• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

World Cup 2010 Football

Ill be following the All Whites for this World Cup.

I like watching the World Cup but don't really support England in it, normally just route for whoever is the underdogs in that particular match,

Though i am looking forward to the England/USA match

Allready bored shitless of the thing! Every advert throws in somethign to do with football, even if it makes no sense atall. People have also started stickign those stupid flags on their cars. I'll probably watch a few games when there's nothing better to do, but I'll be supporting anyone but England, purely because if they win it we won't hear the end of it. Tabloids still go on about '66...... I'm sure I'd be a little more interested if Wales qualified, but overall not a big football fan.

purely because if they win it we won't hear the end of it. Tabloids still go on about '66.
That's the reason i don't suppor them either. England football fans are the most deluded and arrogant sports fans in the world
Also, it'd be amusing to see all the chavs crying into their cans of stella when they bomb out in the group stages

Don't be silly, this is England you're on about... They'll bumble through the group stage, finish the first knockout game 1-1 (after whoever this years high profile player is red-carded) and go out on penalties.

I will be supporting England, as i always have in SOCCER, seeing as i was an official mascot for Swindon Town when they played Chelsea in '96. I have always supported them passionately, and see them in the final against Spain. Unless of course the end up in a penalty shoot-out before then. If that happens, it's tickets. I will be supporting South Africa as well, but i don't think they will do anything.

Here are my predictions; I'm sure that there will be plenty of you that will disagree with me and that's great! Feel free to discuss and/or ***** at me.

Group A

2hn7y10.png
France
2dnrkn.png
Uruguay
14uhl38.png
Mexico
11reouu.png
South Africa

Analysis

The opening match between South Africa and Mexico will likely be a deal breaker for this group. South Africa will need a positive result to likely avoid a total disaster, while Mexico may need full points to contend with Uruguay for a spot in the round of 16. Mexico played very well down the stretch of their qualification under Javier Aguirre, but Uruguay played well in a far more difficult qualification group. With strong performances by Diego Forlán and Luis Suárez up front combined with a sturdy defense, Uruguay should be able to push through to the next round, perhaps based on goal difference. France are my pick to win the group with relative ease. Despite the problems they've faced throughout qualification and the ego problems, they do have an incredible side on paper. I wouldn't discount them to show up when it counts.

Group B

auf9sp.png
Argentina
15oaxoh.png
Nigeria
amtan5.png
Korea Republic
2qdv6li.png
Greece

Analysis

Argentina have been given a gift, or more so Diego Maradona has been given a gift. This group should be easy for La Albiceleste with three wins in the bag. The second spot is still up in the air, but I think Nigeria will be able to scrap through. It all comes down to who you believe will be the strongest when it matters the most - match day. This is the weakest group in the tournament.

Group C

2rnfqpv.png
England
futmp3.png
United States of America
303jxx2.png
Slovenia
jhse9e.png
Algeria

Analysis

Most predictions I've read have England and the United States moving on to the next round. I don't think these individuals have any idea of the capabilities of Slovenia or Algeria. If the United States can keep their confidence high regardless of the result against England then they stand a good chance of making it through to the next round. If England lose to the United States coming into their match overconfident then the entire tournament will be a huge disaster. This is very unlikely, but it isn't impossible. Slovenia defeated a strong Russian team in qualification to get to the World Cup finals and played very well against England a few months ago. Their stubborn defense only allowed 4 goals in qualification, so discounting them is a huge mistake. Algeria defeated the defending African Cup of Nations winners and their northern rivals Egypt in a huge clash to get here. Both Slovenia and Algeria could provide nail biters against the United States and England to turn this entire group upside down.

Group D

2h4cabd.png
Germany
23lik21.png
Serbia
1694xs4.png
Ghana
2r7t5qc.png
Australia

Analysis

Germany may have an aging captain that is past his prime, but their youth could provide something really special. Mesut Özil, Toni Kroos and Thomas Müller will likely make it to South Africa and, given the opportunity, they should be able to lift the Germans to a higher pedestal. Depending on Joachim Löw's selections and tactics, this could be a wonderful tournament or simply a decent one for Germany. Serbia looked confident in qualification and have a solid squad that I believe will likely cause a big stir in the tournament. Ghana should provide a good show, but I think the White Eagles will edge them out. Australia will pick up points, but I don't think it will be any wins.

