• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

World Cup Training Camps

Schmidt has been very quiet anyway, unlike Gatland and Lancaster who I've seen mentioned in papers for the past few weeks.

The joy about Schmidt is he is not quoted that much yet Gatland, it seems to me, cannot keep it shut?!!!

The joy about Schmidt is he is not quoted that much yet Gatland, it seems to me, cannot keep it shut?!!!

Sounds like you've got a hard on for Gatland.

Does it annoy you that Lancaster is constantly being quoted in regards to player behavior? Probably not is my guess.

I'm also guessing you're on the bbc website, looking at rugby news which is (not surprisingly) dominated by ore World Cup news on Wales and England....

Last edited:
Was just curious but I do agree that it's mad that Wales are going to Qatar. Apparently Gats has said players should dread training too.

Looking at the pictures that the WRU have put up on Facebook, it's safe to say that the Welsh lads are getting a beasting at the moment.

- - - Updated - - -

Just curious to see what people think is better to do: work on fitness or work on actual rugby?

Personally I think that working on fitness is a risky strategy, furthermore, if a union is unhappy with the physical condition that players are turning up in for the biggest tournament in four years, I would suggest that they re-examine their relationship with these players' clubs. By subjecting players to intense physical effort, you're increasing their chance of picking up an injury.

Just curious to see what people think is better to do: work on fitness or work on actual rugby?

Scotland seem to be also training in a different country. I think it's definitely important to work on fitness, but are these trainign regimes too much? Especially Wales? They've got enough injuries as it is.
At the same time, concentrating on actual rugby is going to be important, too. Just curious to see what people think?

Fitness. Absolutely.

The players first and foremost need a break from rugby so s good month of fitness is perfect.

Secondly, with pro players, you only need 2-3 weeks of structure and set play.

The rest will be filled with core skills and rest.

Do you guys think teams who are doing high altitude training etc will be at an advantage or disadvantage?

Advantage.
@munstermuffin is best placed to talk on this but as i understand it it leads to increased cardio-vascular capacity, more red blood cells are produced, recovery is quicker due to that....

That's why altitude is such a big deal when playing in South Africa.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like you've got a hard on for Gatland.

Does it annoy you that Lancaster is constantly being quoted in regards to player behavior? Probably not is my guess.

I'm also guessing you're on the bbc website, looking at rugby news which is (not surprisingly) dominated by ore World Cup news on Wales and England....

I do not have a high regard for Gatland but it has nothing to do with comparisons with Lancaster, Schmidt, Hansen or PSA!

I just do not like him or the way he behaves whether he is coaching Wales, the Lions or any other team. This has been apparent from my comments over a number of years!!

It would appear to me that you have far more prejudice against the English than most/all people have against Wales particularly as I never even mentioned Lancaster as it was not relevant!!

I do not have a high regard for Gatland but it has nothing to do with comparisons with Lancaster, Schmidt, Hansen or PSA!

I just do not like him or the way he behaves whether he is coaching Wales, the Lions or any other team. This has been apparent from my comments over a number of years!!

It would appear to me that you have far more prejudice against the English than most/all people have against Wales particularly as I never even mentioned Lancaster as it was not relevant!!

So your comments in regards to Gatland (yes I know your stance for years, I've seen it) are founded because you do not like him?

Great logic mate. At least my comments about Lancaster (chosen because he is the other coach in the British media as much or more than Gatland) was actually relevant to what you said. Your comments about Gatland is just an opportunity out of nowhere to slag him off.

Last edited:
My comment about Gatland in this instance would have been equally stated against any other coach who might have said it!!

I cannot see who makes the first approach is relevant when deciding whether the player gets picked!

Imagine Lancaster, for this example only, saying he would pick Strettle as Clermont had made the first approach but, say, refusing to pick Armitage as he had approached Toulon.!!!!

Ridiculous, self serving and soooo open to abuse!!

My comment about Gatland in this instance would have been equally stated against any other coach who might have said it!!

I cannot see who makes the first approach is relevant when deciding whether the player gets picked!

Imagine Lancaster, for this example only, saying he would pick Strettle as Clermont had made the first approach but, say, refusing to pick Armitage as he had approached Toulon.!!!!

Ridiculous, self serving and soooo open to abuse!!

The thing is, your post and then your responding post just stated that you don't like Gatland which is why you made the post. How about you talk about the actual issue instead of just hating on the person who is clearly trying his best to do HIS job properly.

Like your last post for example you actually make a very good point and form a post which can be discussed instead of individual hate.

I definitely agree on some of it and see what you mean.

