• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

World Rankings after Rd 3

How are these worked out? I don't think that all of these are necessarily right. I mean, the Ireland, England France contention seems about right, but shouldn't Wales be nearer the SH teams, given their performance against Australia in the Autumn, and I swear Fiji are better than Scotland (although I must admit I haven't seen them play in a while)

1 win out of 3 against the SH at home, I know they did better than everyone else but it's not exactly worth shouting from the rooftops either. They got nothing out of the Summer tests either, so their place is about right as far as I'm concerned.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (iWin @ Feb 16 2009, 10:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
How are these worked out? I don't think that all of these are necessarily right. I mean, the Ireland, England France contention seems about right, but shouldn't Wales be nearer the SH teams, given their performance against Australia in the Autumn, and I swear Fiji are better than Scotland (although I must admit I haven't seen them play in a while)[/b]

Like it was explained before, WC ranking point are more valuable. Also if you beat a team with more ranking points you get more in return. Wales beat one SH team at home during 2008, that's 1 out of 5 games. 2 those losses at home. They probably didn't gain any points overall from their SH matches. They did get the 6N grandslam but of the teams are on low rankings so they did get much from that either.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Steve-o @ Feb 16 2009, 09:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (iWin @ Feb 16 2009, 10:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How are these worked out? I don't think that all of these are necessarily right. I mean, the Ireland, England France contention seems about right, but shouldn't Wales be nearer the SH teams, given their performance against Australia in the Autumn, and I swear Fiji are better than Scotland (although I must admit I haven't seen them play in a while)[/b]

Like it was explained before, WC ranking point are more valuable. Fiji did well in the WC. Scotland and Wales didn't. Also if you beat a team with more ranking points you get more in return. Wales beat one SH team at home during 2008, that's 1 out of 5 games. 2 those losses at home. They probably didn't gain any points overall from their SH matches. They did get the 6N grandslam but all of the teams are on low rankings so they did get much from that either.
[/b][/quote]

they would have got plenty from the wins over England and France considering how far they went in the tournament.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Feb 16 2009, 10:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Steve-o @ Feb 16 2009, 09:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (iWin @ Feb 16 2009, 10:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Like it was explained before, WC ranking point are more valuable. Fiji did well in the WC. Scotland and Wales didn't. Also if you beat a team with more ranking points you get more in return. Wales beat one SH team at home during 2008, that's 1 out of 5 games. 2 those losses at home. They probably didn't gain any points overall from their SH matches. They did get the 6N grandslam but all of the teams are on low rankings so they did get much from that either.
[/b][/quote]

they would have got plenty from the wins over England and France considering how far they went in the tournament.
[/b][/quote]
They could have, it would depend where on the rankings list England and France were during the 2008 6N

well England would have been quite a bit ahead of them having made the final and that was the first game so Wales would have got their biggest boost from that game, they would have got the maximum points available to them for beating Scotland and Wales by 15 points, Ireland away wouldn't have done them any harm given they were away from home and they again got the maximum available to them by beating France by 17 points.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Feb 16 2009, 10:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
well England would have been quite a bit ahead of them having made the final and that was the first game so Wales would have got their biggest boost from that game, they would have got the maximum points available to them for beating Scotland and Wales by 15 points, Ireland away wouldn't have done them any harm given they were away from home and they again got the maximum available to them by beating France by 17 points.[/b]

Eventhough England were ahead of them they were probably around 5th themselves at the time. If i remember correctly Wales were near 10th after the WC and especially after getting beaten by SA just after the WC. In light of that it's an impressive climb up the ladder but they still look average since the rankings reward consistency over a period of time.

the Wales South Africa post world cup match wouldn't have had any impact on the rankings as there would have been too big a gap between the sides. You're right though to go from 10th at the start of the last 6N to 4th now is some move, even if they win the grand slam though they'll be still in 4th place after the tournament.

Not that I'm getting carried away, or that I pay any attention to stupid rankings but ........

If we beat England, Scotland and Wales, I assume its just a matter of hammering those mickey mouse teams from down south a few times before we are returned to our rightful place of eh....................... fourth?

if we win the grand slam we'll go fourth even if we win all our matches by 1 point.

The fact France are eighth is a travesty. Behind England and Argentina, no less. :lol:

I can't believe Scotland are now ranked higher in Rugby League than we are in Union (albeit only by a single place)!

I'm glad that Georgian team is on 14th. I hope they have good chance to win in the game whith Russian team!!! :banswor:

England and France trade places following the weekend's action, Ireland close in on Wales and Argentina who also trade places.

1(1) NEW ZEALAND 92.68
2(2) SOUTH AFRICA 89.45
3(3) AUSTRALIA 85.86
4(5) ARGENTINA 81.56
5(4) WALES 81.47
6(6) IRELAND 81.18
7(8) FRANCE 80.14
8(7) ENGLAND 79.68
9(9) SCOTLAND 76.19
10(10) FIJI 75.24
11(12) SAMOA 72.57
12(11) ITALY 72.56
13(13) TONGA 70.05
14(15) GEORGIA 69.23
15(14) CANADA 69.12
16(17) JAPAN 68.05
17(18) RUSSIA 66.91
18(16) ROMANIA 66.58
19(19) USA 63.55
20(20) URUGUAY 62.78
21(21) SPAIN 59.73
22(22) PORTUGAL 59.56
23(23) KOREA 59.02
24(24) CHILE 56.84
25(25) NAMIBIA 56.82
26(26) GERMANY 55.74
27(27) BELGIUM 55.12
28(28) BRAZIL 55.00
29(29) TUNISIA 53.37
30(30) HONG KONG 53.16

I need something to complain about so here goes... HOW THE FRICK ARE ARGENTINA EVEN IN THE TOP 7?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sir. Speedy @ Mar 2 2009, 11:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I need something to complain about so here goes... HOW THE FRICK ARE ARGENTINA EVEN IN THE TOP 7?[/b]

double points from the world cup semi final appearance and they play **** all test matches as it is so their ranking stays still while others yo-yo throughout the season.

Wrong, it's because they're a bunch of man-whores who cheat the system! BURN THEM ALL I SAY!

There were a couple of results in the European Nations Cup/World Cup qualifying over the weekend too. Georgia demolished Spain by 55-11 which sees the Lelos move up one from 15th to 14th in the rankings. Perhaps even bigger was Russia's defeat of Romania in Bucharest which sees the former leapfrog the Oaks into 17th spot. Georgia and Russia are the only undefeated teams left in the competition after 3 games and both seem well placed to qualify for the 2011 World Cup. Next up Georgia face Romania in Tblisi. If Georgia win (which they should), it sets up a massive clash against Russia on the 21st of March while also leaving Portugal and Romania to battle it out for third spot and an opportunity to get into the 2011 World Cup via the back door.

Latest posts