Group E

dcdnc4.png
Netherlands
259yk3n.png
Denmark
e85nco.png
Cameroon
2pyvkvl.png
Japan

Analysis

Holland should be able to power through this group with maximum points from a world class offensive barrage. We all know that their defense isn't strong, but their ability to control the game and maintain possession will relieve most of the pressure. Holland's qualifying group was not strong, but they still won every match with relative ease only allowing two goals in eight matches. Denmark are a strong team that rely on superb teamwork. Their defense looks solid and the offense provides what is needed to get the results they desire. Cameroon on the other hand may be "at home," but their team doesn't have much of a fierce offensive threat outside of world class striker Samuel Eto'o. Aside from a small handful of players this team has too many holes to keep themselves afloat. Japan may even be able to upset Cameroon and make this entire tournament a complete disaster for Les Lions Indomables.

Group F

swws1t.png
Slovakia
2hh3la0.png
Paraguay
6pc8ds.png
Italy
33wsb9d.png
New Zealand

Analysis

Every year there are plenty of skeptics that write Italy off. Those people usually always end up with egg on their faces. I'm usually not one of those people, but the aging Italian side doesn't look good right now in my honest opinion. Marcelo Lippi may be back and as great of a manager that he is I can't see him making miracles for the Azzurri. I'm sure I'll be harassed for this decision, but I'm not discounting Italy completely. Slovakia are my choice to make it through as group winners. They did not have an easy group and still managed to edge out Slovenia and group favorites Czech Republic. Paraguay were strong in qualification early with easy wins over fellow qualifiers Brazil and Chile. Things started to slow down towards the end, but they did also manage a win over Argentina - yet another favorite to win it all. They should claim second place, but I'm not discounting them to take first. As for New Zealand, their only hope for points is that Slovakia get the jitters and blow up, otherwise they will be one of the tournaments two punching bags. I'll let you guess which is the other.

Group G

2dsr3bc.png
Côte d'Ivoire
1b5ab.png
Brazil
2ia924n.png
Portugal
24vobx4.png
Korea DPR

Analysis

The group of death. Brazil are heavy favorites, but this new age for the team is all about choking. It seemed to begin in France '98 in the final against the hosts. Brazil went on to win in 2002 with a tremendous onslaught by Ronaldo, but managed to choke again against the French in Germany. In qualification they gave up points in matches they should have easily won. Their defense is also still in question. In reality it could go very well or very bad for the team. Portugal and Brazil will probably put on one of the best matches of the tournament. That match could very well decide the fate of one or both. Côte d'Ivoire played exceptionally in their qualification to the World Cup and are considered Africa's best hope to go far. I think that they may very well upset Brazil and then watch in delight as Portugal hold the Brazilians to a draw. As for the punching bags, er, Korea DPR, they should bomb out. Let me put it nicely that at least they got this far. Watch for Jong Tae-Se to possibly score their only goal.

Group H

htwody.png
Spain
1zf7hwy.png
Chile
2m2uj5u.png
Switzerland
14dg1l1.png
Honduras

Analysis

Spain are also heavy favorites to win the World Cup and I think they should progress through the tournament without too much trouble. Without a doubt they have the most complete squad in the world with world class players at every position. To put it into the most basic way that I can - they're scary as hell. Chile have a nice squad with a mix of young stars and solid veterans. Plenty of their players have experience abroad. They should be able to make it through in the second spot. Switzerland and Honduras will put up a solid fight for second, so this should be a solid group to watch. Do not miss the match between Chile and Honduras.

Deuxième Partie ...

Round of 16

2hn7y10.png
France
15oaxoh.png
Nigeria

auf9sp.png
Argentina
2dnrkn.png
Uruguay

2rnfqpv.png
England
23lik21.png
Serbia

2h4cabd.png
Germany
futmp3.png
United States of America

dcdnc4.png
Netherlands
2hh3la0.png
Paraguay

swws1t.png
Slovakia
259yk3n.png
Denmark

2dsr3bc.png
Côte d'Ivoire
1zf7hwy.png
Chile

htwody.png
Spain
1b5ab.png
Brazil

Analysis

France should have no trouble dumping Nigeria out of the tournament. Argentina and Uruguay will be one to watch. I think that Charrúas should provide an amazing performance, but Argentina's superior players will pull them through. Here is where the dream ends for England. I wrote that I believe Serbia will cause a stir in the tournament and this is it. They will go through in a tight contest that will thrill the neutral and make supporters on both sides a nervous wreck. Germany will find that the United States are no pushovers, but they should be able to go through by two goals at the end of 90 + minutes.

