• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

World Rugby raises Test eligibility to five years

he was already a massive talent when he moved there.
Where was he showing this talent? Cause he had been living/playing in England for 2-3 years before getting picked up by the Tigers academy

Where was he showing this talent? Cause he had been living/playing in England for 2-3 years before getting picked up by the Tigers academy
Just because he played in Samoa doesn't mean he didn't exist. He played in college 7 reps team. He was already strong and fast before going to England.
Not to mention he was in the collegiate athletics team for shot put. But let's just pretend that unlike his brothers England is the sole reason he's a good rugby player and not his Samoan genetics or his devopment in Samoa. Typical English.

Last edited:
It's only a poach if the player was specifically bought to a country to play rugby(like Hartley). For any other reason it's just the modern world we live in its time to get over it.

It's only a poach if the player was specifically bought to a country to play rugby(like Hartley). For any other reason it's just the modern world we live in its time to get over it.
So sorry how is he English? My whole point is they should have some connection. Maybe a passport to the country he represents or family connection?
U do know his whole name is manu samoa tuilagi?

Just because he played in Samoa doesn't mean he didn't exist. He played in college 7 reps team. He was already strong and fast before going to England.
Not to mention he was in the collegiate athletics team for shot put. But let's just pretend that unlike his brothers England is the sole reason he's a good rugby player and not his Samoan genetics or his devopment in Samoa. Typical English.

Dunno about that. It says that in 2010 he faced deportation due to staying in the UK after his holiday visa expired which he used to enter the UK 6 years previously. That would mean that he came to England in 2004 which would have put his age at around 13.

He must have shown some fantastic potential at 13

Dunno about that. It says that in 2010 he faced deportation due to staying in the UK after his holiday visa expired which he used to enter the UK 6 years previously. That would mean that he came to England in 2004 which would have put his age at around 13.

He must have shown some fantastic potential at 13
U know what college is? Or maybe u know it as high school?
This just proves my point. He doesn't have passport. England are just buying players from other countries. He's not an English citizen.
Samoa gets nothing whilst tier1 nations raid all their players and rest of the pacific.
This eligibility rule is joke and only helps the haves

This just proves my point. He doesn't have passport. England are just buying players from other countries. He's not an English citizen.
Samoa gets nothing whilst tier1 nations raid all their players and rest of the pacific.

You say he was strong and fast before going to England and also mention the fact he played 7s at College.

He went to College in England and as biology would suggest he most likely developed his strength and speed between the ages of 13 - 18 whilst in England.

To say that England are buying players from other countries is a load of rubbish. Bought players are generally considered as 'project players' and the biggest buyers of them are Ireland and Scotland.

No one forced Manu to stay in England.

This is bloody stupid every nation has at one point or another has taken a kid and then raised them through their rugby systems.

And how do you know he doesn't have and British passport or citizenship? Hes eligible for both long before he okayed for us.

Your point is well made and I can appreciate why it's an issue you care about.

But imho, you're coming over as way too aggressive about it.

So you've mentioned that you'd want a familial link, what else would you change?
How do you get around the players in question wanting to make as much money as they can to support their families?

What if someone moved over when they are 3? are they not tied to that country then?

This is bloody stupid every nation has at one point or another has taken a kid and then raised them through their rugby systems.

And how do you know he doesn't have and British passport or citizenship? Hes eligible for both long before he okayed for us.

You're right but I don't think it's specifically aimed at England tbh, it's just a case in point.

I remember being very surprised that a player could turn out for a country without the appropriate passport - Can't remember which player it was but I think it was news about an 'English' (Saffer) second row going back 'home' that alerted me to it (a few years ago now but I was embarrassingly late working that out given my age).

All Manus family was here and he grew up here. I find it really strange that out of all the players who have been 'project' players you choose to pick Manu who is english.

I find this whole moan quite funny, we've had vainikolo play for us, Riki Flutey, M Botha (just off the top of my head) who you could have a dig at but not Manu.

All Manus family was here and he grew up here. I find it really strange that out of all the players who have been 'project' players you choose to pick Manu who is english.

I find this whole moan quite funny, we've had vainikolo play for us, Riki Flutey, M Botha (just off the top of my head) who you could have a dig at but not Manu.

Yeah it was a bad example. Brad Barrit would even have been a better example...

But I don't want this thread to derail into another "Who stole the most pacific islanders" thread. So let's all move on shall we?

I remember being very surprised that a player could turn out for a country without the appropriate passport - Can't remember which player it was but I think it was news about an 'English' (Saffer) second row going back 'home' that alerted me to it (a few years ago now but I was embarrassingly late working that out given my age).

The closest fit to this I can think of is Hendre Fourie, who won a few caps on the flank. As I recall, he was forced to retire with a shoulder injury. At this point, the sporting visa that was enabling him to stay in England became invalid and there was talk of him being deported to South Africa. I suspect the whole affair was a bit of a trial by media and not as dramatic as it was made to sound to sell papers. As far as I know, he remains in the country.

Your point is valid. I can't see why it shouldn't be reasonable to require players to be citizens of the country that they wish to represent. This would have cleared up a lot of nonsense over the years.

Your point is well made and I can appreciate why it's an issue you care about.
yeah I apologise to Ncurd and others. I'm straying from my point in that these eligibility rules don't help minnow nation s at all and just perpetuates the status quo. ie if tuilagi gets discarded by England then he'll never get to play for Samoa. This also applies to fekitoa and naholo

On that the bit more funny is guys can switch between codes and represent different countries like hasn't some New Zealand guys played RL for Aus etc.

And some England centres. I guess that legislating for that would be unpalatable as it would require World Rugby to acknowledge that League exists!

On that the bit more funny is guys can switch between codes and represent different countries like hasn't some New Zealand guys played RL for Aus etc.

Yep. Kangaroos have been All Blacks. Brad Thorn comes to mind.

Last edited:

Latest posts