In the agreement made between the WRU and the regions, if a player does not accept a central contract when offered (or misses a deadline like Faletau has, although we don't know the whole story) I think it is wrong to just scape goat it and say that since he is being sold, he is except.
I would agree that it is setting a very bad precedent.
On the other hand, I would note that in the agreement, following the World Cup, Gatland will have the two exceptions of players who were not contracted outside of Wales before the agreement but whom have not accepted a central contract (Jamie Roberts for eg and priestland after World Cup) but also I think an added player (Faletau possibly). Gatland is not abusing it currently and has explained how it works in interviews, explaining he truth instead of the outright nonsense some of the bbc articles contain.
If Faletau goes to bath and Gatland calls him up, that doesn't automatically mean he is abusing 'gatlands law', as long as he stays within that agreed amount of exceptions (I think 3 after World Cup) however if he goes over that mark and calls him up 'because he was sold for financial reasons but refused a central contract too' then I'd agree that it would be abuse and undermining.

People need to understand the agreement though (here but especially the media), it's not being abused as some seem to think it is already and some people clearly don't understand the position Wales is in. If we had the money other nations have then we could keep every player on Wales, but sadly we are no where near that.

Last edited:
Advantage.
@munstermuffin is best placed to talk on this but as i understand it it leads to increased cardio-vascular capacity, more red blood cells are produced, recovery is quicker due to that....

That's why altitude is such a big deal when playing in South Africa.

You got it in 1 there. It increases lung capacity basically meaning you keep going that bit more. It improves injuries as the more your body adjusts the blood supply spreads also.

Regards people saying Ireland are very quiet. It's because they're not up and going fully yet. It's funny altitude is mentioned as in UL a lot of athletes come for "altitude training" where your hooked up to a mask. And while both are very beneficial it's literally like 2 separate things.

On a crazy note Munster back preseason Monday morning. These summers are flying.

Heard rumours too the Georgian team coming to Galway as part of their preparations.

Last edited by a moderator:
So your comments in regards to Gatland (yes I know your stance for years, I've seen it) are founded because you do not like him?

Great logic mate. At least my comments about Lancaster (chosen because he is the other coach in the British media as much or more than Gatland) was actually relevant to what you said. Your comments about Gatland is just an opportunity out of nowhere to slag him off.

Oh will you **** off Jbobo . Why everytime anyone says anything about the Welsh are you there writing essays about it . Between you and Valley Commando you are always picking at England . I don't lose any sleep over it . I think you need to grow up to be honest .....

Some people don't like warren gatland . That's the way it is . He's hardly an overly likeable person . He's always in the press mouthing off . He's not an Adam Jones or a Phil Vickery where they are really hard not to like . A lot of the time he comes across very arrogant tbh

Last edited:
Oh will you **** off Jbobo . Why everytime anyone says anything about the Welsh are you there writing essays about it . Between you and Valley Commando you are always picking at England . I don't lose any sleep over it . I think you need to grow up to be honest .....

Some people don't like warren gatland . That's the way it is . He's hardly an overly likeable person . He's always in the press mouthing off . He's not an Adam Jones or a Phil Vickery where they are really hard not to like . A lot of the time he comes across very arrogant tbh

Yet another post with little substance and completely based on personal hatred for a guy instead of actually talking about rugby. I'll refer you to my post above as it pretty much explains my response to your crappy unsubstantiated points.

Cheers

As far as I understand, and the English management have also stated, that any cardiovascular (extra red blood cells) benefits will have worn off by the time the actual RWC starts. However, altitude apparently encourages burning of fat, so that's useful, and training at altitude should in theory allow it to be easier to train whilst fatigued (very easy to get fatigued at high altitude), which is exactly the sort of preparation the players need. It's all well and good being able to perform in the 1st minute, it's keeping focused enough to keep performing when you're exhausted that is needed.

Does anyone remember what their country did for previous world cups? I can't remember what Ireland did under Kidney or O'Sullivan. Did they do training abroad? I'm just wondering why Schmidt has opted against it.

Does anyone remember what their country did for previous world cups? I can't remember what Ireland did under Kidney or O'Sullivan. Did they do training abroad? I'm just wondering why Schmidt has opted against it.

I'm half ******. But Ireland used to go to Poland or lanzArorte

I'm half ******. But Ireland used to go to Poland or lanzArorte

Schmidt is making me very intrigued. He announced the squad so late, isn't going abroad for training camps and has hardly been in the media (although, maybe Gats is just in the media too much).

Schmidt is making me very intrigued. He announced the squad so late, isn't going abroad for training camps and has hardly been in the media (although, maybe Gats is just in the media too much).

Probably isn't in media as camp isn't in full swing yet like the other teams.
Being honest I think we've all the facilities we need right here in Ireland so no need to go away and as was stated by BG8 I think Schmidt has a chance to run his preseason like a club team. He won't waste it by going abroad for sake of it.
The squad was announced to media late but Keatley for example knew as early as 2 weeks ago he was out. The players were given notification of their status.

Latest posts