think he was an overrated League player, sure he won plenty of ***les but he played with 3/4 of the Queensland team.

I also don't get why people can dig at SBW for leaving the Dogs when they're team culture was terrible (ask Steve Price) and he made a poor decision with a weak as **** manager at the time he was about 21-22 signing his life away. I'm glad he left to be honest.

SBW is also every bit as modest as Brad Thorn, always talking up his boys.

I'd back a code hopper over a country hopper any day.

Actually, I have never bagged SBW for leaving the Bulldogs. That deal was a rort, and his "new" manager did the greatest service he could have done for SBW telling him just walk away from it.

I like SBW and think he has been great for NZ rugby, the Crusaders and the Chiefs, and I hope he does come back to NZ after fulfilling his commitments with the Chooks

As i said it was well known at the time he wasn't happy at the club, there were photographers at the airport waiting for him to board. Why would that be?

Who cares if he didn't tell the boys its hardly morally reprehensible, he didnt rape or kill somebody. People need to get off their high horses. He paid the price for his depature people should just get over it.

No. If you sign a contract, you should keep to it. If he wasn't happy, he shouldn't have signed a five year deal. I am "over it" but that doesn't mean I can't point what he did in the past was wrong. What if Richie McCaw just quit the All Blacks and went to play in France?

Chalk up another SBW achievement!

Sydney 26 Manly 18

Presumably we will get a bit of news out of the SBW camp tonight or tomorrow? Last I heard the Kiwi's squad is being named tomorrow and SBW has promised he will let them know if he is available or not!

He's said he'll decide in the next two weeks what he's doing next year.

I wouldn't guarantee him informing the Kiwis of his availability any time soon either ;)

I wouldn't guarantee him informing the Kiwis of his availability any time soon either ;)

Yup I heard that too, although that was regarding whether he is switching to Union or not. Presumably he could inform the Kiwis about the WC without having to make a long term decision about next year...Tony Iro unconditionally said SBW would be letting them know before Tue's announcement.

Khoder Nasser talked with NZ Rugby league yesterday. Team due to be named in 15 min.

Seem like SBW WON'T be playing for the Kiwis in the RLWC!

EDIT: Not available for the Kiwis - seems to add a bit more weight to him switching back to Union.

Last edited:
Will SBW become the first man to win a Rugby League and Rugby Union World Cup? Not even the great Brad Thorn can claim such prestige!

He has a decent chance, i'd put the Kiwi's forwards at least on par with the Kangaroo's. The Roo's backs are a class above though, but anything can happen as we know in 08.

It's obviously a three horse race with England also appearing as strong as ever and on home soil.

I personally think they need just a little bit more mongrel in their pack, JWH and Luke have it in spades and so does Pritchard when he's in the mood, but Blair and Smith would have been welcome additions IMO. Forget about Tigers form Marshall and Blair always front up for the Kiwi's and they will be missed.

I'm going to say it now I reckon the Kiwi's will go back to back.

Will SBW become the first man to win a Rugby League and Rugby Union World Cup? Not even the great Brad Thorn can claim such prestige!

He has a decent chance, i'd put the Kiwi's forwards at least on par with the Kangaroo's. The Roo's backs are a class above though, but anything can happen as we know in 08.

It's obviously a three horse race with England also appearing as strong as ever and on home soil.

I personally think they need just a little bit more mongrel in their pack, JWH and Luke have it in spades and so does Pritchard when he's in the mood, but Blair and Smith would have been welcome additions IMO. Forget about Tigers form Marshall and Blair always front up for the Kiwi's and they will be missed.

I'm going to say it now I reckon the Kiwi's will go back to back.

Except Benji won't be playing for the Kiwis.

Except Benji won't be playing for the Kiwis.

Yeah i did say they will be missed, the tigers played poorly this year but i still believe those two players would have played much better in Kiwi jerseys.

Pity really, but the team still looks pretty decent.

Yeah i did say they will be missed, the tigers played poorly this year but i still believe those two players would have played much better in Kiwi jerseys.

Pity really, but the team still looks pretty decent.

Haha. oh right. For me Benji is really the magic man, without him I just don't know if they'll have that game breaking creativity (even in his current form).

I think the pairing of Johnson and Foran is the best weve ever had. Benji was good. but he lacked D and sometimes tried too much on attack.

I think the pairing of Johnson and Foran is the best weve ever had. Benji was good. but he lacked D and sometimes tried too much on attack.

I've heard this a few times but have to disagree, it has the potential to be the best ever but it isn't their yet. Johnson's D isn't any better then Benji's as well.

I still have to put a Henry Paul/Stacey Jones combo ahead of them, player for player I think they have reached a higher level although both Foran and Johnson are still young.
Foran is probably the number 2 Five Eighth in the NRL and he hasn't peaked yet, he does have the luxury of playing in the best backline in the comp though and he needs to improve his kicking game.
Johnson is a long way off Stacey Jones, he still hasn't learnt how to control a team yet. Watching the Warriors I see him freeze up, he doesn't demand the ball like all the great playmakers do. He went missing quite a bit this season when the game was on the line, Thomas Leuluai is a decent player but he shouldn't be doing the majority of the kicking like he did for much of the season.

This one is back.

SBW the first man to win a Rugby League and Rugby Union World Cup? He's got a chance.

I believe Mat Rogers won a Rugby League World Cup in 2000 and played in the 2003 Rugby Union World Cup final. Jason Robinson won the Rugby Union World Cup in 2003 and played in the 1995 Rugby League World Cup final. SBW has now equalled them. Can he go one better?

If he does it will be the greatest cross code achievement in history (Union/League cross code that is).

Last edited:

Latest posts