• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

World Rugby to vote on easing rules on player Test team switches

Piutau, Folau, Milner-Skudder Tonga back 3...

With Laumape and Fekitoa in the centres.

Mad
you'd love to see it though wouldn't ya, could be epic

Josh Ioane is an interesting one, a couple of months ago yes, i think changing to Samoa was a very strong possibility, but after the NPC there has been a lot of chat about him being back on the rise, when on form he's up there with probably the 3rd choice 10 for the AB's....so does he look to build and push for a RWC spot? when the Highlanders released him he also chose the chiefs over Moana Pasifika so he might identify more with his Maori/New Zealand Heritage

have to say i would have liked some tier control over it thought

Depends really on the system and the country and how much support they get. Also I think the current situation is awful. I would have a rule that if you play for a country at u20's level then you can't be capped by another country for 3 years. I will be blunt here, but mainly Scotland has started a race to the bottom to cap young, potential players who are eligible for more than one country. I don't like it as young players who aren't necessarily ready are getting capped to tie them to countries and that's not how the system works. You are right when you say this is an extension of the current system and I don't like the possibility that some countries might intentionally try to poach younger players, say 23-26 who actually in a couple years could play internationally with some improvement.
Yeah I broadly agree in not being a massive fan of the current system, I just don't see this as worse.

Comment on Scotland probably fair, think we're the only union who actively have a team looking for eligible players. Not a new phenomenon though, except possibly in the early capping of young players and that still happens less than I'd expect.

I guess that's where the case by case basis comes into play

Honestly wonder if Zach Mercer might look at New Zealand, dude would fit really well with them.
So want Paul Hill and Kvesic to play for Germany but doubt they would risk losing money to play for a team that isn't in the RWC.

So some things we could see by next RWC.
Samoa
Victor Vito
Ben Lam
Francis Saili
Josh Ioane
Julien Savea
Denny Solomona
Steven Luatua
Charlie Faumuina
Lima Sopoaga
To'omaga Allen

Tonga
Charles Piutau
Ngani Laumape
Augustine Pulu
Vaea Fifita
Atu Moli
Nehe Milner-Skudder

Fiji
Nathan Hughes
Seta Tamanivalu
Waisake Naholo
Tevita Kuridrani

Spain
Jordi Murphy

USA
Jack Carty

Canada
Luke McGrath

(Obvs the don't see Murphy or McGrath changing though).
A good chunk of this list is well over 30 now. In 2yrs time, a lot of them will be in the 32-34 age bracket. Honestly, I'm not sure how much value that adds?

If I were Tonga, I'd be way more interested in someone like Manu Vunipola.

Comment on Scotland probably fair, think we're the only union who actively have a team looking for eligible players.
I imagine Italy does as well - they're capping foreigners real early (think Varney was 18?)

Just need a 10.
Pulu and Takulua good 9 options.
Veainu and George Moala on the bench

I guess Samoa could have
5. Vui, 6. Luatua, 8 Vito
10. Sopoaga
12. Nonu (Who knows), 13. Saili
11. Savea, 14. Lam, 15. Nani Williams

With two top Tightheads in Faumuina and Ala'alatoa

Would love to see Jordi Murphy play for Spain though especially with how well they are improving along with Guilhem Guirado and sam hidalgo clyne
Nanai Williams has already, and only, played for samoa.

i think
A good chunk of this list is well over 30 now. In 2yrs time, a lot of them will be in the 32-34 age bracket. Honestly, I'm not sure how much value that adds?

If I were Tonga, I'd be way more interested in someone like Manu Vunipola.
2-3 experienced players is possibly what teams like tonga need, they have a lot of natural talent, but as these guys get older and more experienced they are often not available for the international team, i think it could really help them

Yeah I broadly agree in not being a massive fan of the current system, I just don't see this as worse.

Comment on Scotland probably fair, think we're the only union who actively have a team looking for eligible players. Not a new phenomenon though, except possibly in the early capping of young players and that still happens less than I'd expect.
Ireland have an 'exile' system set up in the UK. They have underage teams that play against the provinces. Has produced full internationals in the past and even lions. We pride ourselves on finding people with very lose connections to the country and using them to improve our sports teams/country. Some don't even have any connection, see Tony Cascarino! There is also a petrol station named after Barack Obama to attract American tourists as his very distant ancesters are from a nearby village

I think every country has scouts following and finding people who are eligible to play for them but playing elsewhere. England and Brad shields for example.

I think every country has scouts following and finding people who are eligible to play for them but playing elsewhere. England and Brad shields for example.
Yeah Wales has an active Exiles programme, focussed mainly but not exclusively on England.

There haven't really been that many pacific island all blacks who have left recently, apart from laumape. As has been said, a lot of the ex all blacks are old now. This rule would have had a much bigger effect if it had been in time for the last World Cup. Still, like @Kiwiwomble said, a few experienced players could make a big difference yo the pacific teams.

I imagine it could encourage all blacks to quit the all blacks earlier, go make some money and then play for their other country. There are loads of people in New Zealand who feel allegiance to both countries/ teams, and would love the chance to play for both.

Last edited:
Thats not correct, England don't do this because players have to play in the premiership. The club might look abroad but not england.

i think

2-3 experienced players is possibly what teams like tonga need, they have a lot of natural talent, but as these guys get older and more experienced they are often not available for the international team, i think it could really help them
Fair enough.

Tonga could actually do well out of it.

Laumape, Piutau, Fifita, Moli and Milner-Skudder are all young enough to be in decent fettle for the RWC. Add Manu Vunipola at 10 to replace Morath too.

Did Adam Coleman play for Australia in the AIs? If not, he'd be a good one for them to pick up. If he didn't play in the AIs, his last game for the Wallabies would have been in the 2019 RWC so he'd be eligible next Autumn. I seem to remember his dad played for Tonga?

Latest posts