• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Worcester Warriors Up For Sale - Buyers Must Commit To Staying Put

TRF saying SRU looking at buying the club. Some pretty interesting ramifications if this is the case.

In fairness it'd make almost as much sense if it was Samoa. A completely speculative piece on SRU interest in Worcester.

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/rugb...worcester-bid-faces-several-hurdles-1-4641331

Fair to say I'm not happy about this. The SRU are incredibly efficient these days at maximising their options to get the strongest 23 possible on the park, but they don't half rub me up the wrong way with how they go about things. There isn't a whole lot of sporting integrity or loyalty to partners that I can see.

What does this say about their commitment to the Pro14 and to the playerbase at Edinburgh and Glasgow? Presumably they'd fill the team with "Scottish Qualified" players of English origin so as not to alienate the fans so much?

Hopefully this rumour is baseless.

What I find interesting about the SRU buying Worcester is that the SRU is not a rich man with non-rugby income that they can use to subsidize the club's operations. Will an SRU owned Worcester be able to remain competitive? Won't they just get relegated?

I still don't understand this. If they want to increase their player base then they should be adding another team into pro14, whether that be in Dundee, Aberdeen or at London Scottish, (if they want more 'Scottish qualified' players).

In fact looking at London Scottish, they have a great situation, where the SRU can exploit London wealth for sponsorship, while keeping a Scottish flavour. Also, AFC Wimbledon are in the process developing a new stadium of about 11,000, which is perfect for Scottish to use as home ground.

While talking about all the London Exile clubs, Wasps have shown that there is only really space for 2 top line clubs in Greater London in the AP, (this is the reason for their move to Coventry).

How about both Irish and Welsh (yes WRU buy the bloody club), moving to the Pro14. It would open up more revenue streams for both parties as the current teams would get access to London wealth, while the clubs could really create an exile feel, think of team coming to the big smoke to play them.

Irish have booked to play at Brentford's new ground, while Welsh may need to look towards say the Woking FC ground or Kingstonian FC ground for their home venue, leaving the amateur clubs at their original bases.

With regards to Woking, I doubt that they would want to ground-share in the long-term. There are some noises being made about moving from Kingfield, but suitable sites in the area are few and far between.

Kingstonian's ground is now owned by Chelsea FC (their Under 21s play there). Kingstonian are looking to build a new ground, but currently ground-share with Leatherhead FC.

I suppose Welsh could always get back in with Oxford United?

The ground could be still up for discussion, but my main idea of moving to Pro14 is vital.

It will bring in much needed revenue for the league by having a London interest, but also help the Celtic unions with player recruitment.

Latest posts