• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

World Cup Ticket Sales

Was pleasantly surprised when they included Manchester in their list of locations that had sold out. Until I looked at the fixtures where just one game is being played in Manchester...England vs Uruguay. Still that's a clever move to have England play there rather than just be based in the south so I commend them for that.

I understand the power base of Union in England is in the south, and while I'm sure plenty of market research by RWC organisers has gone on to ensure the best possible locations to ensure higher attendance I do think the north of Watford has been a little neglected. One game in Manchester and two in Birmingham...the 2nd and 3rd most populous cities in the UK. A couple more in Manchester (to serve the entire north west) would have been a bit more balanced. Perhaps a quarterfinal in Manchester...take one away from the Millenium stadium.

They wanted more matches in Manchester however Old Trafford was pulled out by its owners. Manchester City Stadium owners only allowed for 1 match. That's why a lot of those big Manchester matches were moved to Cardiff.

I got 4 tickets for Australia v Wales Pool A and 4 tickets for the QF match between most probably New Zealand v France or Ireland at the Millenium stadium via the ballot; just got my e-mail confirmation tonight.:) The bad news is my credit card is going to take an almight battering to the tune of £1,105, together with my other expenditure this month. Still, my mates who I pooled together with should come to the rescue and take the other 6 tickets. They better do.:rolleyes:

Just got an e-mail from one of my mates and he got tickets for France v Italy and one of the semis at Twickenham - potentially the ABs v SA (if it results go according to rankings), so looks like I could be going to the at least 3 World Cup matches next year. Wahoo. Better start saving!!!

Last edited:
I got tickets for the England v Fuji opening night game. I'm hoping that means we get to see the opening ceremony too?

Nice one Mumbles. Yes I think you will see the opening ceremony.

I got tickets to England vs Australia and Wales vs Australia through a package with Qantas airlines. They are only section D tickets but the experience is what matters. Excited :D:D

All I got was New Zealand v Tonga (2nd world cup in a row I have seen this fixture). I missed out on Samoa V Scotland and South Africa v Scotland (it will be my 3rd word cup I have been to and the 1st one were I have not seen Scotland)

Been hearing all sorts of things about this ballot process. Sounds like a lot of people were left disappointed and, from what I've seen, the ticket touts are out in force. Is it true that only 20,000 seats at Twickenham were allocated to buyers for this part of the sale? Seen a lot of people complaining that the other 60,000 tickets are going to corporate sponsors, but then I guess there are also the travel packages to take into account. Do any remaining tickets from these get returned and resold later on? I know remaining tickets are going on sale in November, but are they still holding back tickets for the knock-out stages like they've done in previous tournaments? From what I've been reading, it sounds like fans who missed out in the ballot shouldn't write off their chances yet, although I know England vs. Australia and Wales tickets are going to be impossible to get no matter what.

I didn't get even one ticket. I apply for 4 different games and nothing.
I don't know if people outside the 20 participant countries got something.

My question now will be, how they want to sell the rest tickets in November when they had to ballot all 48 games. Not even chance for a "low profile" match.

I think the trick was to apply for the tier of tickets above the cheapest tickets i.e. at £125, rather than the cheapest tickets at £75, which most people applied for. I applied for 11 matches in the ballot - the 3 big England games v Wales, Australia, Fiji and Wales v Australia in Pool A, NZ v Argentina in Pool B, 3 of the 4 QF matches, both semis and the final. I agreed with 5 of my mates to apply for the same matches in the same price categories to increase our chances of getting tickets. 2 of us, including me, have confirmed tickets for 4 matches. Still waiting to see if the other 4 were successful with their applications.

Last edited:
All I got was New Zealand v Tonga (2nd world cup in a row I have seen this fixture). I missed out on Samoa V Scotland and South Africa v Scotland (it will be my 3rd word cup I have been to and the 1st one were I have not seen Scotland)
or you could buy tickets to USA vs Scotland or Japan vs Scotland as i wouldn't think there is a high demand for them.

or you could buy tickets to USA vs Scotland or Japan vs Scotland as i wouldn't think there is a high demand for them.
All of the games in Gloucester are sold out from what I've heard. It only holds around 16,000. I think Scotland vs. USA still had availability though.

I, and my three friends who all applied for 6 games all received nothing too :( .... and I was worried about getting them all! Very disappointing, the touts must have taken a very big chunk.

to be honest, the worst case scenario is that we have another Olympics with vast empty corporate seats.

to be honest, the worst case scenario is that we have another Olympics with vast empty corporate seats.

I applied for four games and got nothing. Nada. What is really annoying to me is that I applied for games at prices where it stated that the matches were "unlikely" to go to ballot. So how did I get nothing? I submitted my application an hour before the deadline too so they should've known how much demand they would have.

I've talked to many English club rugby people who have tickets to basically whatever they want. Like 3 or 4 games and good ones at that. How is that fair? I bet a lot of these end up on the secondary market.

The pricing also made no sense to me. How is Canada vs Ireland double the price as South Africa vs Japan?

I was really hoping to go with my father as it is something we could do together before he is too old (he is nearing 70) but it looks increasingly unlikely. Bummed out.