The Dutch will look to hammer Paraguay, but will find them quite difficult. This will likely be one of the two toughest matches for the Oranje, but they will find a way through. The Slovaks' dream run will end here when they come across a solid Danish team. Côte d'Ivoire will put Chile away by at least a two goal margin to give the continent great hope for an African champion. Spain and Brazil will be the match to watch, but Spain are just that much better.

Quarter-finals

2hn7y10.png
France
23lik21.png
Serbia

dcdnc4.png
Netherlands
2dsr3bc.png
Côte d'Ivoire

auf9sp.png
Argentina
2h4cabd.png
Germany

259yk3n.png
Denmark
htwody.png
Spain

Analysis

I'd love to see France against England here, but a rematch from Group 7 in UEFA qualification will suffice. France defeated Serbia 2-1 early, but Serbia managed a draw in the return leg. I don't think Serbia will be able to make it any further than the quarter-finals, but they won't allow the French to stroll through. The Dutch will have a bit of difficulty against Côte d'Ivoire. Les Éléphants may even go up a goal early, but as the match wears on Holland will show off their world class offense.

A rematch from the 2006 FIFA World Cup is in the works. Germany defeated Argentina on penalty kicks last time, but I don't think it will come to that. I don't think Maradona will be able to pull his messy team through this round and Germany will advance. Spain will blank Denmark and likely win by a two or three goal margin. I like the Danish side, but Spain are just that much better.

Semi-finals

2hn7y10.png
France
dcdnc4.png
Netherlands

2h4cabd.png
Germany
htwody.png
Spain

Analysis

Superior Dutch possession will come in handy because the French are very capable of exposing their defensive issues. Les Bleus have come this far, but the Dutch outfit will be brimming with confidence. Germany and Spain will be quite interesting. I think this one will be a stalemate through most of the match before both sides find gaps to score goals. Either that, or there will be goals early on and a stalemate in the second half. This one may be decided on penalties, but I think the Germans will pull off the big upset leaving Spain in tears.

Third place

2hn7y10.png
France
htwody.png
Spain

Analysis

I'm unsure how either side will play due to their losses in the previous round, but if Spain's superiority is worth anything they will likely be looking to destroy the French side. I'm not going to put it on the table that this one will be a blowout, but it wouldn't surprise me. I suspect that Raymond Domenech and Vicente del Bosque will be out of a job soon enough.

Final

dcdnc4.png
Netherlands
2h4cabd.png
Germany

Analysis

The Dutch will finally win the World Cup. Despite their flaws I just can't overlook the threat they pose to every team in this tournament. Players like Arjen Robben and Wesley Sneijder are leading their respective teams into the UEFA Champions League final. Robin van Persie will be fit to play. Despite being out for such a long time he still managed to be the best player on the pitch for Arsenal in his return. Really, he was the best player on the pitch from either side for that return match despite only being a late sub. There are so many others that I can continue on about, but you're all familiar anyway. Holland's time has come.

2 huge calls there from that brilliantly in depth analysis;

First is the Ivory Coast qualifying ahead of Portugal and second is Serbia beating England.

One I can envisage (Serbia beating England), the other however must be massive odds against. I wouldn't be surprised at a Spain vs Portugal final.

As far as i'm concerned, after the group stage there's no point predicting as anything can happen, once you get there most of the teams are pretty evenly matched, definately by the semi-final

Have a feeling an African team will do well, It's an African summer at altitude, endurance will be huge and the African teams are normally ahead in this area. Seeing as Essien is ruled out it will have to be Cote d'Ivore :)

It's actually winter this side of the equator, team wouldn't last 30 mins in the summer here!

New Zealand All Whites beat Serbia 1-0 in a friendly.

Good result!

Ireland played 2 world cup teams (Paraguay and Algeria) this week and beat both, scoring 5 and conceding 1 :( We should really be there.

After looking at the groups I no longer fancy Ivory Coast to go far, will cause some problems though.

Latest posts